+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looks or personality?

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    HAH!!!! I've seen your picture, don't sell yourself short, your beautiful!
    Joeguy, you're sweet.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Ah, if I only was better-looking and wasn't quite so burdened with this dark personality, AmandaFabulous just might think I was the one.

But in all seriousness, whoever said looks aren't important is a liar. Seriously. I think both are important. I wouldn't want to be with a girl I can't stand to look at. But on the other hand, she could be a supermodel but have no brains or be full of herself (like a Jessica Simpson) and that's just as much a turn-off as an ugly girl.

Now, if we're talking just for fun, then I go for the supermodel and just not ever call her again. But for a meaningful relationship, I prefer the complete package.

Now if I could just FIND that damn package...
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    But in all seriousness, whoever said looks aren't important is a liar. Seriously.
    That would be me, and no I'm not. But you go right ahead and project if that's what will make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    That would be me, and no I'm not. But you go right ahead and project if that's what will make you feel better.
    I wasn't referring to you, actually. It was more of a general "whoever". Like the same people you talk about when you say "they say"... blah blah.

I really wish I could say that looks don't matter, but they do somewhat. I guess I'm just evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Now if I could just FIND that damn package...

YA - maybe that's the problem (Just kidding - you should know better than to come on here and leave yourself open like that) I'm sure someone on this board would be more than happy to find it for you
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    YA - maybe that's the problem (Just kidding - you should know better than to come on here and leave yourself open like that) I'm sure someone on this board would be more than happy to find it for you
    Hehe... well, I've made that joke myself many times (I think I left it under the sofa last time). Well played, though. Point to you on that one. Assist to me.

I used to be alooks person when I was younger, because that is obviously an initial attraction. Then my mom (those wise women) said something somewhat profound for me. If this great looking guy you're with were in a horrible face scarring accident and were ugly but otherwise fine, would you still be attracted to him? Is this someone you could be with if you suddenly lost your sight? At that point the answer was no he was a good looking jerk.
    So, I decided to go out with the next guy that wasn't my physical looking type and see what happened. Well, the guy asked I went and had a blast. Put down my looks pretenses and it was one fun time after another and now we are married and I am so head over heels and he is now the most attractive person to me. That good looking guy isn't so hot anymore now either.

Either way, YA, what good does it do to say that other people are less than honest, either with themselves or with the people reading this thread? I know a lot of times people say the things they think people want to hear, but that doesn't make it an across-the-board certainty.

For me personally, I've gone out with some incredibly attractive people. Some of them were even smart and funny, and those relationships were cool. But some of them were idiots, and we didn't last long. My longest - and by far, best - relationship was with a guy who I don't think anyone would ever look at and say "Damn!", but he was amazing. Absolutely the funniest person I've ever known in real life. And even though when we met I wasn't physically drawn to him, he got more and more attractive to me the more he talked. A month into that one, I wouldn't have traded him for Brad Pitt or Jude Law or any other conventionally beautiful man.

I don't fault anyone for putting stock into physical beauty. That's what they're into, and it's a nice bonus. But for ME, it's just a non-issue. And I mean that honestly.

Fair point, Amanda, and I apologize if my previous comment offended anyone. It wasn't intended to be an insult to anyone.

Well said Amanda. I totally get that. Having someone who is honest, amazing, and has depth is worth a little less gild. I can still appreciate good looking people.
    My husband has said over and over he knows he will never be a pretty boy.He isn't ugly by any means but he will never be a Brad as you say. But wow is he comfortable and confident in his own skin and that is a total turn on to me.

Sure good looking is a bonus but it is very fleeting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast