+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer help needed!!

I think when going to college, laptops are the thing to have. Now that a lot of colleges have that thing where you don't need any cables to hook up to the internet, I think a laptop is the way to go. I have seen laptops which include a voice recording, and a screen which you can write notes on which a stylus. After taking the written notes, it is able to be tranferred into text.

Something you might want to consider: A lot of colleges have specific requirement specifications for the computers you will be using. Check with your college of choice before you make any decisions.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

This is an example of what the University of Denver requires the student's computers to have:

Laptop Specifications
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! I really appreciate it!
    My college really doesnt require anything about students computers and dont encourage us either way on purchasing one. That is kind of why I am so clueless on what to get. My main concern with a desktop is leaving it in my dorm over the weekend where my room mate or others could use it (which I want to avoid)-- I could take a laptop home. However add ons concern me a bit and I want to be sure my dig. camera will work with whatever system I get. I know I want a Pentium 4 with a large hard drive. Much beyond that I'm still pretty undecided. Thanks again for all the advice!! If you think of anything else let me know! Thanks

If we're talking brands I love my Dell. I've had a Packard Bell and a Compaq and the Dell has far out performed them both. Of course they don't make Packard Bell any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    This is an example of what the University of Denver requires the student's computers to have:

Laptop Specifications

Why would they say Windows XP Home Edition "not allowed"? I don't understand!

Dorthy31,

I used to swear by a desktop, until I learned how to curl up in a comfy chair with a laptop, or sit on a kitchen stool (like right now) balancing the laptop on one knee. I can't see myself ever, ever going back to desktop. Ever!

If I were going to college today--which I'm not because I'm a geezer of Vassar '87--I would definitely take a laptop. I can't imagine how much different my college days would have been. What if you need to do some research for a group project at the library? Take your computer, look up what you need, type it in, take your computer to your project-mate's dorm room, finish the paper together, voila. The beauty of the laptop.

I'm strictly a Windows person myself, but if you don't mind MACs, the iBook has some features which are great for mobility. My 10 yr old son who has a writing disability carries a laptop to elementary school. When shopping for him, I found that in PC's, the smaller the computer, the more expensive. In the iBook, the 12" screen is the cheapest, not the most expensive. Also, the 12" iBook still comes with a CD/DVD. Most of the smaller PC laptops seem to eliminate the CD/DVD for size purposes. So, they are small and thin, but cost more money and no CD/DVD. His little iBook also has a fantastic battery. I still can't get used to that funky OS--you'll never get me to buy a MAC--but he doesn't mind it.

When I was in college I got a desktop and monitor. It worked fine, except that when I moved in and out of dorms it was a pain to carry- 40 lbs. each! This was way back in the mid-90s (did I just say way back? )

I'd advise getting a laptop. You could do your homework in bed! Good luck in whatever you choose to get.
    (I'd get an iBook )

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    Why would they say Windows XP Home Edition "not allowed"? I don't understand!

Windows XP Home is not designed for highly sophisticated networks and does not contain enhanced networking, security, and troubleshooting features like Windows XP Professional. It creates a serious security threat to the institution's network and your computer. If the laptop has Windows XP Home, you have to upgrade with Windows XP Professional.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Windows XP Home Edition is a piece of crap. I hate it with a passion.

Dorothy, if you do decide you want a desktop, don't shy away from it because you don't want your roommates using it. I am pretty sure that most operating systems allow you to create a logon password for each user, so you could prevent them from using it while you are away.

One note about laptops: when I was a student, I forgot my laptop in the car overnight one night. The battery was never the same after that - it wouldn't hold a charge for more than ten minutes. Apparently, rechargeable batteries are very sensititve to heat and cold (the same goes for cell phone batteries). Also, while part of the allure of a laptop is that you can take it anywhere, it is also easier to steal or lose. Just my two cents.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast