+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 238 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I didn't read all the way upthread, but did anyone mention the fake-"wear" stripes on jeans? Gawd, those bleached out pant legs look so stupid.
    I don't know either if it's been mentioned, but I saw a pair the other day and thought to myself "gotta post when I get home", but subsequently forgot. I thought those things were gone, but apparently not.

Actually, anything "decorative" done by the manufacturer to jeans must stop. No fancy washin' (acid, stone, whatever), no fancy wear patterns, no slicing, no dicing, no shredding, no adding of studs, rivets, eyelets or rhinestones. If people want to tart up their trousers, let them use their own imagination and effort - that should pretty much put a stop to the whole silly display.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just heard of a new fad called A Babymoon. (a take on the Honeymoon)

It's when a couple who are expecting take an expensive vacation to celebrate their last time on earth of singledom ie no kids. Some couples spend $3500 on a trip before the baby comes! The mothers are normally 4-6 months pregnant. I don't know, but if I were expecting a baby or planning a family, the last thing I would do is spend that amount of money that could go towards necessities, education funds, and possible emergencies. But then again, if I had the money, maybe I would.

To me this sounds like just another "hand in your pocket" to get people to spend money on airline tickets, cruises, hotels, restaurants, and the like. They're trying to start another tradition that is consumer/money/oriented. And I'll bet that many of these couples, even if they don't go "overboard" on a trip, have some debt of one kind or another.

If Hallmark comes out with a card celebrating your Babymoon, trust me, it's all about the money!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well, I would hope that cards don't come out about the babymoon and that people that don't have it don't try to spend it. However, if a couple does have it to spend, they should. It really isn't ever the same after kids come along. Some relationships may get better and some may get worse, but they aren't the same. So I think it is a nice idea to do something as a couple, but only if they have the splurging money for it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I don't see anything wrong with one last vacation before the baby comes. The only thing that seems off is spending that kind of money. Then again, if I ever get married again I want a cheapie wedding in front of the justice of the peace like last time. I could never see spending that kind of money on a wedding. I am a cheapskate.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Well our BIG vacation (in Maui) before baby resulted in a baby 9 months later!!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Like someone else said before, those "destroyed" looking jeans. They're not all that great, and the thing is, half the time they're more expensive than regular jeans! If someone wants jeans that look worn, they should just buy regular ones and "destroy" them themselves, instead of paying extra money pointlessly. JMO.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

I have jeans that look "destroyed" but that's because they are a few years old. I prefer real wear & tear to "planned" wear & tear anyway, they are so comfy. Another thing is these tie dyed shirts -- OH PUHLEEZE -- Didn't people do that themselves in the 1970s'? Why pay for it?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with one last vacation before the baby comes. The only thing that seems off is spending that kind of money. Then again, if I ever get married again I want a cheapie wedding in front of the justice of the peace like last time. I could never see spending that kind of money on a wedding. I am a cheapskate.
    I'm with you there. Married twice - city hall, no gift policy both times. Had excellent BYOB parties both times that are generally considered to be the best weddings any of my friends have ever gone to, plus no stress and something left to spend on the honeymoon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Rattus- I might do that. We could start a new "red-neck wedding" fad. We have been considering it due to the high cost.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Rattus- I might do that. We could start a new "red-neck wedding" fad. We have been considering it due to the high cost.
    I've got to say, my first wedding (though not my first marriage) was the most fun I've ever had, and all the attendees honestly did have a great time. After the ceremony, the spouse and I, his parents and our few closest friends went to a restaurant with a rooftop patio where we had a meal and a few beverages and made merry for a while. After the meal, the in-laws headed home and we went to the House of Laughs (that was the name of a friend's house) where a huge party was thrown for us. It worked out great for everyone - the parents got their more refined time to celebrate genteely, the young folk got to rock, nobody had to spend any time or money on a gift, and all the money that I COULD have spent on a single evening I got to spend on art, records, books and jewellery while in New York on my honeymoon.

ETA: Oh yeah, none of my friends (you know, people I love) had to wear a hideous dress.
    Last edited by Rattus; 02-21-2006 at 11:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread