+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3246032;
    I LOVE Wait, Wait, Don't tell me.
    Count me in too! I am an admitted NPR junkie. When I lived in AK, I listened to public radio sporadically, but once I moved to MN I was a lost cause. MN has the best public radio programming (IMO, of course )!!

On the evening on one of the presidential debates my 15 year old came in the living room and sat down and said "Is the debate starting". I (slightly surprised) told him it was about to come on and he nonchalantly said "Yea, I heard about it on public radio". I (completely dumbstruck, but trying not to show it) said "You were listening to public radio!?". He was just like "Yea". I must be having some positive influence on my kids after all!!!

Later on I told this story to my mom and she said "REALLY, my grandson listens to public radio!?!?!? I can't WAIT to tell all my friends!!!!" We really are a family of public radio dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3245356;
    Actually, I found a pair of what I would call "modified skinny-leg jeans" - or more accurately, "age-appropriate skinny-leg jeans" - at Wal-Mart, of all places. They are a Levi's brand, and the legs are not tight, but they're not wide enough to be called boot-cut. The waist sits high enough so you don't flash crack when you sit, and it's also cut a little larger for those of us who no longer have a waist. They cost me all of $19.99 and they're my new favourite things. I haven't had a pair of jeans that fit me this well for years. Jeans are always too tight in the waist and too big in the legs for me.

Having said all that, I don't really care for the look on boys either. But I do think I prefer the skinny jeans to the hanging-off-the-ass variety.
    So funny! That you for that!

I came in here to wish that the Osmonds, all of them (they breed like rabbits), no longer appear on my television screen EVER.

Ohmygosh, I just read back...and I absolutely adore NPR (and PBS). I've never heard some of those shows mentioned.

My faves are "All Things Considered" (of course!) and I truly love the Sunday morning show, the name escapes me, but it's produced by Ira. That show is beyond brilliant.

And I am proud to say that I was in the audience for a "Prairie Home Companion" show, in the dead of winter in MN. It was wonderful (of course!).

Ira Glass's show is "This American Life." My absolute favorite.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Oh I just LOVE This American Life, Wait Wait! Don't tell me and Car talk.
    I also just love The infinate mind on Science Fridays.

A fad (or maybe it's not a fad?) I don't care for is women dragging their big purses out to the bars and clubs to go dancing. Really? You are going to need all of that stuff on the dance floor? For me, if it can't fit in my jeans pocket it doesn't go with me. Billfold with ID in the back right pocket. Lip gloss up in the front.
    I don't even like having to lug my keys around with me, but I am certainly not leaving them in the vehicle.
    And a cell phone? Ug! I will if I have to for some reason, but You can't hear in the bar anyway..

My friends bring these giant purses filled with everything imaginable and then they have to find someone to watch them... somewhere to keep them... or they get out on the dance floor with them slung over their arm.
    When I go out dancing, I go to break a sweat! haha I had one friend who kept a hairbrush and a full size bottle of body spray in her bag. As well as all the makeup she wore out. Just put it on before you leave home!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Sorry, ClosetNerd, I know this will piss you off, but I never go anywhere without a book and a bottle of water, so I need the big bag. And since I've got the bag, I might as well bring the camera (also always with me) and the lightweight pashmina in case of extreme air conditioning or evening temperature drop. And because I have the bag, I'm the go-to girl for safety pins, bandaids, Advil, nail file and a pair of mini-pliers. Somebody's got to carry all this crap for the rest of the crowd and the person who didn't bring a bag always asks me for something..
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Now I know where to go next time I'm out dancing and need mini-pliers!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've used them to fix heels, zippers, glasses, purse straps and just yesterday at work, someone's broken brooch, so it's not quite as silly as it sounds to carry them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think that it is a good thing to be prepared! My mom is NEVER without a purse full of band-aids, safety pins and all sorts of other useful stuff. I've tried to copy her, but I cannot figure out how she gets all of this stuff in her purse. I may end up carting a toolbox around!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3246751;
    My mom is NEVER without a purse full of band-aids, safety pins and all sorts of other useful stuff.
    That's me too. I also carry a little sewing kit with scissors, a mini flashlight, clear nail polish for pantyhose runs, superglue and pepper spray.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread