+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looks or personality?

Looks or personality?

Reading other threads, this question came to mind. Overall when it comes to dating or judging someone, which do you find more important, looks or personality?

I think both are important. If someone doesn't take good care of their looks but have a great personality, it would be hard for me to be with them. I kind of need a mix of both. Don't get me wrong, they don't have to look like Jose Theodore or anything but I do like when guys take care of themselves.

I wouldn't want to be with a hunk who's an ass either.

A good example of where my question stems from is from Big Brother. I didn't like the 2 ugliest people in the house at first just because they're looks didn't appeal to me. Of course this is just judging from the 1st show, I don't see what else I could possibly judge by until I get to know them better.

Also in discussions of 1 night stands, someone told me they go for personality whereas I would go more for looks if it's just for 1 night.

What do you guys have to say?...

I like personality, but if there is no physical attraction.. than I am not interested either. I have seen some nice looking people with the worse attitudes and personality, and than I have seen some not so nice looking people with great personalities. I think the personality is what I would go by, but they have to have to be appealing too. Hope this makes sense

I can honestly say that I've never dated anyone that I found attractive the first time I saw him. For me, it's all about personality. The guys I've dated, I found attractive once I got to know them and THEN I started dating them.

To be honest? If a guy is too good-looking, I'm automatically leery. I lean toward the geeky types myself.

There has to be a little bit of a mix for me of both looks and personality. Definitely most of the focus is on personality, if you can't make me think and can't make me laugh then there's zero there for me. BUT at the same time there has to be something physically as well, a guy doesn't have to have a good body, perfect face, be a certain type (heavier, thinner), or have a certain look to them....as long as they do take basic care of themselves (you know, bathe, brush teeth, wear non smelling clothes, I'm not real picky lol) I can always find something very attractive about them.

Now if you want to go into talking about one nighter's as Eva mentioned....then honestly it's an all about the looks thing for me.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    I want looks AND personality..and I don't settle.
    but y'all know what a brat I am.

So who said they had one night stands based on personality? Are you kidding me?
    If it was just one night I could put up with an idiot with no personality if he looked like Matt damon.

There's this guy at work.....he's super hot...blonde, blue eyes, 6'2, cut body..he looks like he walked out of an abercrombie & fitch catalog...but when he opens his mouth it's over. He's like a male Jessica Simpson. He's asked me out before and flirts with me constantly..and it gets on my last nerve. He doesn't know how to do anything and is always asking what to do and how to do it, and he calls my office a minimum 4 times per day to ask or tell me some dumb ass stuff....drives me NUTS.

But if I could kick him out of bed a few hours later.

Like that would ever happen...he hasn't had a girlfriend in the 2 years I've known him...and I can see why.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

JR.
    Eva, you know everyone will say both.

Personality & common outlook/goals- definately most important to me.
    Seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been very attracted to the people I've dated, but because of who they are, not what they look like. I think you can find handsome, good looking, cute, sexy in almost every face/body if you really look and really are drawn to be closer to someone. Like in the eyes, the manner of a smile, strong profile, kissable lips, warm enveloping arms, hair that feels so good to run your fingers through, just this great scent about someone that drives you wild, intelligence, quiet confidence, sense of humor and sense of responsibility....... the way someone interacts with a child or their friends or their family - that's hot.....

I consider myself a fairly attractive woman (blonde, blue eyes, 5"5"", 115 lbs, in good physical shape) but to tell the truth, the guys who tend to approach me...ugh - I've always found the model types, "hunks" or like "hottest guy" material guys a little too self-absorbed for my tastes. The guys I've been with in the past aren't typically too buff (sorry - I really find that rather unattractive, at least in someone I would date), but in good shape, work hard, a little hair on the chest, couldn't name a single hair product to save their lives... and, while not beaten with an ugly stick or anything, just regular nice guys who for whatever reason I was intrigued by.
    Of course, I find them incredibly sexy, attractive, etc, but not sure (and frankly don't care) if anyone else does.

Oh, and on the one-night stand thing?....see above. I might be tempted by a really "hot" guy, if I found him interesting enough, but wouldnt take him home for that reason. I'm not that desperate for sex. All my one night stands have been guys I've "sorta" known, like on the fringes of my life, that I've been drawn to and had previous interaction/conversation with..... but, nope - sorry, not a complete stranger, no matter how "hot" everyone else might think he is.
    Last edited by ADKLove; 07-07-2004 at 10:34 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

As long as their teeth are okay and they don't smell bad, looks aren't nearly as important as personality to me. Plus, usually after you get to know a someone with a good disposition, they become better looking.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Looks, definitely.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

a nice combination of both works for me. I've had one nighters with some not so stellar guys and long relationships with some pretty boys. Eh, it's really hard to pin down. Truth be told I like unconventional over cookie cutter men.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast