+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thrift store fans at the FORT?

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...

Any thrift store fans at the FORT?

I just found some great bargains today at my local thrift store. I enjoy finding great old books and "previously experienced" fashions for very little money. I like the fact that my favorite local thrift store also has brand new items and furniture. Also the money they raise goes to fund a local home and school for children who have either been orphaned or who have difficult family situations that prevent them from living at home.

I also love to shop at consignment stores. I have to shop in moderation, but I have saved lots of money on clothes and other household items over the years.

Are there any other thrift store fans here at the FORT. If so, tell us about your best finds or favorite local shops.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Are you kidding me? I love thrift stores! We have some great ones here and even better ones in Atlanta. I don't think I've ever been in a consignment shop, but I do love thrift stores.

Best find ever - a huge wrought iron mirror that's hanging in my living room right now.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

I love thrift shops!!!

I bought some border for my bathroom when I was remodeling for a quarter. I also bought some really cute wicker baskets for my plants.. Paid $2.00 for them and bought curtains for my dining room and kitchen for $2.00.

Oh, I'm a fan of thrift stores/junk shops too. Most of my family's furniture has come from junk shops over the years -- antique tables or dressers, etc., that maybe just need a little refinishing.
    I have a cool red-silk lampshade that cost me $3 at a junk shop.
    My favorite winter coat is red wool, rhinestone buttons, fur collar, 60's vintage -- $10 at Goodwill. I found a similar black one last year for $8 at a thrift store.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Count me in as a rack hunter at thrift stores. We have a nice brand spankin' new Goodwill in Huntington and I found a really cool men's denim shirt with "Wayne Pioneers" inscribed on a pocket
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

My dad used to bring boxes of books home from thrift stores.

My first experience with thrift stores was waay back when I was working prep at an Italian restaurant. I had to pour the boiling water off the pasta into these giant drains in the floor, so I was standing in hot water most of the day. This was NOT easy on the shoes. I was broke and in college at the time, so I couldn't afford to go buy a new pair of black shoes once a month. I finally found a local thrift store where they sold used shoes for like, $1.00 a pair. It was great.

After that, I'd go into thrift stores just to browse occasionally. Brought home my own boxes of books. Found a beautiful Ann Taylor jacket in one once. I've moved to where they don't really have any now, but I always had fun going.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I don't really go into thrift shops unless I'm looking for something specific, like a Halloween costume or something basic like a black skirt or white shirt. I will, however, donate my old stuff to them whenever I can.

Along these same lines, I love used music stores. I've gotten some great deals. I got the Queer Eye soundtrack with the bonus DVD for $13.

I'm a thrifter as well! I got hooked back in high school when we'd shop there for our costume closet in the drama department. I don't get to go very often since the better stores are in a totally different part of town, but it's always fun when there's time to make a day of it and rummage thru things looking for that special item that everybody else has missed or is just the thing you were looking for. My big thing now (oh hell who am I kidding, it's always been) is men's clothes...I'm a jacket maniac and just love the way a good casual men's shirt fits.

Amanda, you are so right, Atlanta does have some great thrift shops! I used to spend much time up there and that was always a favorite way to pass away the days in between bar hopping at night.

Oh, this is a good thread to mention this in. A few weeks before Christmas every year, I take clothes and toys to donate to Goodwill. The shelves are almost bare that time of year, so it's a great time to donate.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love thrift stores. Being a single mom, it makes it a lot easier to clothe my daughter. Heck, if I made big bucks I would probably still shop there. Kids grow so fast it is almost a waste to spend lots of money on clothes they will grow out of before they wear them out.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast