+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 238 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

I am with you both Gabriel and ArchieComicFan. Let me add the Fox News (I think it is Fox, I never hang around long) programs that are devoted to the "developing story, missing teacher day 2375". It is nothing but a recap of how the police have nothing. (insert rolleyes smiley here)

Here's another stupid workout....like we need more .....and to learn how to walk. I think the cardio-striptease was a cute idea. Good exercise anyway. But walking in high heels. Pleeeeeease.

The Stiletto Workout: Silly or Sensible?
    By CLAUDIA PARSONS, REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The gym that brought New Yorkers "Cardio Striptease" has dreamed up "Stiletto Strength," a workout to get women in shape to wear the highest of heels.

The Stiletto Workout is meant to help women strengthen their legs so they can gracefully wear high heels.

At a recent lunch-time session at Crunch gym near Times Square, dancer Amber Efe demonstrated how to strut like a cat-walk model, pivoting on six-inch heels that would challenge even the most ardent follower of shoe king Manolo Blahnik.

"Imagine you're at the bar, raise one hand high like you're holding your drink," she told the class, music pounding as she acted the part of a club-goer working through a crowd.

"Don't spill the drink," she told the group, a mix of women who clearly had plenty of experience and others still tottering on shoes that didn't show much wear.

Crunch's class list includes "Circus Sports" and "Cycle Karaoke" and national fitness director Donna Cyrus said the most popular nontraditional class in recent years was "Cardio Striptease," aerobics with a sexy twist.

"Stiletto Strength" was launched in January in response to client griping about getting back into high heels for winter.

"They're businesswomen and they have to wear heels so they want to understand how to look better in them and feel confident," Cyrus said.

Participants wear running shoes for the first part of the class, which focuses on strengthening lower body and abdominal muscles and improving balance and posture. The heels come out for the last 15 minutes.

"I came at the beginning just because I was curious," said Andrea Kussack, 27, who isn't required to dress up for her job but needs practice wearing "going-out" shoes.

"I recently bought for my boyfriend's Christmas party these really high heels. I made it through the night but it wasn't the most enjoyable thing and I haven't worn them since," she said.

So what is the secret to walking tall?

"Your abs and don't look down. Look where you're going," said instructor Kafi Pierre. "And your ankle strength, if you have weak ankles you'll tend to roll inward or outwards."

Cyrus called in a podiatrist to assess the class, which has been launched in New York, Los Angeles and Miami. "He said 'You know, the answer is women shouldn't wear heels,"' Cyrus said.

But she said women will wear them anyway.

"Your feet will probably never recover because it's not a position you're meant to be in all day long," she said. "This class will strengthen your legs and your core, it will make it less painful, but it will never be pain free."

02-13-06 13:50 EST
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Animae

My daughter is an Animae junkie and if I hear, see or have to watch anything remotely related to animae, I am going to hurl! I know others like it, but its gotten over the top at my house and I am over it.
    Of course, my mom was probably over my obsession with Elton John and Kiss back in the 70's and thought that grown men wearing makeup was just too darn weird!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    "This class will strengthen your legs and your core, it will make it less painful, but it will never be pain free."

02-13-06 13:50 EST
    That's interesting. I've actually never found heels to be painful. I used to wear them every day and never had any issues with it hurting or anything. If it was "painful", there's no way I'd wear them.

Here's a trend I'd like to see go away. I was shopping for a skirt the other day (for the annual, guilt-induced, going-to-church-with-Mom-on-Easter) and all the stores had were these "tiered" skirts. They fit tight on the top tier and then billow out. Well, if you have any hips at all, you looked like a stuffed sausage floating on a cloud of meringue. Who do these look flattering on? Certainly not on me. :nono
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Who ever said that Ugg boots and a denim micro-mini was a good fashion choice? It only makes you look like an idiot who doesn't own pants, especially when it's 40 degress out. Ugg boots need to go away. Now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Here's a trend I'd like to see go away. I was shopping for a skirt the other day (for the annual, guilt-induced, going-to-church-with-Mom-on-Easter) and all the stores had were these "tiered" skirts. They fit tight on the top tier and then billow out. Well, if you have any hips at all, you looked like a stuffed sausage floating on a cloud of meringue. Who do these look flattering on? Certainly not on me. :nono
    THANK YOU! I, for one, am sick and tired of all the humongous skirts out there. Just the other week, I was on the prowl for a good old black miniskirt with a snug fit - think racy secretary - but all I could find were the skirts you're talking about. I couldn't even find a normal black knee-length skirt with a classic fit; it was all "tiered" or floaty skirts in every colour of the rainbow. And to answer your question: They don't look flattering on ANYONE. Even supermodels look ever so slightly chunky in the "stuffed sausage/meringue" look. I'm fairly happy with my shape and size, but skirts like that make me - and any woman who doesn't look like Mary-Kate Olsen (thank God most of us don't) - look like an obese mermaid. I'm so over the boho chic look in general, actually. Give me clothes that actually flatters your shape instead of hiding or distorting it.

Critical: I thought no one was wearing Uggs anymore? Guess I was wrong.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I would dearly like to see an end to whatever the clothing trend du jour is taking over the stores (Uggs, peasant wear, overly festooned purses, whatever), and give people options. The last time I went clothes shopping in a regular mall was about 25 years ago when the trend was ruffled blouses. Now, I don't mind a ruffled blouse per se, and in fact currently own two poet blouses (don't care how fat they make me look - they make me feel like a girl), but I was looking for some reasonably plain shirt-like blouses to wear to the office (my off hours were spent in vintage). In the entire Eaton Centre there was not one blouse to be found that didn't have a ruffle or some lace on it. That is when I learned to make my own clothes.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Who ever said that Ugg boots and a denim micro-mini was a good fashion choice? It only makes you look like an idiot who doesn't own pants, especially when it's 40 degress out. Ugg boots need to go away. Now.

I'm with you on this, Critical and geek!!! Uggs are wicked ugly and they suck.

There's a young, little, blonde bimbo who rides my train each morning and she wears a pair of Uggs every single day. She has them in several colors (red, purple, tan, black) but no matter what color they are, they're just as uggly as Hell.

To me someone wearing Uggs is someone who's unable to think for herself -- she somehow heard that they're trendy and cool, so that's all she wears. She doesn't stop to think of whether they're appropriate for the weather, or if they match the rest of what she's wearing.

Instead she just wears them 'cause she read in Seventeen Magazine or Teen People (or heck, maybe she read it in Ranger Rick) that Uggs are "cool," but in fact they're just not cool at all.

MRD
    The phrase "My bad"

Consider it the old fogey in me, but please say: I'm sorry.

"My bad" just sounds bad, uneducated and ignorant.
    Especially when some of my ADULT friends use it.

I usually don't care one way or the other about slang and use it myself.

But this one just peeves teh heck out of me!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    The phrase "My bad"

Consider it the old fogey in me, but please say: I'm sorry.

"My bad" just sounds bad, uneducated and ignorant.
    Especially when some of my ADULT friends use it.

I usually don't care one way or the other about slang and use it myself.

But this one just peeves teh heck out of me!
    Oh, I truly hate this term. It just rings of "yeah, I screwed up but I really don't care" to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread