+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 238 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I would freak or freeze if I saw people wandering around carrying rifles like those! I've only held a gun once, and it was a Paintball gun. And I didnt' feel comfortable with it or shooting people wearing helmets for Pete's sake. I've seen rifles being carried around by the Mexican police and at the airport in Spain, but other than security officers, like RCMP or police, it just does not happen like that in Canada.

I do imagine our hunters do carrying rifles, . But thank goodness Mr. Cheney doesn't hunt up here!
    I grew up in a small farming community where cattle ranching and orange growing were the two main money makers. Most of the boys I knew in high school (I graduated in 1980) hunted or worked on the ranches or groves and therefore they all drove pickup trucks with gun racks in the back windows and guns in them. No one thought anything about these trucks with guns being parked in teh parking lot at school.
    And the boys that worked in the groves carried these wicked pocket knives that they used on the fruit trees. AGain, not a thought in the world. It was just natural, a part of growing up in a small rural community.
    But times change and events change and parents don't teach their kids to respect the power of weapons. My husband said the worst beating he ever got was when he pointed his BB gun at a friend. His father told him to NEVER EVER point any kind of weapon at anyone. But all the boys I knew that hunted were taught the proper use and care of their weapons.
    Not anyone it seems. Now I hate guns, but back then, I had grown up with this and it seemed natural not sinister like it is today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

Now that we're talking fashion don'ts: how about the extremely low-cut jeans/thong combo? I remember secretly mocking a couple of classmates back in high school for sporting that particularly lovely fashion faux pas, and it's been going strong ever since. Ugh.

This, i find extremely tacky. Especially when done on purpose. The height of a fashion don't.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    This, i find extremely tacky. Especially when done on purpose. The height of a fashion don't.
    Yeah, I don't get people that do it on purpose. I accidently flashed a bright-colored thong in a bar full of people when I was in college and I remember being mortified and wanting to crawl under a rock. Now I guess everyone knows what kind of underwear everyone else is wearing.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Here's a fad I'm getting a little sick of: Designer pets.

You mix a pug with a beagle - they call it a puggle and charge 1500 with no proven lineage.

what it really is - mutt, 50$ at the local shelter with shots.

Mix poodles with labs - labradoodle, 1500$. You can find the EXACT same thing at most shelters.

You mix two breeds, it's a mutt - and there are plenty of those at the shelter that occur naturally. Why this has become so trendy now is beyond me, and these fad dogs do no good to the animals as they all end up at the shelter when the next new fad dog comes along too. well, not all - but most.

And the worst thing that can happen when using the thong/low-cut combo (which I don't ) is when the note with the washing instructions is showing. That's just horrible and the people are not usually aware of it so I fell embarrassed for them. It's not like you can walk up to them and tell them.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball View Post
    Here's a fad I'm getting a little sick of: Designer pets.

You mix a pug with a beagle - they call it a puggle and charge 1500 with no proven lineage.

what it really is - mutt, 50$ at the local shelter with shots.

Mix poodles with labs - labradoodle, 1500$. You can find the EXACT same thing at most shelters.

You mix two breeds, it's a mutt - and there are plenty of those at the shelter that occur naturally. Why this has become so trendy now is beyond me, and these fad dogs do no good to the animals as they all end up at the shelter when the next new fad dog comes along too. well, not all - but most.
    Yep, I agree. One of the best dogs we ever had was a mutt, but today she would be called a Schnoodle as she was a schnauzer/standard poodle mix.

She was an orphan we adopted, so therefore her name was Annie. She's been gone 7 years, but I still miss that dog. She was a GREAT, GREAT companion and our first baby. We found her the year we got married and she was all ours and we loved her. And she was so grateful too. I think that shelter pets or abandoned pets do know gratefulness and show it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I wish some women would be careful not to wear jeans that are way tight as they seem to end up creating what is referred to as "Camel toe", some of you ladies can back me up on this.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Nobody looks good in spandex. It should be illegal to wear spandex.

I wouldn't say NOBODY. There once was this one guy..........
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I didn't read all the way upthread, but did anyone mention the fake-"wear" stripes on jeans? Gawd, those bleached out pant legs look so stupid.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I wish the current "fad" among teenagers to be "scene kids" (if you've ever been near MySpace, you know what I mean) should just die now. Every one of those kids looks the same. The guys and the girls have the same haircuts, they're all SO skinny, and they all wear the exact same clothing. Yeah, THAT'S unique.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

+ Reply to Thread