+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:

1. Cold winters.
    2. Really cold winters.
    3. REALLY, really cold winters.

*****long pause******

4. Canada's first gay mayor.
    5. The city name was mentioned in a Simpsons episode.
    6. Home of the Guess Who, Neil Young, and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, for my fellow classic rock fans

Did I mention the cold winters?

I'm kidding. I love my hometown. It's just too damn COLD there. A big hiya to everyone back home. :santawave
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Greenwich NY:
    (famous? nah, but truly beautiful. Quiet, and I like it that way. 20 minutes to Saratoga Springs NY, 30 minutes from Lake George and the Adirondack park)
    Called "the most extraodrinary, beautiful and architecturally intact villiage in all of Upstate NY"
    In the early days, the eastern tribe of the Iroquois used Greenwich as a hunting ground
    Settled in 1763 (well, apparently, except for the indians )
    Prior to the Civil War it was called "Union Village", and became a center of abolitionism - a hub of the Underground Railroad
    Nickname is "Whipple City" after one of its founders.
    Home of the Washington County Fair (NYS's largest agricultural fair)
    It is situated on the banks of the Batten Kill (nationally recognized trout stream)
    Home of Grandma Moses (artist)
    Childhood home of Chester A Arthur (former President)
    Birthplace of John L Beveridge (Gov of IL 1873-1877)
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Princeton, Indiana

We make Toyota Tundra pickup trucks in my Indiana hometown. Also, the county courthouse was the inspiration for the Department 56 courthouse, if anyone collects those. We have a couple of guys from Princeton in major league baseball right now, but I don't know what teams they play for. Gill Hodges grew up there, and the Little League field is named after him.

I guess that's all.

Oh, MarksLove, I've always loved Grandma Moses.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmoj
    Oh, MarksLove, I've always loved Grandma Moses.
    One of her relatives, Wil Moses (grandson maybe?) still works and paints in the area - silimar style paintings. You should check out his work.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I forgot to mention, we're the office furniture capital of the world. If you're in a cubicle right now, everything you're sitting in, have papers stacked on, or Dilbert cartoons pinned to was made here in Holland, Michigan. Haworth, Herman Miller, and Steelcase are all within 10 miles of here.

If you have a rearview mirror in your car that auto-dims, that's also from one of 4 companies in Holland that make them.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Stony Point, NY

Most famous for the Battle of Stony Point.

The British had captured the peninsula of Stony Point in May 1779, and began to fortify it by erecting an earthen fort and two barriers called abatis. Sir Henry Clinton garrisoned Stony Point and Verplanck's Point with about 1,000 men to protect the King's Ferry, which crossed the Hudson River between the two posts. Clinton then launched raids against Connecticut coastal towns, in a continuing attempt to lure Washington into battle.

General Washington devised a plan for Brigadier General Anthony Wayne and his Corps of Light Infantry to lead a surprise midnight assault against Stony Point. The heaviest fighting lasted half an hour, and by 1 a.m. the British garrison had surrendered. Three days later, Washington abandoned Stony Point because he knew it could not be defended against the combined might of the British army and navy centered just thirty miles downriver in New York City.

The victory at Stony Point was the last major battle in the north. Of the 11 decorations for bravery awarded by Congress during the Revolutionary War, three officers were presented with medals for their bravery in this battle. Clinton's plan to defeat the Continentals and end the war had failed.

The oldest lighthouse on the Hudson River, built on the grounds of Stony Point Battlefield in 1826, has guided vessels for nearly 100 years. Visitors to Stony Point Battlefield today can enter the recently restored and relighted lighthouse for a magnificent view of the Hudson Valley.

Hmmm... my birthplace of Frankenmuth, Michigan is famous for it's German heritage and it's fried chicken. Yummy.

My actual *hometown* is Clarkston, Michigan, and is probably only famous for being the most ignored/misnamed concert location. We have a big ampitheater, Pine Knob (oh crap.. it's the DTE Energy Theater, isnt it?), that has hosted most of the big concerts in the Detroit area for the past 30+ years, but on the back of all concert tshirts they credit the concert as being in Detroit. Bastards.

Pine Knob rocks. Did they change the name?

Heh... yes, about 5 years ago. I still can't get the hang of it. It will always be Pine Knob to me.

+ Reply to Thread