+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

Re: What's your home town famous for?

I lived in Bay Village for a few years back in the 70's Veruka. The mayor lived on my street so we always got plowed right away. It was great during the blizzard.

FORT Fogey

I must have just missed you Unk -- my family moved there in 1980. Was Cowles the mayor who lived on your street? He rocked. I remember meeting him when I was about 7, and thinking I was meeting a major star. It didn't take much to impress me!

I think that's the name. He used to be the police chief prior to becoming mayor.

FORT Fogey

Yep, that's him. The only mayor in the city for a long long long time if not ever who got into office without being on city council first.

I moved to Cleveland from Nashville in '73, got married in '74 and bought a house in Bay in '76. I moved to Columbus in '78 and have been here ever since. He got elected for the first time when I was living there.

My current home town of Grand Rapids, MI:

It's the second largest city in MI and used to be the furniture capitol of the US.
    It's home to Meijer (the grocery store chain) and Amway/Alticor Corp (anyone up for a nice pyramid scheme?)
    The premier of the movie "The Polar Express" was held here because the author is from here.
    It has one of the largest historic urban districts (Heritage Hills), the houses are just gorgeous around here.
    Gerald R. Ford was from here and he is actually buried at his museum downtown.

Some other notables:
    Gillian Anderson (X-Files)
    DeBarge
    Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)- Last year I took an LSAT class from his brother-in law
    Andy Richter
    Al Green

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2740369;
    Okay, I'm dumb as a post, but my very first thought on reading this is "he's still alive, isn't he?"
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

(waving to fellow michiganian, Yardgnome)
    i think kim zimmer is from grand rapids, too ...

i'm lovin' this thread too ... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2740372;
    Okay, I'm dumb as a post, but my very first thought on reading this is "he's still alive, isn't he?"
    Had to look it up for sure - President Ford died on December 26, 2006 at his home in Rancho Mirage, California. After ceremonies in California, Washington, and Grand Rapids, he was interred on the grounds of the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2740369;
    My current home town of Grand Rapids, MI:

It's the second largest city in MI and used to be the furniture capitol of the US.
    It's home to Meijer (the grocery store chain) and Amway/Alticor Corp (anyone up for a nice pyramid scheme?)
    The premier of the movie "The Polar Express" was held here because the author is from here.
    It has one of the largest historic urban districts (Heritage Hills), the houses are just gorgeous around here.

Some other notables:
    Gillian Anderson (X-Files)
    DeBarge
    Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)- Last year I took an LSAT class from his brother-in law
    Andy Richter
    Al Green
    You left off a biggie--*I* was born there Thank goodness Mom and Dad had the good sense to eventually move to Columbus, Ohio before my gentle Buckeye psyche was permanently scarred

+ Reply to Thread