+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer help needed!!

Computer help needed!!

OK so I'm going to college this fall and I need to find a computer. My question is what kind should I get? laptop or desktop? what software, memory, hard drive space? All that good stuff. I'm pretty clueless so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! If this thread is too boring to take up space please delete it, but if anyone has info please PM me or post it here! Thanks

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Depends on the computer's purpose. Obviously you're going to work on it. but are you going to use it for other things e.g work, graphics design, internet, games, etc? Then I'll be able to help out after I find that out. Also state a budget.
    READ THE ALL NEW AMAZING [STORY]RACE! (CLICK)
    "Good Morning Super Nintendo Chalmers!"-Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons.

Will you always be using it in your room? Will you have a printer and other accessories (scanner, digital camera, etc.) hooked up to it? Will you be just doing homework/e-mail, or will you be playing games too? What kind of games?

I think Laptop would be better, convenience wise. ANd just get a portable discdrive, which are not too costly, where you can really store stuff. NOwadays laptops are more practical in college/universities. Even though there might be all those additional cost, portable disk drive, floppy drive, internet, printer etc. think it out, also think within your proposed budget. but personally laptops are better imo.

at uni i use my laptop to word process, all my research is done on the pc's provided by the university, saves space on my discs etc.....

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    I wouldn't advise Laptops in the sense that it is easier to steal, but then again it can be taken to class for note taking and can be used anywhere.
    It allows you to scab wireless internet access from buildings that can't control how far their network goes.

Desktops tend to be more powerful and useful... but only on one spot. Surely, you're not gonna carry your Desktop to your next class now, are you?
    READ THE ALL NEW AMAZING [STORY]RACE! (CLICK)
    "Good Morning Super Nintendo Chalmers!"-Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons.

Leo
    Premium Member
    One more thing: for the same power and capabilities, the laptop will cost more than the desktop.

some add on, how desktops are faster, a bit more realiable and a tad percentage cheaper then laptops...think about the pros and cons of having laptops. I studied in a school which was completely laptop...so here's some pro's cons of laptop use, and think about it.

PROS
    - Type notes (more organized, neat, faster)
    - More convenient
    - Can work in the comfort of elsewhere besides your room

CONS
    - Computer crash --> data loss
    - Wireless internet connection --> slow (at times)
    - Wireless internet connection --> a major distraction
    - You rely too much on your laptop -- overuse -- increase likelyhood of crashing

my opinion

Laptops are great for convenience. I have one that I take to my client's homes so that I can add all their info immediately.
    I do like my desktop pc better, however. I just don't like the little mouse thingy in the middle of the laptop- it's kind of difficult for me to manipulate. And the screen resolution seems better on the desktop pc - maybe because the laptop is old and my pc is new.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    One more thing: for the same power and capabilities, the laptop will cost more than the desktop.

It is also harder to "add-on" to laptops, like hardware upgrades, etc.

You should check out Dell - they have decent computers at pretty low costs (once you factor in rebate).
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast