+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

um
    Sara Racey Tabrizi and Jenascia Chakos from America's Next Top Model season two
    Leah from American Idol season three
    Space Needle
    Gary Ridgeway*bad one
    TEd Bundy i think but not sure** bad one

My birthplace of Melbourne, FL
    ~isn't known for a whole lot.....it is however the birthplace of Jim Morrison, and my mother went to high school with him actually.

My current hometown of Orlando, FL
    ~is famous mostly for the tourist industry being home to Universal Studios, Disney, and Sea World (along with many other smaller attractions).
    ~It's also considered home to N'Sync, O-Town, and Backstreet Boys courtesy of Lou Pearlman. Wesley Snipes was born here as well and Wayne Brady is from here...we also get to claim CarrotTop (or maybe I shouldn't be admitting that )....and a pretty good handfull of pro wrestlers. Oh yeah, and Nina Diva from WB Superstar
    ~Sports in Orlando are pretty limited with our best known teams being the Magic (NBA) and Predators (AFL). We also host the Citrus Bowl and Capitol One Bowl games.
    ~One of our old buildings downtown was the circular one blown up at the beginning of Lethal Weapon (3rd or 4th one....my memory is escaping me, sorry!).
    ~The only movies I know off the top of my head that were filmed here were The Waterboy and parts of Monster. There are probably plenty more, but my searches are coming up short on them tonight...but Universal's presence here in town keeps movie and tv stuff going pretty well.
    ~We're also home to the University of Central Florida

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    I'll add to what Clipse and Matt wrote..

-some of the loosest Marijuana enforcement in North America

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
    I'll add to what Clipse and Matt wrote..

-some of the loosest Marijuana enforcement in North America
    Its so easy to get pot out here. I have never smoked it but if I ever wanted to I would know exactly where to go or who to go to. I also know where about 3 grow ops are. When I was 14 I had a paper route and 6 houses on my route were raided because they were grow ops. Oh yeah...Come to B.C.!

My hometown is famous for:

-Chicken Wings
    -Snow
    -4-time Super Bowl losing Buffalo Bills
    -the Goo Goo Dolls
    -American Idol's John Stevens
    -NBC's Tim Russert
    -Niagara Falls (well, its 20 minutes from downtown)
    -Did I mention snow?? That seems to be the thing we get the most attention for

Quote Originally Posted by BfloChick48
    My hometown is famous for:

-Chicken Wings
    -Snow
    -4-time Super Bowl losing Buffalo Bills
    -the Goo Goo Dolls
    -American Idol's John Stevens
    -NBC's Tim Russert
    -Niagara Falls (well, its 20 minutes from downtown)
    -Did I mention snow?? That seems to be the thing we get the most attention for
    This is a really stupid question, but just thinking about John Stevens. Is red hair common in N.America? I read somewhere recently of a woman undergoing fertility treatment who rejected sperm donors with red hair because "she didn't want to inflict it on her child." Sounds ridiculous to me. I think Scotland and Ireland have the biggest percentage of people with red hair. It's certainly not anything that's really commented on.

Red hair isn't uncommon here, BelfastGirl. It's not rare, but also not something every other person has. I'd guess a lot of our redheads have Scottish and Irish ancestors.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Is there a website I can visit, plug in my hometown, and they'll spit out all the cool things it's famous for?

Aren't you from Carmel, Jewelsy? You've got good ole' Clint E. to brag on. I parked in his parking space once. Well, I didn't get out of the car so I guess I paused in his parking space.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    What is Thunder Bay known for? Hmmm I've lived here all my life and dug up these interesting facts.

1. We are home to the highest # of Finnish speaking people outside of Finland. (The Hoito Restaurant is famous for it's Finnish Pancakes)

2. Home to the largest Amethyst mine in North America

3. Also home to the world's largest snowmobile club (3000 + members)

4. The legend of the Sleeping Giant: www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=1474

5. Fort William Historical Park is the world's largest historical reconstruction (Fur trading post early 1800's)

6. Terry Fox ended his attempted cross Canada run just outside of the city, therefore we have a memorial on Hwy 11-17 in his memory. www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=1426

7. During the Queen's visit in 1973 our mayor caused a scandal by patting Queen Elizabeth on the fanny. Big no-no. :nono

8. Persians--a cinnamon bun with pink icing were invented here and are not available outside of Northwestern Ontario.

9. Robin's Donuts was founded here

10. And of course our best claim to fame is Paul Shaeffer. The Late Night with David Letterman band leader was born and raised here and even has a tiny strip of pavement named after him. (And I got his autograph on a napkin :rolleyes )

11. Oh and David James Elliott's (JAG) wife is from here as well. They come back for summer vacations and support the local major theatre company.

Here's a pic of the famous Persians--yum yum!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread