+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2923363;
    Weren't they popular in the '50's or thereabouts? Every time I see one I expect to see the woman to also be wearing a pillbox hat with a veil and gloves.
    The ones they had then were not so poorly fitted or cheap looking...or ugly, at least to me!
    The old kind...

New monstrosities...

Even butt-uglier!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Well fortunately for me, Walmart still sells bootcut jeans and they DON'T have those ugly jackets. Yet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2926200;
    Well fortunately for me, Walmart still sells bootcut jeans and they DON'T have those ugly jackets. Yet.
    Thank God for good taste

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2922977;
    Oh god, those cropped jackets. I have no idea HOW to wear them, as they're shorter than any shirt. And no, they don't flatter anyone. But just try finding a regular fitted jacket in stores now, it's nearly impossible, everything is those wide things.

You can always have a fitted jacket made...and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg! I don't think we consider, enough, having clothes made these days and not looking like everybody else walking down the street because we just bought what was out there on the rack.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2926375;
    Thank God for good taste
    Who knew that Walmart would be the arbiter of good fashion?

shay, I used to have a lot of my clothes made as I lived somewhere where you just couldn't buy clothes (and this was before Walmart came to town).
    What I've done recently was buy some things that I've had altered or tailored to fit me better. I had a very nice wool blazer that had belonged to my mom, I had it taken in some and tailored a bit and I wore that a good bit this past winter. And the good news is that it only cost me about $15 for the tailoring.
    I also found a great wool skirt at Goodwill back in the fall and I also had that taken in and hemmed. That one was slightly less. I think about $10. Considering I paid only $6 for it, I got a very nice addition to my wardrobe in a classic style that shouldn't go out of fashion for about $16.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I noticed that type of jacket on Bob from Biggest Loser at the live finale. Disgusting! Even mr buglover who has zero fashion sense commented on how horribly the jacket seemed to fit. This is a fad that needs to die right now!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I was in Superstore yesterday and saw their new line of Joe Fresh. Cute stuff, if you are 15 years old!! Boxy tops, 60's style colors and patterns, and body hugging flared polyester pants and dresses! They would only look good on someone tall, skinny and young. And I'm not tall.

Joe Fresh Style Frais
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2926746;
    Who knew that Walmart would be the arbiter of good fashion?

shay, I used to have a lot of my clothes made as I lived somewhere where you just couldn't buy clothes (and this was before Walmart came to town).
    What I've done recently was buy some things that I've had altered or tailored to fit me better. I had a very nice wool blazer that had belonged to my mom, I had it taken in some and tailored a bit and I wore that a good bit this past winter. And the good news is that it only cost me about $15 for the tailoring.
    I also found a great wool skirt at Goodwill back in the fall and I also had that taken in and hemmed. That one was slightly less. I think about $10. Considering I paid only $6 for it, I got a very nice addition to my wardrobe in a classic style that shouldn't go out of fashion for about $16.
    I don't think you can beat finding clothes in places like Goodwill, made out of really good fabric, and having them reconstructed to your specs! It just takes a little imagination. You will not see yourself walking down the street, that's for sure!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2926928;
    I don't think you can beat finding clothes in places like Goodwill, made out of really good fabric, and having them reconstructed to your specs! It just takes a little imagination. You will not see yourself walking down the street, that's for sure!
    I looooooved Goodwill when I was much, much thinner. I got some amazing clothes, mainly in retro styles. I very much miss my collection of '50s silk sheathes, and I most particularly miss my Dior-type New Style black dress - the sort of thing you used to see Lucy Ricardo wearing for a night out at The Tropicana.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'm always afraid to get things tailored. It costs so much and I've had some bad experiences where the clothes just never sat right after. Plus it's not cheap. I don't like shelling out that money for something that I won't be happy with.

+ Reply to Thread