+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

MRD

Re: What's your home town famous for?

THose hotels sound cool. I wouldn't mind staying in a few of them.

Well growing up there, we thought agriculture was boring. Now, I wish I could go back to that time. In a way.
    We had NO entertainment in our town except a movie theater that only showed 2 movies, no multi-plex. We didn't even have a bowling alley. Everyone hung out at McDonald's. Pathetic. Oh and we did have a huge rodeo once a year, complete with parade and Wild West shootout in downtown where they robbed the bank.

Looking back, it was a great place to grow up. But also, there wasn't a lot to do and we did get into trouble sometimes because of that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

UPDATE: The World's Longest Game has ended....they raised $301,623.00 for pediatric cancer. The money is going for a very new and expensive microscope!! elephant

Final scores:
    Team Hope = 2223
    Team Cure = 2250

Time Played: 240 Hours

Can you imagine? 4473 goals scored. The players are hurtin and the volunteers are exhausted but everyone is thrilled at the support and outcome.

Congrats to all who were involved!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

That's awesome. I'm sure that money will go a long way for research. That's something to be proud of!

Well, we're not famous for this (yet), but George Romero has put in his immigration papers and hopes to be moving to Toronto shortly. Woo hoo! The king of the zombie flick living in my home town. The opening sequence to Night of the Living Dead is, for my money, the scariest bit of film going.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2797976;
    Congrats fluff! Mine was the 2007 Canadian Cultural Capital! Where exactly are you?
    I live in Canada in the GTA and have done for ten years, but my home town is Liverpool, England.
    "That's Numberwang!"

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

I grew up in Carmel, California which is probably best known for it's shopping, art galleries and beaches. Definitely a touristy type of place with some pretty fun places to check out, like 17-Mile-Drive, Pebble Beach (we just had the annual AT&T Pro Am Golf Tournament (it'll always be the "Crosby Pro Am" to me ).

And of course there's Clint Eastwood (who was mayor for all of one term way back in the '80s ).

I used to work at the Wells Fargo in Carmel and Alan Funt (crabby), Al Jardine (one of the Beach Boys who never seemed to smile) and Ansel Adams (SUPER sweet, and always came in with his wife - don't remember her name) were customers. I know Paul Anka, Kim Novak and Doris Day lived there back when I was growing up but I'm not sure if they're still there.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Fluff: I'd love to go to England one day. BTW, David Beckham is coming to TO isn't he, to play a game or two?

Jewelsy: I went to Carmel with my family when I was very little. I remember it was absolutely gorgeous. The white sand, an ice cream cone, and ocean. Ahhhh. Beautiful.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Miss Kitty, that is great the game raised that money. I can't imagine them playing that long. Just watching one hockey game exhausts me and I'm not on the ice.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread