+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3166739;
    I think maxi dresses are long dresses - not formal, but pretty much that length. like mini is the short ones.

I had a maxi dress in HS (early 70s). . .
    Me too. I can't believe they're back. (Eh, yeah I can . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3166750;
    I'm short and heavy as well Rattus and I like long pants. I know they make me look shorter but I can't help it. I love to have my pants on top of my feet!
    Part of my fondness for the long frocks actually comes from paying attention to the way all the other heavyset women dress. To my eye, a shorter more fitted skirt tends to make women built like me look blocky and kind of butch (add a pair of heels, and ). The longer flowy type skirts make them look more feminine (my preferred style). My sister told me once that she heard this issue being discussed on the radio and the "expert" said that tailored clothing was best for the heavier woman. I looked at every tailored business woman I encountered for the next couple of months and all I saw were sausages. I'm not trying to be insulting to them, but to me it just looks quite as uncomfortable as it feels to me, and it makes them look heavier. And personally, I receive many more compliments when I'm dressed in what I like best - long, flowy skirts and loose blouses (always with the v-neck to elongate the neck).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I love Maxi dresses.

I am very tall, so I always feel like minis are just WAYYYY to much skin going on.
    On the rare occasion I wear a mini, I get comments about
    wearing the "shortest skirt ever to exisit" *ha yeah right*
    Of course, 99% of the Maxi dresses are above my ankle. So I can't win.

Why do you all not like them? is it because they look like hippy clothes?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i think maxis are so much nicer to look at than minis.

Short shorts and high heels! A woman clearly older than me was wearing this at the grocery store! Really!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3166746;
    Sorry, I'm short and fat and I looooove long dresses and skirts. I have always loved them and presumably always will. I get very upset when I make a skirt or dress and it turns out to be above ankle length. But everyone else feel free to think I look dreadful .
    I actually didn't mean "difficult" in that it would look bad on a shorter person. I would think that they make these dresses so long that a shorter person might put one on and have it dragging across the floor. That seems hazardous!!!

I don't think the OP stated their actual objection to them. I personally don't have a problem with them. They look comfortable and many of the ones I saw when I Googled them were pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3166921;
    I actually didn't mean "difficult" in that it would look bad on a shorter person. I would think that they make these dresses so long that a shorter person might put one on and have it dragging across the floor. That seems hazardous!!!
    Actually, I wasn't responding specifically to your post, but to generally stated opinions that long skirts don't look good on short people. I don't think that it's necessarily true that any one particular look looks good on any one particular body type. There are so many variations within each person's appearance that go far beyond body type that I don't believe there should be a standard. My own personal appearance does not remotely suit conservative clothing (which is excellent for me as I don't care for conservative...well, much of anything, really), and I know people that would look ridiculous in the styles I favour. I have received compliments from people who do favour conservative and wouldn't be caught dead in anything from my closet, so I know that my personal style does work for me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3166921;
    the dress i wore for my son's wedding was supposed to be a mid-calf length, but i'm so short, it was floor length on me.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3166498;
    i work with someone like that. she's so sugary sweet when talking TO someone, but then when they're not in the room, she spews a lot of venom. makes me wonder what she says about ME when i'm not around?
    Oh I know the feeling! It's like if they're like that to people they 'like' then what would they say about people they don't like?! It's very negative and I don't know why it bothers me, but it really does. Especially when you think you're friends with someone only to find out that they behave in such an appaling manner.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3166501;
    Unfortunately people like that are not a fad. They've been around forever and will continue to do so. It always amazes me how they have any friends, because I always wonder like you do Barefoot, what they say about me when I'm not around.
    I don't get how they have friends either MRD. It's almost like people become afraid to say anything else or to go against them, but I don't understand why?!
    I suppose people prefer to stay away from confrontations of any type.

MRD

I have a black maxi dress that looks FABULOUS on me. I was a little surprised at how long it was. (I got it on ebay), but once I got used to the length, it has been my favorite dress. It's got a flowy, b ut too flowy skirt and the long, black, makes me look long and thinner than I am.
    And besides, when I wear it, I dont' have to shave my legs!!!!!
    It goes to my ankles.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread