+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

Buffalo, NY:

-Chicken wings
    -4 consecutive Super Bowl losses
    -Blizzards
    -Killing President McKinley in 1901
    -Launching President Cleveland's political career

But it's really the Super Bowl thing that put us on the map. An awesome feat, that. :rolleyes

I wasn't born here, but have lived in Perrysburg, Ohio for over 30 years.

It was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, famous for the quote, "We have met the enemy and they are ours...", at the conclusion of the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.

A key War of 1812 fort is still here, well a rebuilt replica....... "The Site - Built in 1813 to defend the Ohio Country against British invasion, Fort Meigs constitutes the largest wooden walled fortification in North America. Today the fort stands rebuilt on its original location within a 65 acre wooded park. The ten acre fort is enclosed by a stockade wall and contains seven blockhouses, five cannon batteries, and numerous interior eight foot high earthworks." http://www.fortmeigs.org/

Jim Leyland, manager of the 1997 World Champion Florida Marlins, was born and raised here. His mom just passed away this past year.

eta: Jerry Glanville, the NFL coach, also was raised here.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My hometown is a little town straddling the border of Virginia and West Virginia.
    It's the birthplace of John Nash.
    It's "Virginia's Tallest Town" -- i.e. it has the highest elevation. This means it also has acquired the name, "nature's air-conditioned city" because the highs in the summer usually stay in the 80's. If it hits 90 degrees, the Chamber of Commerce gives out free lemonade.
    Duke Ellington once played a concert there in which so many people crowded around him on stage that the floor fell in.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Heh... yes, about 5 years ago. I still can't get the hang of it. It will always be Pine Knob to me.
    Folks down here in the Toledo area still call it Pine Knob. I didn't know it had changed either.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Oh, I forgot. Mark Twain used to be Buffalo's newspaper editor. That's pretty cool.

Wow, that is cool, Amanda! I bet that was a snappy newspaper in his day.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Birthplace- Brooklyn, NY:
    -Saturday Night Fever locale
    -Brooklyn bridge
    -Many other things

Childhood - mid 20's hometown - Staten Island NY
    -Home to the worlds largest landfill which was closed and then reopened to become the resting place for most of the World Trade Center debris
    -Site of the first peace talks to end the Revolutionary war

Current home - Washingtonville, NY
    Home to the oldest continuously operating winery in the US - since the 1860s
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Carlisle, PA

I'm originally from Hershey, PA but everyone knows what made that town famous. So, this is where I call home:

Carlisle, PA-population 17,900

* Birthplace of Jim Thorpe, arguably one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century.
    * Home of the U.S. Army War College
    * Host of one of the biggest car shows in the country. The fairgrounds host 10 major car shows which draw over 500,000 people a year.
    * Home of three professional sports stars: Sid Bream (Pittsburgh Pirates), Lee Woodall (San Fran 49ers) and Billy Owens (Sac Kings)
    *An all around great place to live!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Mark Twain lived in Buffalo, and STILL penned "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"???

I hate to say it,but our town is known for it's meth labs!

+ Reply to Thread