+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OK, now a thread on cheapness

Muduh, that is terrible, gee whiz.

Quote Originally Posted by karna68
    I will go to 2 or 3 different grocery stores to take advantage of the sales. I normally go to Wal Mart and they ad match but it's a pain, they never do it on pop or BOGO's.
    BOGO"s? I hate to think I'm missing out on a bargain because I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    BOGO"s? I hate to think I'm missing out on a bargain because I don't know what it is.
    BOGO = Buy One, Get One free

The grocery chain Giant Eagle does it around here. Only we laugh, as there is no "F" for "free", so of course if you buy one, you get one.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I don't know if this is due to cheapness entirely, but my Mom goes ballistic if she's charged too much for an item at Walmart or Kroger. Even if it's been a week and she was only overcharged a dime, she'll march right up to the service desk and complain until she gets her dime back. I've been with her on a few of these occasions. She claims its the principle of the thing. I tell her she's practicing to be a crotchety old woman.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, my mom counts every item right there at cashiers when she gets the receipt back. She goes down the whole list to make sure that she got the discount she was supposed to get etc. Their principle is a good one to keep the grocers on their toes with what they advertise, but I can not make myself to do that, and I let things slide like you do, too.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I've torn paper towels in half
    Me too. And living my myself, a roll of paper towels lasts about six months anyway - without tearing them in half. (no, I haven't located the kitchen in my apartment - but if/when I do, my paper towel consumption may increase)

I used to work for (is there a word worse than frugal, or even cheap?) a man who would take the littlest post-it notes and cut them in half. The ones that are 1 inch x 1 inch. I admit I've cut the bigger ones in half . Want not waste not, apparently. Come on pal, live a little.

I have seen a paper towel brand that makes half sheets (well, technically those are not half sheets then anymore, but...). Obviously you ladies are not alone because there is a market for the half sheets (I would tell you what the brand is, but I can not remember the name and whether it was in Finland or US where I saw it.)
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I know it's one of the big-name brands (Brawny, Scott, something...). Apparently you've never enjoyed the satisfaction of knowing you've just saved a half a paper towel, and are in some way contributing to conserving the rain forests. (I didn't say it was logical! )

One of my hospice patients(God Love her) saved EVERYTHING! In her cabnits she had saved tons of those foam containers that you get when your order mashed poatoes and gravy. She also had saved hundreds of those little prescription bags, plastic baggies to reuse(drawers full of them),she would also reuse plastic wrap and foil.This lady was not really cheap but came from a family of like 10 kids and she was 86 years old and used to making use of everything. At christmas she gave me a check for a x-mas bonus and it was for $10.00 :-) She also worried more about not leaving her nephews and neices her money then using it to take care of herself. She had no kids and had the biggest heart! She also paid for some of her relatives kids to go to college! I guess reusing and being cheap sure pays off. lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I have seen a paper towel brand that makes half sheets (well, technically those are not half sheets then anymore, but...). Obviously you ladies are not alone because there is a market for the half sheets (I would tell you what the brand is, but I can not remember the name and whether it was in Finland or US where I saw it.)
    Bounty here in the US does that. My mom, who lives alone, uses them. I accidentally bought a large package of them at Sam's and they are a pain, as I rarely can make do with half. When I rip off two to make a regular sized sheet, then it is weak at the perforation.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread