+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

FORT Fanatic

Re: What's your home town famous for?

I love this thread.......I've learned so much about where everyone comes from.....including me

MRD

Wow, this has been a really fun thread and very interesting. I don't think I could do the glass floor. I've been in a really tall building during a storm and you could feel it swaying and see the chandielier swinging. That was weird.

Yesterday, I took the girls and went off to the "dark corner" of our county. We found the "Poinsett Bridge" named after the man who brought the Poinsettia back from Mexico. He's from here. He designed this bridge in 1820. It's stone and it's really pretty. Out in the middle of nowhere, with all the stone covered in soft green moss and a waterfall just upriver from it.

Well my friends daughter was scared because it was so old and she asked if cars still went on it and I said no. She wouldn't walk out on it because she thought it would fall because "if cars can't go on it, then it can't be safe".
    I was jumping up and down in the middle of it trying to show her it was safe (I'm glad I had the camera so no photo record was made of THAT. )

But the glass floor things reminded me of that. She wouldn't go on the glass floor either I'm afraid.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My hometown is actually one of 4 cities called "The Shoals"...I consider them all my "hometown" though.....

This area is mainly known as a musical area....

*FAME recording studio is located here. It was opened in the 60's and has seen many famous people pass through to record and write songs here....the Stones, Paul Simon, Aretha Franklin, The Osmonds, Dylan, Rod Stewart to name a few....
    *Percy Sledge (famous for "When a Man Loves a Woman") is from here...
    *Angela and Zac Hacker-siblings who were Nashville Star's winner and runner up
    *Joy Spears-1st season contestant on SYTYCD
    *Bo Bice went to college here for a few semesters
    *Sam Phillips-founder of Sun Records (where Elvis first recorded)
    *WC Handy-Father of the Blues (there's a Handy Festival every year that lasts a week and there are many jazz artists who play at various events at restaurants around the Shoals)
    *Helen Keller was born here
    *Fred Thompson-running for President now but to me, more famous for being on Law & Order
    *NCAA Division 2 Championship Game is played here
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2738293;
    My hometown is actually one of 4 cities called "The Shoals"...I consider them all my "hometown" though.....

This area is mainly known as a musical area....

*FAME recording studio is located here. It was opened in the 60's and has seen many famous people pass through to record and write songs here....the Stones, Paul Simon, Aretha Franklin, The Osmonds, Dylan, Rod Stewart to name a few....
    *Percy Sledge (famous for "When a Man Loves a Woman") is from here...
    *Angela and Zac Hacker-siblings who were Nashville Star's winner and runner up
    *Joy Spears-1st season contestant on SYTYCD
    *Bo Bice went to college here for a few semesters
    *WC Handy-Father of the Blues (there's a Handy Festival every year that lasts a week and there are many jazz artists who play at various events at restaurants around the Shoals)
    *Helen Keller was born here
    *Fred Thompson-running for President now but to me, more famous for being on Law & Order
    *NCAA Division 2 Championship Game is played here
    When I first found out you were from there, the recording studio and the artists that have recorded there was the FIRST thing that came to my mind.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2737930;
    Thanks AJane. that would freak me out. The Space Needle in Seattle freaked me out riding up in the elevator.
    The CN Tower elevator really made my ears pop the other day.

You travel about 130 storeys in less than a minute.

TAR went to the CN during the family season, but they didn't have the teams go across the glass floor. I was a bit disappointed about that.

I agree with those who've said they enjoyed this thread
    "That's Numberwang!"

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Philipsburg, Pennsylvania is a tiny town in Central PA with a population of around 3,000.

What we are famous for:

The first mining lamp for use in underground mining was patented by Gill Manufacturing Co. of Philipsburg. This lamp used a wick and oil to illuminate the area underground.

St. Paul's Episcopal church in Philipsburg was the first church in the world to be lighted by electricity. It consisted of one large arc light, which later was removed because it made too much noise and people could not hear the service. This is on record at the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia.

In 1821, Mr. Philips built a screw factory for the manufacture of blunt metal screws. This was the first screw mill in the United States.

The first deliberately staged train wreck for silent movies was filmed in
    Philipsburg on the "Alley Popper" train line by the Lubin Film Company on December 8, 1914. One of the first motion pictures to use the scene was the "Valley of Lost Hope" but the wreck scene appeared in many movies.

Two doctors, McGirk and Richards, of Philipsburg, performed the first operation for appendicitis.

The first machineless permanent wave procedure was invented by a Philipsburg barber named Fred M. Winkel.

Philipsburg, PA: Historic Downtown Philipsburg: Philipsburg Firsts

Well, there you have it. I had no idea my little hick town had so much history! Yee haw!
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2737900;
    I could do it. I'd have to let the rational, logical side of my brain do the talking, and I couldn't allow myself to remember that the whole building was built by the low bidder, but I could do it.
    I have an incredible fear of falling. When I was pretty young my family went to St. Louis. I refused to go up in the Arch. My brother in law didn't want to go either, so he "volunteered" to stay with me at the bottom. I have regretted that since then. So I always make myself do those things that would be a once in a lifetime thing. I would go on that floor, probably with a knot in my stomach, but I would do it.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2738293;
    Sun Records was also where Johnny Cash got his start.

Very cool thread.

My home town Goliad, Texas - born and raised there.

History
    Goliad was part of the Spanish colony of New Spain, a Spanish fort was founded at an existing Aranama Native American village in response to French encroachment in Spanish claimed territory. The fort was called Presidio La Bahía del Espíritu Santo. A mission for the soldiers was built inside the presidio and was called our Lady of Loreto chapel.

Presidio La Bahia (Fort of the bay) was originally built near Lavaca Bay in 1721, but the site proved unsuitable. It was relocated in 1726 further inland near Victoria, Texas and finally at its present location in 1749. Although, it had moved inland, the fort was still responsible for the defense of the coastal areas and east Texas.

Franciscan priests also established the Mission of Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga outside the presidio to convert the local Karankawa Indians. The village of La Bahía grew under the protection of the presidio and the mission.

In 1829, the name of the village of La Bahía was changed to Goliad, an anagram of Hidalgo (omitting the silent initial "H"), in honor of the patriot priest Miguel Hidalgo, the father of Mexico's independence.

On October 9, 1835, a group of Texians attacked the presidio, defeated the Mexican garrison and took control of the fort. The first declaration of independence of the Republic of Texas was signed here on December 20, 1835.

On Palm Sunday, March 27, 1836, during the Texas Revolution, the Goliad massacre occurred here when General Antonio López de Santa Anna ordered the Mexican army to execute Colonel James Fannin and 341 of his men, who had surrendered after the Battle of Coleto.

Goliad was the birthplace of the famous Mexican General Ignacio Zaragoza.

On May 18, 1902, a devastating tornado struck Goliad, killing 114 persons. It is tied for the deadliest tornado in Texas history and the 10th deadliest in the United States.
    Last edited by PGM35; 01-03-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: To add this is in Texas

FORT Fogey

My hometown high school has graduated the following celebrities: Patricia Heaton, Rich Patrick (of the band Filter -- his brother Robert Patrick aka the bad Terminator graduated before the family moved there, but we claim him since he came home to visit a few times), and former Team USA soccer goalie Brad Friedel (okay, so he's not a big celebrity, but he was in school when I was, so I feel obligated to keep him on the list)

The town is probably most notable as the home of Sam and Marilyn Sheppard - the inspiration for The Fugitive. The house where Sam or the one-armed man murdered Marilyn is just a couple of blocks from where I grew up. I used to deliver papers to the house (different owners by then obviously) which totally scared me. Legend has it that there were still blood stains in the wood floor in the bedroom. The house was torn down several years ago and a new house was built on the property.

Elliot Ness also lived there (in the town, not in Sam's house) or something at some point in his life.

+ Reply to Thread