+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    I wasn't born here, but have lived in Perrysburg, Ohio for over 30 years.

A key War of 1812 fort is still here, well a rebuilt replica....... "The Site - Built in 1813 to defend the Ohio Country against British invasion, Fort Meigs constitutes the largest wooden walled fortification in North America. Today the fort stands rebuilt on its original location within a 65 acre wooded park. The ten acre fort is enclosed by a stockade wall and contains seven blockhouses, five cannon batteries, and numerous interior eight foot high earthworks." http://www.fortmeigs.org/
    If you watch the news tonight, you might catch a glimpse of Fort Meigs. President Bush is coming through this area and supposed to make an hour appearance at a rally inside the fort.

But we've had a lot of rain, 2 inches during a half hour period yesterday, more overnight and more forecast for today. We'll see.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Coming back to this thread after over a month has got me thinking. A Belfast woman recently won 20 million on the National lottery. She had nearly thrown away her ticket. That's the largest amount won by a single person in the ten years since the lottery started. She is suffering from cancer so I hope that her win will allow her to seek the best possible treatment available and she's just become a first time grandmother.

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK

My lovely borough has produced music superstars Christina Aguilera, Method Man, Eamon, and Frankee.

Though I like none of them, I'm proud.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

Sad, but true, my city is known for:

The murders of Laci & Conner Peterson.

The Murdered Washington, D.C. intern, Chandra Levy (she was from here)

The Carole, Julie Sund & Silvina Pelosso murders (known as the Yosemite Murders) - the search command center was here.

my town is known for the pottery and the fiesta ware....you know the stuff they sell in the stores? lol.....my town makes it....its cool cause we have an outlet where you can get the stuff real cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Roswellian4Life
    Sad, but true, my city is known for:

The murders of Laci & Conner Peterson.

The Murdered Washington, D.C. intern, Chandra Levy (she was from here)

The Carole, Julie Sund & Silvina Pelosso murders (known as the Yosemite Murders) - the search command center was here.
    Yeah it is quite sad that Modesto has had a lot of bad stuff happen to them recently! I live in San Francisco, and every day on the news they talk about the Scott Peterson trial.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I know of 2 comedians born here and the place is extremely rich. Jim Breuer and Fred Armison were born in Hewlett/Valley Stream, NY

Steve Martin graduated from my highschool a few years before me. He was very funny even then. He either worked at Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm while still in h.s. (can't remember which), and he basically started honing his craft at an early age. I remember his family painting a HUGE red tongue on their driveway (!).

My roommate and I were watching Johnny Carson sometime around 1975, and Steve Martin was on for the first time. He was prematurely grey, so I didn't recognize him at first. I kept thinking, I know that guy, but who is he? Finally dawned on me who he was, and I couldn't get over how funny he was, and was so thrilled for him that he had made it 'big'.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Probably a lot of things..........but most notably the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400 and that IROC thing. I personally don't enjoy racing, so it just amounts to a big fat traffic jam to me~ :phhht

My hometown is famously also home to Apple, Microsoft, Google and an onslaught of other computer corporations that make places like the FoRT possible.

My college town is famous for having what's considered the worst underage drinking problem in the entire United States. (Also #1 for binge drinking.) My university is arguably the biggest party school in the nation, and I think many students say this with pride.

+ Reply to Thread