+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Aren't you from Carmel, Jewelsy? You've got good ole' Clint E. to brag on. I parked in his parking space once. Well, I didn't get out of the car so I guess I paused in his parking space.
    Yeah, I'm from Carmel, but I don't know what it's "famous" for. I guess shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    Singapore (a country) too small, hence I'll just consider it at my Hometown , famous FOR:

1. Banning Chewing Gum
    2. World Largest Fountain *the fountain of wealth* (Guiness Record)
    3. Best Airport
    4. Cleanest Country (a few years ago, in the record)
    5. Chicken Rice (good local dish)
    6. Still does capital punishment "by hangings"
    7. Some schools still use the canning for punishment methods (but it's quite rare now)
    8. Good business Hub (internationally)
    9. Singapore aka Asia's port

All I can think of for now, might post some later (when they come to mind)
    To add on:

1. PLans to build the World Biggest Ferris Wheel (saw that in the News couple months ago) :rolleyes
    2. PLace where you can have old style stalls (like chinatown) right next to a skyscraper
    3. Presidents house is in the middle of Singapore's busy Shopping mall arena (but of course heavily guarded)
    4. Every man 18+ has to serve 2 years National Service (compulsary)
    5. "tipping" is rarely done, as when you go to restaurants the restaurant tips itself by adding a 10%-15% service charge
    6. Singapore reality tv, rips off American reality TV shows (Singapore Idol, Eye for A Guy (Singapore's version of the Bachloret), they also had a mini-version of The AMazing Race (except it's within Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl
    What is Thunder Bay known for? Hmmm I've lived here all my life and dug up these interesting facts.

1. We are home to the highest # of Finnish speaking people outside of Finland. (The Hoito Restaurant is famous for it's Finnish Pancakes)

2. Home to the largest Amethyst mine in North America

3. Also home to the world's largest snowmobile club (3000 + members)

4. The legend of the Sleeping Giant: www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=1474

5. Fort William Historical Park is the world's largest historical reconstruction (Fur trading post early 1800's)

6. Terry Fox ended his attempted cross Canada run just outside of the city, therefore we have a memorial on Hwy 11-17 in his memory. www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=1426

7. During the Queen's visit in 1973 our mayor caused a scandal by patting Queen Elizabeth on the fanny. Big no-no. :nono

8. Persians--a cinnamon bun with pink icing were invented here and are not available outside of Northwestern Ontario.

9. Robin's Donuts was founded here

10. And of course our best claim to fame is Paul Shaeffer. The Late Night with David Letterman band leader was born and raised here and even has a tiny strip of pavement named after him. (And I got his autograph on a napkin :rolleyes )

11. Oh and David James Elliott's (JAG) wife is from here as well. They come back for summer vacations and support the local major theatre company.

Here's a pic of the famous Persians--yum yum!

Junkiegirl, I do hope Queen Elizabeth (god bless her) isn't a member of this site. "Fanny" has a COMPLETELY different meaning in Britain!

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    To add on:

1. PLans to build the World Biggest Ferris Wheel (saw that in the News couple months ago) :rolleyes
    2. PLace where you can have old style stalls (like chinatown) right next to a skyscraper
    3. Presidents house is in the middle of Singapore's busy Shopping mall arena (but of course heavily guarded)
    4. Every man 18+ has to serve 2 years National Service (compulsary)
    5. "tipping" is rarely done, as when you go to restaurants the restaurant tips itself by adding a 10%-15% service charge
    6. Singapore reality tv, rips off American reality TV shows (Singapore Idol, Eye for A Guy (Singapore's version of the Bachloret), they also had a mini-version of The AMazing Race (except it's within Singapore)
    Singapore Add on:
    1. Possibly the best Satay ever. You don't need to go above the food courts to get superior satay.
    2. Only place in the world where the government set up places for people to have sex in their cars.
    READ THE ALL NEW AMAZING [STORY]RACE! (CLICK)
    "Good Morning Super Nintendo Chalmers!"-Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons.

FORT Fogey
    Hamilton, Ontario.
    Tim Hortons. And they're taking over the world!

That and Marty Short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Yeah, I'm from Carmel, but I don't know what it's "famous" for. I guess shopping.
    Pebble Beach, art galleries, not to mention just being a wonderfully beautiful stretch of coastline.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AR Boy
    Singapore Add on:
    1. Possibly the best Satay ever. You don't need to go above the food courts to get superior satay.
    2. Only place in the world where the government set up places for people to have sex in their cars.
    YEs... Satay! *YUM* as for #2, that's the first time I hear that
    AH yes, Singapore has it's own umm "dark neighbourhood" -- any Singaporean if you say "Geylang" -- it's the "dark-side of Singapore" -

BUt yes #2, is a prime example of the governmnet being very over-powering. Singapore has a ton of laws for everything and anything!

Belfastgirl... now I'm dying to know what 'fanny' means in Britian. In Canada it just means her behind.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    my hometown of Montreal, Canada is famous for many things. Here's a few

The Montreal Canadiens
    The Old Port
    Cold Winters
    Just For Laughs festival
    The Montreal Expos (LOL, LOL)
    What can I add to Eva's list?

Birthplace of William Shatner
    Jazz Festival (one of the best in the world)
    Smoked meat
    Bagels
    One of the Formula 1 race sites

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Belfastgirl... now I'm dying to know what 'fanny' means in Britian. In Canada it just means her behind.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe it means the "front" side instead of the behind. Some friends were over there a few years back and were laughed at for talking about their "fanny" packs there were carrying.

+ Reply to Thread