+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

OK, so I take back what I said about the Polka. I can see it has it's devotees too. Hell, I'd probably even do it if somebody asked me to dance. I'll try any dance at least once.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3165338;
    OK, so I take back what I said about the Polka. I can see it has it's devotees too. Hell, I'd probably even do it if somebody asked me to dance. I'll try any dance at least once.
    I am learning to do the Carolina shag. It's like a slower version of the jitterbug and is the state dance here. It's done to "beach music" and is HUGELY popular here. There are shagging contests, shag nights at bars, etc.
    Thank goodness I already knew what it was before we moved here, as the Austin Powers movies use that word with another meaning.
    I bet if you searched youtube you could find a video of someone doing the Carolina Shag

But its a lot of fun to do. I love to dance. My husband doesn't dance, so I have to find other people to dance with.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD: Have you seen the movie "Shag" with Pheobe Cates, Bridget Fonda and Annabeth Gish? I bet it would go great with your newfound passion, its a fun movie about Carolina beaches.

Fads that need to go: remaking movies and songs that were just fine the way they were. Piggybacking on that - things like the previous statement that I remember my mother saying as I rolled my eyes!!
    Wag more, bark less

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3165634;
    MRD: Have you seen the movie "Shag" with Pheobe Cates, Bridget Fonda and Annabeth Gish? I bet it would go great with your newfound passion, its a fun movie about Carolina beaches.

Fads that need to go: remaking movies and songs that were just fine the way they were. Piggybacking on that - things like the previous statement that I remember my mother saying as I rolled my eyes!!
    I second that. I just heard where they are going to remake The Rocky Horror Picture Show. No word on casting, but I don't think you can improve on the original.

I have never heard of "Shag", but you can bet I will search it out. Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I lived in Cleveland when I got married. Every wedding must have at least 1 polka and every wedding band must have 1 member that can play an accordion for said polka. It's state law, I swear to God man. Look it up. Donny Baker knows it's true.

But, Unk, I think that's only in the Cleveland area. I remember going to my Great Aunt & Uncle's 50th celebration, and I polka'd all night long!

At least you guys have bands. Here many people just have a DJ who plays music from a computer and it's always the same songs every wedding. I'm so glad none of my friends are thinking of getting married anytime soon.
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i was 18 when i learned to polka. i was a cocktail waitress at the local eagles club and i learned quickly that if i danced with the old guys when they had live bands on saturday nights, i'd get bigger tips. *cha-ching!*

Over the top fake people! By that I mean people who just act SOOOO phoney that you wonder if you'll ever know who they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3165297;
    While not Polish, I gew up in a Polish neighborhood and went to the neighborhood Polish church and school. Our next door neighbors were an elderly couple who followed around a band called Happy Louie and his Polka Band. They would go wherever this band was playing kind of like Polka Deadheads.....Polkaheads??
    PolkaDOTS?

We had an elderly couple who lived next door to us when I was a kid. She played the accordian and they would have these hilarious parties where she was jamming on her accordian and her husband was dancing (polka, chicken dance, waltz - you name it). Everyone (even my non-dancing Dad) got caught up in it.

MRD - you have GOT to see Shag. I know you will love it. It's one of my favorite movies.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread