+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anyone know about dried flowers?

Does anyone know about dried flowers?

I figure in this crowd there must be someone who knows about drying flowers & flower arrangements and stuff. I know nothing about it, but for my birthday this year I got a beautiful flower arrangement and it has since then dried but it still looks so good, I don't want to throw it away. (It's a set with a porcelain plate & coffee cup painted in colors matching the flowers, it's real pretty...)

I was wondering if there is something I can spray on them or something to make them last or to preserve them really good so they will last for a long time (maybe forever?)

Hopefully someone's into drying flowers

Tig
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

All I know about dried flowers is that every time I went to my inlaw's house there was another bunch of dried flowers decaying in their house. My MIL could not bring herself to throw out flowers that she was given. One time I had a bouquet delivered to her for Mother's Day and when we visited her on July 4th she still had them proudly in the middle of the kitchen table. When we went to the grocery store that evening to pick up some food for our stay, we bought her replacement flowers(to put in the vase at home). She was so torn over weather to throw away the old dried out ones. I told her to do what she wanted with them, but I would not be offended if she tossed them. She actually tossed the flowers....first time ever for this woman and she looked so free and light. We got her flowers every visit after that and though she has passed we still do. My rule about flowers is if they have collected dust then it is time to toss them and get some fresh. I know there are some handsome dried flowers out there, but I am a fresh flower girl. No dusty flowers.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/driedflorspr.html

I have seen this sort of thing in craft stores but haven't tried it personally. you just spray it on your flowers every so often to protect them from moisture, etc.

Good Luck!

Oh cool applesauce, thanks for the link, I'm definitely gonna give that spray a try, looks like what I"m looking for.

I don't normally save flowers I get, I like fresh flowers & not dry ones, but these ones are so pretty & go so well with the porcelain coffee cup & plate and the flowers still look good, even when dry (I dont think most flowers look taht great after drying up )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Your Welcome! I actually have a few really neat dried floral arrangements. I might go get some of this as well! Hope it works.

I haven't ever dried an entire arrangment, but I do dry atleast certain flowers of any that I've been given..normally just the roses, but lately I've been doing dried sunflowers that work really nicely. The only thing I ever do to mine is tie them up at the base of the stem by a rubber band and then hang that upside down over a door knob or thumbtack on the wall. They've always turned out great and before I moved I had a huge basket filled with dried roses (that were up to 10 years old) that was hard for me to part with, but it finally met it's fate with the trash can.

+ Reply to Thread