+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OK, now a thread on cheapness

Oh Unk! That stuff would drive me insane.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Went to Bali where you can buy alcohol for the price of dirt. Bought 750ml bottle...cost us.. 160,000 Rupiah = $32 Singapore DOllars = 17 US ...

Cheap...very cheap... but you know what that means!!...

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    This is quite common. I've had long blonde hair in a blonde womans plate when I've had no blondes working in the restaurant. Her reply? "Well it must flown off somebody's head onto my plate as it was being brought out." Get real lady, you're the only blonde in the entire restaurant!
    I must've had the same woman come to the place I used to work.

Well I guess you could call me frugal. I don't mind buying things but need to really shop around before I settle on something. Many of you know about my in laws. They are the cheapest two people on the face of the earth. I have never, ever eaten a meal in a restaurant with them. They were afraid they might have to pay. They wouldn't have, but were afraid to take the chance. They now live with their daughter and do not help out one penny. I think their stingyness is a sickness. What do they plan to do with their money? They're in their 90's.

Muduh,
    That sounds like residual fear from the Depression. It's not at all uncommon, but it is frustrating to deal with.

I love to ad match but I hate waiting in line behind those unorganized ad matchers. I have mine out and ready to go as soon as it's my turn. Saves me quite a bit really.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

My father in law has got to be the cheapest man i know..... I wont even give him frugal... the man is plain CHEAP. A couple yrs ago we went for a visit. Took him and the mom in law to dinner..... His fave chinese buffet (all you can eat go figure)

Kids cost 50 cents per year of their age..... a 2 yr old = $1
    My girls were 2 & 5 at the time so $3.50 for both

Normally speaking we got along just great..... this all changed however when the waitress came and asked how old my children were, I said 2 & 5.
    The waitress left and boy did he rip a strip off of me.
    I said point blank, a dollar was not worth teaching my children it was ok to lie.
    He shut up for the rest of the meal and didnt speak to me again until the next day.

The kicker to all of this...... We Paid For it !!

As much as I like to buy nice clothing, I refuse to waste good money buying fancy play clothes for my kids. Whenever there is a sale on basic tee's, shorts, etc. at Target or discount stores, I totally stock up. I learned the hard way that too many clothes get completely stained or ruined at the park, in the backyard or eating...particularly the T-shirts. This way, it doesn't bother me if a $2 or $3 shirt gets destroyed.

This might sound odd but I will only buy the cereal that is on sale. I think cereal is way too overpriced. I go to the market and stock up when certain types are on sale like Cheerios, Raisin Bran.

In regards to household products, I often purchase the Target generic versions. I find the quality to be completely comparable and the prices reasonable.

I guess I would rather spend the money on things that really make a difference for our family.

I will go to 2 or 3 different grocery stores to take advantage of the sales. I normally go to Wal Mart and they ad match but it's a pain, they never do it on pop or BOGO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Muduh,
    That sounds like residual fear from the Depression. It's not at all uncommon, but it is frustrating to deal with.
    You must believe me when I tell you, these people probably didn't know there WAS a depression. They come from a long line of "money" and this is obviously the way the early ones got it. The only luxuries they have ever allowed themselves are the ones someone else paid for. If someone gives them a nice gift and they can find out where it came from, they return it for a refund. If that is not possible, they sell it at a yard sale to get a few dollars. I remember once I bought her a beautiful sewing box. She sews all the time. I paid quite a bit for the box. We went there unannounced and she was having her never ending yard sale. The sewing box, in the box it came in, was there for 5.00. My 13 (now 44) year old daughter bought it and uses it today. Can you even imagine having the nerve to sell an item to a child when her parent gave it to you in the first place?

+ Reply to Thread