+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2454951;
    talldede, it's hard for me because my oldest is very curvy already. She isn't really aware sometimes how the clothes she chooses look on her. She isn't allowed to wear makeup yet, but she's a mature looking 12 year old, and when she decks herself out in tight jeans and lower cut tops, I cringe inside.
    Man, these are tough issues are they? There is no clear cut answer or solution. Of course, we know our girls the best, and as parents make unpopular decisions daily on their behalf. I think sticking to it, not giving in and repeating over and over why we make the choices we do, it will eventually sink in, even though they may 'hate' us for days, they will come around.

About the hypocrite bit......it's fun to be a cool, hip mom, I am too, but my kids know I'm the parent, I'm not the best friend. In the back of my mind, I just try to be consistent and make the best choices and live the example I set for my kids, because if I don't then that is what erodes respect in their eyes.

And, finally Viva Payless! Man, I love that store. Boo Hoo if they are going more upscale, say it aint so.....?!?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;2454984;

And, finally Viva Payless! Man, I love that store. Boo Hoo if they are going more upscale, say it aint so.....?!?
    I am soooo bummed. As long as there was payless, I could afford to be a shoe diva. I got my Easter shoes there for $10. Yeah, they only match one dress, but for $10 I can afford for them to only go with one thing.

I'm not a handbag person. I would prefer NOT to carry one, but as long as I have too, I tend to buy those at Target. My daughter is the handbag diva and she makes a lot of hers. Think she'd make mom one? NOOOOOO.

I know a lot of people that swear by the Coach, Doone and Burke and Kate Spade bags, but that is one fad I am just not into. I think it has something to do with the bag costing more than the money that it carries.

Besides, I like Targets funky seasonal purses. But it would be nice to have one nice, semi-formal bag for serious occasions as the couple of flamingo bags and other funky bags are not appropriate for funerals and such. I need a simple, black bag I think.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2455075;
    But it would be nice to have one nice, semi-formal bag for serious occasions as the couple of flamingo bags and other funky bags are not appropriate for funerals and such. I need a simple, black bag I think.
    You know....you could always buy one of those Vera Bradley bags you love so much....

haha i've bought 3 of my last purses at the GoodWill. And one of them was a Louis Vuitton, that had a small stain on it, but laundry detergent got it out. And that purse was only $4.99. I am not rich enough to afford my tastes. So now I shall just imagine.

Also, what is with all these tops that make it fashionable to wear sacks that happened to be tight around the shoulders? You know, the wide swishy shirts with straps.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2455123;
    You know....you could always buy one of those Vera Bradley bags you love so much....
    God, you people are like elephants and never forget anything!

Those VB bags are so busy, they don't go with anything. I could see me taking a hot pink and neon green one to a funeral. That would be appropriately somber. NOT!
    I think if you carry one of those, you should be made to wear clothes using the same material, but then again, my eyes might explode if I saw that!
    (no offense to anyone that likes those bags. I just think they are just busy and here EVERYONE and their dog has one)

I have a friend that manages a Louis Vuitton store in Tampa. He has told my daughter that when she graduates highschool, he will give her a bag. She is salivating still. That's another bag I don't understand. I might carry one if my name were Lucretia Vandermeer and then it would be MY initials, but I have a problem carrying or wearing someone else's name or initials part of trhat goes back to the Back to the Future movie where they call him Calvin because his underwear says Calvin Klein.

OK, so that's a fad, I wish would go away. Wearing clothes with the designer or store name on them. I just think its weird. Unless I were to become a famous designer then I would expect everyone to have Myrosiedog fashions emblazoned on everything! (no chance of that, I can't draw a stick)
    Last edited by MRD; 06-29-2007 at 07:16 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2455659;
    OK, so that's a fad, I wish would go away. Wearing clothes with the designer or store name on them. I just think its weird.
    Totally agree. I don't quite understand why people find it necessary to let everyone know what brand their wearing. I have two identical bags, one black, one brown, they seem to be good quality, they were what I consider to be fairly pricey ($275 each - is that a lot for a purse?), but I don't give a rat's behind who designed or manufactured them and I wouldn't have bought them if they had any obvious and unremovable logo or insignia. Every time I see someone with Chanel or Donna Karan plastered somewhere across their body, I just think of high end taggers, and tagging in all forms is a trend that I wish would crash to a halt.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I am still finding people wearing those 'Crocs' shoes that are crazy colors! I saw a lady wearing teal or blue crocs with a black and white outfit.

I don't care how comfortable those darn things are, they look like clown shoes with holes.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2457545;
    I am still finding people wearing those 'Crocs' shoes that are crazy colors! I saw a lady wearing teal or blue crocs with a black and white outfit.

I don't care how comfortable those darn things are, they look like clown shoes with holes.
    I *hate* those. And they are still quite popular here, I gues 'cause it's summer? I don't get it...to me they don't even look like they'd be comfortable at all, plus they are ugly as sin. And they make everyone's feet look huge, which I have enough problem with thanks to Mother Nature anyway...

I resisted for as long as I could, but then I worked at a school where they were pretty much a godsend. Crocs are absolutely the most comfortable shoes if you have to be on your feet and need to do a lot of lifting/moving. I agree, they don't look fashionable or slimming, but they're great to wear.

Yep, I couldn't care less how ugly they are, they are a lifesaver (or at least a knee saver) to me. I have bursitis in my knees and Crocs are the only things I can walk in for any length of time. I wear them on my commute to work every day, and then when I go for my walk at lunchtime, which means I can go two miles. But the other day I was feeling like looking slightly more dainty so I wore a more attractive but still comfortable cork-soled sandal. But by the end of the day, my knee was swollen to the size of a grapefruit and I had to spend the next day with my leg elevated and a heating pad on my knee. So I will be wearing Crocs until the day I die, regardless of what they look like or anyone's opinions of them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread