+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

Re: What's your home town famous for?

My hometown (Griffin, Georgia) is the birthplace of Doc Holliday, olympic sprinter Wyomia Tyus and retired football player Willie Gault.

Back in the early 1900's a company named Pomona Products began here...they were the first to mass produce canned pimentos in the U.S.

Several movies have been partly or mostly filmed around here - most notably Driving Miss Daisy and We Are Marshall.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

We hold the world record for the longest continuous game of hockey!!

It started as a fundraiser by a dentist, Brent Saik, who built a rink on his acreage and got local Oilers, media, friends and supporters to play for cancer research after the death of his young wife. The only catch is that every single player, must have been touched by the devestating effects of cancer.

Attachment 23293
    Go to worldslongestgame.com!!!
    40 Players, 10 Days, One Goal

The game starts this weekend: unfortunately in -30C to -40C weather. It's going to be a very rough one this year.
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We may be in the running for a new Guiness World Record...Coldest Outdoor Hockey Game!! It's been -30C to -40C with windchill. The players, ref, and staff are really hurting out there. Brrrrr.

Outdoor games are usually cancelled at those temperatures.

Miss Kitty: Our local (Alabama) news mentioned that Hockey tournament tonight.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Ummmmm....

We have a movie named after us (even though most of it takes place in Brainard, Minnesota).

Home of CariDee English (ANTM Cycle 7)

We usually make the news at least once or twice a year for our cold weather. In fact, we were just featured on the Today Show this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2788925;
    Miss Kitty: Our local (Alabama) news mentioned that Hockey tournament tonight.
    They've played 6 days 4 hours. And the weather has warmed up immensely!! Poor guys have frostbite, pulled muscles, can't sleep well between shifts. They're up to $145,000 but they are hoping for $500,000. I hope the warmer temperatures bring out more supporters to the rink and more money!!

The score is 686 to 683! I guess that means their goaltending is pretty bad!

My home town is the 2008 European Capital of Culture.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2797840;
    My home town is the 2008 European Capital of Culture.
    Congrats fluff! Mine was the 2007 Canadian Cultural Capital! Where exactly are you?

MRD

My original home town is the all time winner of no culture. Wait, we used to say the only culture we had was Agri-culture.

(talking about my new hometown now)I think that people are actually amazed that a bunch of backwoods hicks from SC can actually have culture, but we have a lot here in Greenville. 2 art museums with impressive collections and several other history museums, a fabulous library system and a performing arts center.

Besides we also host the Public high school for the performing arts for the state. It's called the Governor's school for the performing arts and is a boarding school for students from all over SC. You must audition to be chosen as a student.

We also have a great jazz and blues community here.

Not to mention an amazing amount of folk art and folk music which I find to be culturally fascinating as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog: I think agri-culture is great culture! Sounds like a wonderful place to live! We also have the Victoria School of the Arts sounds much like your Governor's School. All students must audition as well! It's difficult to get into.
    -----------------

I just found out that our West Edmonton Mall made the list on the Bed, Breakfast & Bizarre: Five of the World’s Weirdest Hotels! I'd love to stay in the other four; that would be cool.

A peek inside some of the weirdest and most wondrous hotels in the world, with accommodations ranging from tree houses to helicopters.

The highly competitive leisure industry is always trying to outdo itself. Every season, it seems, a new hotel or resort opens with a gimmick tailor-made to lure in curious travellers. Some are brilliant, others simply bizarre. The hotels on this list make well-publicized unusual lodgings such as Quebec’s Ice Hotel or the space-conscious capsule hotels in Japan look alarmingly normal by comparison. With accommodations like these, the actual vacation is an afterthought.

Fantasyland Hotel – Edmonton, Alta.
    From the outside, Edmonton’s Fantasyland Hotel looks like your average downtown office tower. But on the inside, it’s a fantasy: 120 rooms are designed with 12 distinct, family-friendly motifs such as “Hollywood,” “Victorian Coach” and “Canadian Rail.” And with the famed West Edmonton Mall practically in the basement, you could stay here a whole week without ever going outside. Tacky? Maybe a little. Boring? Not on your life.

Jule’s Undersea Lodge – Key Largo, Fla.
    For those unsatisfied with a waterfront balcony, Jules’ Undersea Lodge is located 6.4 metres below the surface of Key Largo’s Emerald Lagoon in a converted underwater research lab. Named in honour of Jules Verne, author of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, the cozy accommodations don’t exactly qualify as luxurious. But great scuba tours are available, as are three-hour instructional courses for eager but uncertified guests. And the stunning ocean views are unbeatable—at least until early 2009 when the Poseidon, a luxury Bahamian undersea resort, is scheduled to open.

Library Hotel – New York, N.Y.
    Taking the themed-suite concept to a decidedly nerdy extreme, New York City’s Library Hotel is the ultimate in niche hotels. Featuring 60 rooms stacked with more than 6,000 books, each floor and suite is inspired by—wait for it—a category of the Dewey Decimal System. While “Economics,” and “Mathematics” may not seem like inspiring interior design concepts, this boutique hotel doesn’t scrimp on the luxury amenities, including access to the American Film Institute’s top 100 films of the 20th Century on DVD. And yes, Room 800.001 is indeed the “Erotic Literature” room.

Wild Canopy Reserve – Masinagudi, India
    Overnighting in the middle of a wildlife reserve may seem downright dangerous, but guests of Wild Canopy can rest assured that they’re well protected while they sleep where the wild things are. Built on an old coffee plantation, this unique spot features two fully appointed suites set 15 metres above ground, amid the branches of enormous trees. Your backyard tree house has nothing on this: en suite running water, an outdoor Jacuzzi and almost instantaneous access to leopards, tigers, hyenas and elephants (on guided treks and safaris, of course).

The Winvian – Morris, Conn.
    Themed suites aren’t the exclusive territory of kitschy highway motels—high society loves sleeping over in weird places too, darling. Tucked away on 113 acres in Connecticut’s über-exclusive Litchfield Hills, the Winvian boasts 19 uniquely designed cottages, each based on a different New England theme. “Secret Society” offers an inside look at Yale’s secret Skull & Bones society; “Camping” brings the outdoors indoors, and “Helicopter” lets you lounge inside a restored Sea King Coast Guard Huey. Offering an unparalleled mix of luxury and weirdness, there’s simply no place like this place, anyplace.

Bed, Breakfast & Bizarre: Five of the World’s Weirdest Hotels : articles : CAA : Travel : Sympatico / MSN

+ Reply to Thread