+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OK, now a thread on cheapness

My mother is one of those people who save everything, but she's reached the point of diminishing returns. On several occasions she's had to go out and buy something that she already had because it would take too long to dig down to where it was.

I have an uncle who is pretty well off and is such a cheap bastard. He actually pulls the refrigerator plug out of the socket to save on electricity. Meanwhile I wonder how the milk doesn't go bad. I think that is pretty damn cheap. Yup, he takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Here's another example of what I get to experience.
    A table of 3 calls me over and starts whining about their food. Biscuits hard, eggs not done right, etc. I offer to re-cook their food, but no, they don't have time. So I start taking the plates off the table because I figure if it's that "bad", they won't eat it and I'm not about to let them have it for free. If it's good enough to eat then it's good enough to be paid for. Miracles do happen They ended up "agreeing" that all that was wrong was the biscuits which I gladly took off their bill. Heck, one of the guys kept eating off his plate as I was picking it up and is hollering at me with a mouthful of food "Mine's good, dude. Give me my food back." You gotta love this business.

my friend's husband won't allow her to rinse the dishes in warm water ... cold only
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I go cheap on some of the food I buy. I buy the no name brand stuff to save a few bucks. Usually helps a ton. I don't cheap out on restaurant food, clothes or presents though. I stopped trying to pay youth prices for movies cause they started to card me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    my friend's husband won't allow her to rinse the dishes in warm water ... cold only
    Ewww, that's unsanitary! You have to wash dishes with hot water otherwise you don't kill all the germs and sterilize all the ick on them!!!

Anyway, tearing paper towels isn't being cheap, it's just not being wasteful--and better for the environment. Just take what you need! I love the ones with extra perforation.

My grandmother was a notorious miser--it was a symptom of having lived through a war, and having their family fortune lost through two fires and the early loss of her dad. She did all kinds of crazy things that embarassed me to no end when I was a kid--it was only later that I understood the reasoning behind her bizarre behavior. She didn't like to spend on anything. Going out to a restaurant, she always ordered an "an extra plate" (and eat portions of everyone else's food) and "extra napkins" (which would go straight into her purse), then she'd proceed to nick all the free sugar packets. My grandfather would buy her beautiful jewelry, but she would never wear it or even put it in a safety deposit box, she had it hidden all over the house, behind paintings and cabinets. She also loved crisp dollar bills--I used to watch her clean and iron her cash--and she hid that all over the house too. Once when the family went on vacation to NY, her purse was stolen and there was $3000 in cash in it! Why, I have no idea, because she would never dream of spending it. Also, she was obsessed with not wasting water or energy, she'd follow people aroun the house just to make sure lights and water were turned off immediately. My grandma was the grande dame of cheapness, but it just came from her intense fear of being suddenly deprived of everything again, even when financially our family was perfectly secure. When she passed away, we buried her with some crisp bills to make her happy, I'm sure she's enjoying them up in heaven somewhere.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I can really understand what Unklescott is talking about . . .

I've worked in restaurants in my day . . .

What I'd love was asking a customer how things were when they'd obviously finished their meal, and they'd pop the last crumb off their plate into their mouths before replying: "The food was cold!"

When I was real green, I got stung a few times by going to the weakest manager if that guy was running a shift and then having him respond by giving these cheapskates a voucher for a future free meal. Once I realized he was a wuss, I just wouldn't bother to tell him what the customer said. I just apologized with a smile and let them go on their merry way.

Or, having somebody express a problem with an order, up front, before a morsel of that meal was touched. If it was our fault, we'd apologize profusely, then remake the order correctly and allow the customer to partake of the incorrect order --- if they wanted --- while we made the correct one. No extra charge at all.

Word apparently got around, because a couple of guys came in one day and ordered a large pepperoni pizza to eat in-house. When I took it out, one of the guys complained that that wasn't what they'd ordered . . . They --- according to him --- had ordered a pizza that had a total of three toppings on it (and which, of course, was more expensive).

I apologized and said we'd make what he said they'd ordered.

Before I could say another word, the guy continued running his mouth and said: "Well, that was y'all's mistake, but that's OK . . . we'll just go ahead and eat on this one until ours comes out!"

I politely smiled at the guy and said I'd be glad to go tell the kitchen crew to make their correct order, and it'd just be a few mintues.

Still smiling, I --- and the pepperoni pizza --- disappeared into the kitchen.

I did happen to get a second's peek at the guy's face before I sailed off . . . He'd turned the loveliest shade of purple! I would've LOVED to have had a dress that color!

When I brought the correct pizza out, I also brought with me a copy of their original ticket, as well as a new ticket, and indicated the difference in price.

The guy turned even purpler (ness word) than before. He couldn't even raise his head to look me in the face. He simply coughed up the dough, finished up, and left with his buddy and his tail between his legs.

No tip, of course, but I wasn't expecting one, anyway, and didn't give a damn. That pepperoni pizza died a hero's death at my hands and the hands of the rest of the crew, so I was satisfied with the outcome!

Oh yeah . . . P.S.: That was the last time I recall seeing either of them in the restaurant on one of my shifts!

I'd just had enough that day, I guess!
    Last edited by ness; 07-12-2004 at 01:06 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey
    People in restaurants are so funny. I have had the lemonade trick done many times when I was waiting tables. "I'll just have water...with a lot of lemon." When I was in management, I would love for people to wait until they finished their meal and it was time to pay before they would complain. I would always ask them, "Did you tell your server about the problem?" Most of the time they would say no, so I would just smile sweetly and say, as I was ringing up their order, "Well, next time, be sure and tell your server, and they can get me to fix the problem." I have also had people come in, order a take out meal, sit in the restaurant to eat it, make a grand mess, and then leave. Of course, they wouldn't leave a tip, because they ordered take out. Rule of thumb: If someone has to clean your mess, leave a tip.

I love a bargain. LOVE a bargain. I'm also the type of person who can't resist bragging about it. "Oh, you like this shirt? I got it for 5 bucks!" My mom and I play that game with each other. I know she is always proud of me if I can tell her that the great gift I bought for her was on sale. Nothing makes us happier than a clearance sign. She taught me many valuable life lessons, not the least of which is how to shop at nice stores at certain times of the year to get things dirt cheap. a $70 dollar sweater for $11 just makes my little heart flutter.

Another trick I learned during my "poor years" was when I would put things on layaway at KMart, when you make a payment, you can ask them to check for price reductions. If something is on sale that is in layaway, they will reduce the price. I saved as much as $75 one year on Christmas presents for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Ewww, that's unsanitary! You have to wash dishes with hot water otherwise you don't kill all the germs and sterilize all the ick on them!!!

Anyway, tearing paper towels isn't being cheap, it's just not being wasteful--and better for the environment. Just take what you need! I love the ones with extra perforation.

My grandmother was a notorious miser--it was a symptom of having lived through a war, and having their family fortune lost through two fires and the early loss of her dad. She did all kinds of crazy things that embarassed me to no end when I was a kid--it was only later that I understood the reasoning behind her bizarre behavior. She didn't like to spend on anything. Going out to a restaurant, she always ordered an "an extra plate" (and eat portions of everyone else's food) and "extra napkins" (which would go straight into her purse), then she'd proceed to nick all the free sugar packets. My grandfather would buy her beautiful jewelry, but she would never wear it or even put it in a safety deposit box, she had it hidden all over the house, behind paintings and cabinets. She also loved crisp dollar bills--I used to watch her clean and iron her cash--and she hid that all over the house too. Once when the family went on vacation to NY, her purse was stolen and there was $3000 in cash in it! Why, I have no idea, because she would never dream of spending it. Also, she was obsessed with not wasting water or energy, she'd follow people aroun the house just to make sure lights and water were turned off immediately. My grandma was the grande dame of cheapness, but it just came from her intense fear of being suddenly deprived of everything again, even when financially our family was perfectly secure. When she passed away, we buried her with some crisp bills to make her happy, I'm sure she's enjoying them up in heaven somewhere.
    This is so familiar. My in laws are so tight it's kind of funny. We were talking one day about them not being able to take it with them. My husband's brother in law piped up to say he'd be glad to write them a check. Mother in law carries many bills in a sack in her bra. It makes her look like she has one boob twice as large as the other. Once I was elected to go check her out of the hospital. The amount she owed was over 3,000 dollars. I asked if she had her checkbook and she said she wouldn't need it. Honestly, she pulled that sack out, right in front of everyone and counted out the money. I wanted to fall through the floor.

Whoa! $3,000 in her bra! That is one big boob.

Edited to add:I didn't realize it looked like I was calling her a boob until I re-read my post. I was instead referring to the actual boobie.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

+ Reply to Thread