+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OK, now a thread on cheapness

OK, now a thread on cheapness

I read that once billionaire Warren Buffett only had quarters when he went to make a 10-cent toll call. Instead of just paying the 25 cents, he went to get change.
    My co-worker would buy his afternoon candy bar at a store two blocks away because it was a nickel cheaper than the candy we had in the building.
    That same guy would bring exactly two beers to BYOB parties.
    So what random acts of cheapness have the folks at FORT witnessed?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Before he passed away, my husband's great uncle (who was very wealthy) did really strange, cheap things. He used to take paper towels and tear them into four pieces and use one piece at a time so he didn't "waste any". He would never pay for long distance when he could call collect and wouldn't allow the air conditioner to be turned on even if it was 100 degrees outside. He was very quirky about anything to do with money.
    Now, perhaps this behavior contributed to his wealth, I don't know. As for me, I'd rather be broke and be able to use a whole paper towel.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Being in the restaurant business, where do I start?
    Sharing one drink for a party of 4
    Eating all the food but 1 bite and complaining to get it for free
    Getting a glass of water and asking for a ton of lemons to make lemonade
    Pulling a hair out of your own head and putting in the food to get it for free
    Asking for extra stuff and expecting it for free. Prime example is sausage gravy in my restaurant. You want extra? It's $1.50 per cup pal. No I can't just put "a lttle" more on there no more than McDonalds can just throw on an extra patty on your 1/4 pounder.
    I could go on for days.

My sister's husband's grandmother insisted that her daughter pay her for the electricity she used when ironing some clothes at the grandmother's house.

Ah, I could go on for days and days about my cheapness. One cheap thing I do is that I go out of my way to go to the drink shop behind the library instead of the one in front of it (the bus stop I use is in front of the library) because the former has a student discount...and not to mention, NO TAX!!!!! The library's on its own block, by the way.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Getting a glass of water and asking for a ton of lemons to make lemonade
    I've done this. But only at the local salad place (you know, big buffet line of all salad stuff). They want $2.50 for a soda, and plus, I can't drink sugar so it's a way to get sugar-free lemonade.

I'd never order it this way in a restaurant, though, Unk. People actually put their own hair in their food?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I shop for meat in the discount bin. Usually it is due to expire the next day and you can get a good deal. If it looks gross I pass, but for the most part it is perfectly ok. Plus, I shop sales mostly. I just got back from a 10 for $10 sale at the grocery store...stocked up good.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

My husband is "parsimonious". That is his own description of himself. He is stingy and he knows it. For example: he never walks out of any place without refilling his drink first, and he is upset that I am quite satisfied with one cup. Waste of money he says. His favorite fast food is Taco Bell Bean Burritos. 79 cents a piece, can't beat that... Everyone knows that he always goes out of his way to get the cheapest option possible, and people joke about it. If I really want to surprise him positively I go to a discount store and find him a t-shirt for a dollar. Makes him so happy .
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I've torn paper towels in half
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    People actually put their own hair in their food?
    This is quite common. I've had long blonde hair in a blonde womans plate when I've had no blondes working in the restaurant. Her reply? "Well it must flown off somebody's head onto my plate as it was being brought out." Get real lady, you're the only blonde in the entire restaurant!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast