+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Regarding the cellphone fad, I don't get the intolerance towards it. How is it any difference hearing a cellphone convo than a regular convo between 2 people? Is it just annoying because you don't get to hear the other person's response? I say as long as the person on the phone is not invading my space with her loudness, she can do as she pleases. I expect the same from 2 people talking face to face.

As for the crocs, I went on their site this morning out of curiosity. I might be sold on their MaryJanes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've found that, for some reason, people on cellphones usually talk very loudly....probably thinking that they have to overcome background noises for the other person to hear them? That's why I cup my hand over my mouth and mouthpiece...to direct my voice directly into the phone, and if that doesn't seem to be working, I leave the area. Just went through that in a theater lobby a few days ago.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2463988;
    Regarding the cellphone fad, I don't get the intolerance towards it. How is it any difference hearing a cellphone convo than a regular convo between 2 people? Is it just annoying because you don't get to hear the other person's response? I say as long as the person on the phone is not invading my space with her loudness, she can do as she pleases. I expect the same from 2 people talking face to face.
    The thing I hate most about cellphones, other than the loud conversations, is that they seem to make people oblivious to whats going on around them, pulling their cars out in front of you or nearly over you as they yammer, standing in front of a grocery store display blocking everyone else as they hold an in depth conversation about which bread hubby would prefer today, slamming doors in your face, etc. All because they are so absorbed into phone-world.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

As for the crocs, I went on their site this morning out of curiosity. I might be sold on their MaryJanes.

I'm considering a pair of those as well.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2463943;
    Did you try at half.com like I told you about before? Even if they don't have them in stock now, you can put them on your wishlist and if they do happen to get them, they will email you. LOVE that site. Love, love, love it.

Livin4reality, I didn't know they were books first. Off to the library website.

I really wish the public cellphone conversation fad would end. I am sick and tired of listening to peoples private lives in the doctor's office, restaurant, store and other areas. Last night, we went out to eat for the first time in AGES. I have been cooped up recovering from surgery and the family felt I needed to get out. Almost the entire time, this woman at the next table carried on a conversation that frankly I would have been embarrassed to have had in public, but she literally ruined my meal and evening out. And we were in an Indian restaurant, and the waitstaff obviously didn't understand a lot of English, so when I complained hoping they would say something to her, that didn't help. I should have said something myself, but didn't want a confrontation, but she was very loud and the conversation was very inappropriate for that or any setting.
    I have now heard the intimate details of an older man's urological problems in a doctor's office and now a woman's apparantly abusive relationship with a man in the restaurant last night. Ugh, its just sickening.

I'm afraid this isn't a fad, but a fact of life now.
    I found a VHS of Toys in the Attic, but I'm trying to find DVD, as to the other two - Jerry Lewis holds the rights to Three Ring Circus and has not released it, Mr. Ricco from what I've read was never released to the public because the movie was a flop, so they say, I saw it and liked it.

As to the cellphones, that woman was rude period. If I need to take a call in a restaurant or some other place, I kind of distance myself from the crowd and go outside or somewhere.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2464047;
    The thing I hate most about cellphones, other than the loud conversations, is that they seem to make people oblivious to whats going on around them, pulling their cars out in front of you or nearly over you as they yammer, standing in front of a grocery store display blocking everyone else as they hold an in depth conversation about which bread hubby would prefer today, slamming doors in your face, etc. All because they are so absorbed into phone-world.
    In this case, if it causes distraction, I would agree that it is annoying. Also, it's dangerous (and soon illegal in Canada) when the person is driving.

My question was more directed towards MyRosie's example, which was also mentionned by other posters at previous times: if it's merely a pet peeve because the person had a long and loud conversation about her private life, does it matter whether it's over the phone or in the flesh?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2463993;
    I've found that, for some reason, people on cellphones usually talk very loudly....probably thinking that they have to overcome background noises for the other person to hear them?
    I've noticed my husband is guilty of that. I kept on telling him to keep it down when he was on the phone until I realized 2 things: a) his work cell phone is crap. Not only do you have to talk loud, you hear the other person very loudly. Unfortunately, it's company-bought, so unless it breaks into piece, he won't get a new one. b) As a civil engineer, he often works on site, surrounded by traffic, big trucks and construction. Has he lost some hearing? Did he just get used to talking loudly to overcome the background noise? I don't know. In any case, both those situation have made him a louder talker on his work cell phone and it's become an issue when he talks on his private cell phone.
    Last edited by DesertRose; 07-07-2007 at 02:27 PM.

I just checked out crocs, and they have a cute little ballerina slipper.

the best of the worst - it looks very cute and pretty.

cant decided between the colors - lots more colors there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just seems like that, in the flesh, people don't speak as loudly, IMO.

My "dogs" hurt just looking at those shoes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2464060;
    Also, it's dangerous (and soon illegal in Canada) when the person is driving.
    I wish they'd outlaw using a cellphone while driving in the States. I don't have a problem with talking on a headset while driving, but otherwise it's just too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2464066;
    Just seems like that, in the flesh, people don't speak as loudly, IMO.
    I agree wholeheartedly! I know I'm guilty of it, and it seems everyone else I hear is also guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2464066;
    My "dogs" hurt just looking at those shoes.
    My feet are sweating at the thought.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD

What's annoying is the loudness that people talk on their cell phones. Both the man with the urological problems and the woman in the restaurant talked quite loudly on their cell phones and when they did hang up and talk with their other companions, you didn't hear them, so they went from being annoying to just being background in the places I was in. If you need to shout to be heard, then you need to get up and go outside to use the phone and not disturb the other patients or patrons. So it is the loudness that annoys me and the subject matter. Do I need to hear every little detail about an older man's urological problems in overly graphic detail screamed at me from across a waiting room? I probably know more about this man's penis than his doctor now.

I think cellphones are great. They do come in very handy for a lot of people. But a lot of people do not use them with good manners. When I go out to eat which is not very often and we go to a fairly nice restaurant (nice enough to have linen napkins and tablecloths) then I expect a certain experience and ambiance and some nutjob yelling "I am not abandoning you" into her cellphone repeatedly is not what I am paying for.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread