+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thrift store fans at the FORT?

I love the Goodwill stores. My daughter is so much fun to go with because she can visualize what can be done with what. Last year we went and when we got to check out, they said that everything was 33% off for Senior Citizens. Suddenly everything from her basket ended up in mine. She had a huge sack of tops for her college daughter. I had 3 coats for my 3 year old plus many odds and ends. Oh, and a set of flannel sheets for me. Everything together was 24.00. I told her to put her money away. I could swing that. I also got a small black shoulder strap purse that was a name she knew but I didn't. Anyway, I use it all the time.
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was a living room set. It was the Southwest design, like new for 120.00. Sofa and Love Seat. Not my style but for a young couple starting out on a shoe string, it would have been great. It looked like new.Good quality too.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Oh, I love to go thriftin' too! My youngest daughter is in to "vintage" everything these days. So we shopped for her entire kitchen - she has pastel glass bowls and cups "just like Grampa used to drink out of"

My son shops at two stores for his clothes...Army/Navy surplus and Thrift shops. He assembles computers so he never needs any dress clothes for work.

I buy used books all the time...I could spend days in the book section! My best friend from grade school got me started on buying used books. She has searched for all the versions of the Nancy Drew mystery series. When she finished her collection she started sending me the books she found! Totally cool - I know have three versions of each book
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

I love Goodwill, Salvation Army etc type of thrift stores, we've got some great ones in our area I've found some virtually brand new stuff there, and for Halloween I always go there to find clothes to dress up in and I end up spending about 5-10 bucks for a costume that in those "Halloween stores" would probably be around 50. lol. Love thrift stores and I also like supporting those types of stores as they are definitely a fine & nobel cause.

Thrift stores rule!
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I do the Vintage stores and the Thrift Shops sometimes too.. can always get a really cool t-shirt.

*thread jack*

Wyndemere! You changed your name! Or, I guess now its Tigrazhia. That's cool, too. Will take some getting used to, though.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I absolutely love thrift stores. I live in California and there are plenty to choose from but my favorites are up in Oregon. Whenever I go up there, I find so many great things. I collect handbags and sometimes make lucky finds on cool vintage pieces for only a dollar or two. I also love to look for vintage fabric or really great old coats. I think someone else mentioned this but they are a great place to find old barware, dishes, cups. It's amazing what people donate. Someone else's trash...

I love thrift stores; as several other people have mentioned, Atlanta has tons of good ones. But, I have to limit my visits, because I just can't pass up the deals, and I end up with way too much stuff if I'm not careful!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I go in streaks on thrift stores. I have found some great shirts and sweaters. I have decided not to get pants there anymore because that I have had no luck with. Found a great black leather jacket last year for $10, a raw silk shirt for 69 cents, a beaded sweater for $1. I also get books from used books stores or thrift stores. Sometimes get things for the kids, like sweatshirts or jackets, found a really cute skirt outfit for my oldest with the tags still on, a $40 outfit for $2. But there have been times, I have found nothing at all. It's all depends on the day.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I used to go to thrift stores a lot. I am usually looking for books and furniture to refinish, but I do browse everything, one never knows. It is difficult to find good stuff here though because there are "thrift shop professionals", people who go to thrift stores the day they put new stuff in (at Salvation Army here wednesday=stock up day), buy it cheap, and then sell it in their own garage sale, antique shop or eBay. Therefore it is hard to come by the good stuff for a random shopper.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Used books stores. I have a very nice Anais Nin collection. My daughters have some pretty funky clothes, but of course, not as funky as their mom's. I also like the art deco stuff.

I like to display my photos rather than keep them in an album, so about twenty five years ago (when my oldest was born) I started buying the cheap, old and ugly oil paintings and such. I just attach my pictures on top of them, sometimes I'll cut them into shapes (always get two sets!) - and end up with a sort of collage-type thing, but it's always fun to cut out a picture of one person sitting down and then paste that person sitting on someone else's shoulder. I've got a ton of them and proudly display them in the back bedroom which has become my storage/office. I don't think others are as enthralled by my artistic talents as I am. It's also fun to see how eveyone has changed.

(*side note* I've also done one wall in my bedroom the same way. I love going to sleep knowing my family is right there with me. So I can keep an eye on those lunatics.
    Last edited by J.D.; 07-09-2004 at 08:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast