+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

I'm sorry, but "a historical" just does not sound right to me. "A history" sounds just fine, so I guess it's the second syllable accent that makes the difference. I try not to sweat small language changes like that, though. Languages change all the time. Remember that Spanish, French, Italian, and Portugese all started off as one language (Latin) and over time, those small, continual changes made them different languages altogether. History lesson over.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Now, see, my ears/brain want consistency. If you're going to say "an 'IStorical" I think for consistency's sake you should say "an 'IStory" and "an 'IStorian"...which sounds totally ridiculous to me. The English language is nutsy enough without what I would call "this kind of drama". I say we go back to the times where every letter in the word is pronounced and you don't have to try to remember inane language rules. There IS no point to silent letters that really benefits anyone. I vote that if it's silent....don't include it!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The "an historic" thing bothers me too. What also bugs me is when people say, "I want to try and change this", instead of saying "I want to try to change this". And I've always hated when people say, "lets don't do that" instead of "lets not do that".

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3206825;
    Now, see, my ears/brain want consistency. If you're going to say "an 'IStorical" I think for consistency's sake you should say "an 'IStory" and "an 'IStorian"...which sounds totally ridiculous to me. The English language is nutsy enough without what I would call "this kind of drama". I say we go back to the times where every letter in the word is pronounced and you don't have to try to remember inane language rules. There IS no point to silent letters that really benefits anyone. I vote that if it's silent....don't include it!!
    So, that would be "the English language is nutsy enuf"?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think writing trends follow speaking trends. "A history" isn't hard to say, but "A historical" is. The 'a' and 'h' blend together and sound like two parts of one sound - ahhh - because in the word 'historical' the emphasis is on the second syllable - hisTORical, so the 'h' sound gets lost in the ahhh. With history, the first syllable containing the 'h' sound is emphasized, so it is better separated from the 'a' preceeding it.

When I speak, I automatically but 'an' before historical, so I guess it follows that I write the same way. ??? I don't know, I don't know what the actual rule is, seems like the general rule is to put the 'an' before vowel sounds, so if the h is silent and a vowel sound is in the first syllable the 'an' would go before it, but then there are exceptions to the rule. I think it's easier and flows better.

So...is it normal to forget how to spell words you've spelled before? Does that ever happen to you, where you just kind of have a brain blip? Or should I make an appt with my neurologist?

onei, that happens to me all the time. I'll type or write a word and think that just doesn't look right.

I do that too! When I was going into the hospital to have my boys, had to sign my name SO many times that by the end of the paperwork I was litterally second guessing the spelling of my own name. I had to go back through the papers and make sure they were all correct!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Thank goodness it's not just me. The other day I wrote the word "off" and thought - what? That can't be right. So I tried 'of' - no, that's 'of' - 'oof' - that's obviously not right - yeah, must be 'off'. LOL! Then I start to freak out that something is wrong with me. It happens to me occasionally but when it does it really makes me feel like I've lost my mind. It feels like hearing a word that you've heard a million times but all of a sudden it sounds funny. Like if you say, 'crisps' over and over. It starts to sound weird, doesn't it?

Exactly!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

It's wierd that sometimes I forget how to spell "weird".

+ Reply to Thread