+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

I know where to find the missing N. It gets tacked on to 'a' when used with 'historic.' It grates my nerves to hear 'an historic.' Why on earth would anyone think that's correct?? I remember reading in one of my high-school English classes that "only an illiterate would say 'an historic' " and I've dedicated my life (or at least sporadic seconds here and there) to trying to find the source of that quote. When I do, I am going to staple the citation to the forehead of anyone who utters that annoying phrase.

"The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Actually at one time, "an historic" was the preferred usuage, but it has changed with time. It's now considered "archiac" to use "an" before history, historic, etc.

Pronunciamentos: Saying It Right : NPR
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate it when people say "-umble", with no pronounced 'h'. That may be a regional thing, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The dropped "H" pronunciation of words reminds me of a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. The main character, Larry (from New York) met a guy named Hugh, but pronounced it "you" because he drops Hs. Hugh took serious offense to it. He thought Larry had forgotten his name, as Larry would say, 'Hi, You'. Hugh called Larry out on it and Larry insisted that he was calling him by his name. At the end of the episode, Larry got mad at Hugh and said, 'Hey, F*** H-H-HUGH' LOL! I love that show.

Newfherder, you are going to hate me for this, but I say and write 'an historic'. I was an English major back in college, no one ever corrected me on it either. ???

I, too, am a user of "an historic", as are, apparently, 30% of the population. Below is an excerpt from "The Correct Word: How to Use It" by Josephine Turck Baker:

In the case of words beginning with h, an is always required when h is silent; as "an heir;" when h is aspirated, a is required, unless the accent is on the second syllable, when an is used; as "a history; "an historian."
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3206159;
    I, too, am a user of "an historic", as are, apparently, 30% of the population. Below is an excerpt from "The Correct Word: How to Use It" by Josephine Turck Baker:
    Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, too. An a followed by h is a toughie, it kind of runs together and sounds funny, especially if the emphasis is not on the 'h'...

I used to be a very good writer, and somewhere along the way I've lost track of all those rules...plus I've gotten sloppy, I suppose. I do remember distinctly using 'an' before words like 'historian' or 'historical' and never being corrected by all of those fussy profs. I'm guessing either is okay. Some regions really pronounce the 'h' sound in some of these words, and some don't. Like in the US, it's typical that people pronounce herb 'erb' but in the UK I thnk it's more common to pronounce the H in that word. So US = an herb but UK = a herb...?

Gosh, I remember writing paper after paper and knowing all the citation rules by heart. I seriously don't remember them at all at this point. When I started law school they used a completely different way of citation and so I had to learn that, and now it's just a soupy mess.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3206185;
    I used to be a very good writer, and somewhere along the way I've lost track of all those rules...plus I've gotten sloppy, I suppose.
    Me too. I just realized that I wrote "as are 30% of the population" when I should have written "as is 30% of the population".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3206188;
    Me too. I just realized that I wrote "as are 30% of the population" when I should have written "as is 30% of the population".
    LOL. I suppose if I stuck to that line of work (journalism/creative writing/English Lit) I would have retained all that I had learned, but I've done so many other things since then it has all faded into the back of my mind. I doubled majored in chemistry and English, and I remember writing these really flowery organic chemistry lab reports because my class right before ochem was a writing class. There would be a thesis statement, and each paragraph had a topic sentence. LOL. My teacher took me aside and said, 'I really like your reports, they are well-written, but you don't have to be so descriptive. Just write what your results were, okay?'

Now I even find myself forgetting how to spell certain words. Because of my stroke history, I sometimes worry if it's common to forget stuff like that or if I have brain damage. I'm always harrassing my husband and he assures me it's typical to question the spelling of words you've spelled correctly before. I don't know if he's humoring me or what...

I still am a stickler for certain language things. My husband will pluralize things incorrectly sometimes (my clothes is in the dryer, how many pepperonis do you want, etc). Drives me crazy. He says it's his rural hometown coming back to haunt him.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3203425;
    Spelling/grammar errors in the paper bothers me as well. But they seem to be more common now.
    Of course they're more common now: inferior publications are no longer using professional proofreaders; they rely on grammar check and spell check, and perhaps run the copy past an office flunkie who was runner-up in the second-grade spelling bee, but only has a marginal command of standard written English and has never touched a CMS nor AP Stylebook. But hey, who's gonna notice?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Certainly not us

+ Reply to Thread