+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your home town famous for?

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    My birthplace and hometown of Tupelo, Mississippi is probably most famous for being the birthplace of Elvis Presley.

Here is a link to our town's homepage and description of his park and museum:

http://www.tupelo.net/things-to-do/birthplace-elvis.asp

My home state of Mississippi is also famous for blues music, southern hospitality, and has produced many famous writers, musicians, and other talented people. Here is just a small list of people who have called Mississippi home:

Famous Mississippians

Lance Bass singer, Laurel
    Jimmy Buffett singer, songwriter, Pascagoula
    Bo Diddley guitarist, McCombs
    Charles Evers civil rights leader, Decatur
    Medgar Evers civil rights leader, Decatur
    Brett Farve football, Kiln
    William Cuthbert Faulkner author, New Albany
    Shelby Foote historian, Greenville
    Richard Ford author, Jackson
    Barry Hannah author, Clinton
    Beth Henley playwright, actress, Jackson
    Jim Henson puppeteer, Greenville
    Faith Hill singer, Jackson
    James Earl Jones entertainer, Arkabutla
    B. B. King guitarist, Itta Bena
    Willie Morris writer, Jackson
    Walter Payton football player, Columbia
    Elvis Presley singer, actor, Tupelo
    Charley Pride country singer, Sledge
    Leontyne Price soprano, Laurel
    William Raspberry columnist, Oklaona
    Jerry Rice football player, Starkville
    LeAnn Rimes country music, Jackson
    Jimmie Rodgers, Meridian
    William Grant Still composer, Woodville
    Conway Twitty country music, Friars Point
    Sela Ward actress, Meridian
    Muddy Waters singer, guitarist, Rolling Fork
    Eudora Welty author, Jackson
    Tennessee Williams playwright, Columbus
    Oprah Winfrey talk-show host, Kosciusko
    Richard Wright author, Natchez
    Tammy Wynette country music star, Tupelo

Y'all come see us when you can!
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

aifan4life. I've heard of Dollywood. Graham Norton did a show from Dollywood with Dolly herself and it was really good. Think you can see Graham in the US on Comedy Central and BBC America. If my memory serves me correctly, Dollywood is in a dry county. Is that true? They don't exist in Britain or Ireland.

My hometown is Cresco, Iowa.

Famous for being the hometown of Norman Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for his fight against world hunger.

Also the hometown of Ellen Church who was the worlds first flight attendant.

Home of 5 admirals (according to the sign on the edge of town) and also the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Not very exciting I guess, but a nice place to live and raise a family.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mstvfan
    My birthplace and hometown of Tupelo, Mississippi is probably most famous for being the birthplace of Elvis Presley.
    That's so cool, mstvfan! In June you have an annual Elvis festival?? I wanted to go to Graceland ever since I heard of it...now I want to stop by in Tupelo too! Gee, I haven't convinced any of my family to go to Graceland (they say I am showing my age and corny-ness :phhht )...but I bet they'd agree to going to Tupelo!
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Fort Member
    Home town: Ocean Grove, Victoria, Australia
    Ummm, not famous for anything at all really
    Its ten minutes from Bell's Beach where the Easter surfing championships is held
    Its fifteen minutes to Torquay where Paul a contestant in the current Australian Big Brother is from
    Just a few minutes away from that is the Giant Coke Bottle
    Oh and the wind turbines and a rock formation we call King Kongs balls
    I am really streatching it. Honestly not much famous about it all

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    If my memory serves me correctly, Dollywood is in a dry county.
    Jack Daniels distillery is located in a dry county in Lynchburg TN.

FORT Fogey

Natick, Massachusetts

My hometown (where I was raised) is Natick, Massachusetts.

Natick native Henry Wilson, became Vice President of the United States, serving with Ulysses S. Grant. Other notable historic figures include Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Horatio Alger, Jr., minister and children’s book author.

Natick's home to "Natick Labs," a/k/a the U.S. Army Soldier Systems Center, which is the Army’s one-stop soldier-support organization. The lab is responsible for researching, developing, fielding, and managing food, clothing, shelters, airdrop systems and soldier support items. The most famous item invented at Natick Labs is TANG, that orange powder that we all love to mix with water and drink right down!

More than anything, though, Natick is the hometown of DOUG FLUTIE, who not only was raised there but still lives there. He is often seen out and about the town. Not only did I grow up in the same town as Doug Flutie, but I was in his high school class, too, so I knew him for many years. He's a really good guy; he always was, too.

In case you think I'm joking about knowing him, you can know for sure by listening to him VERY CLOSELY the next time he's interviewed after a football game. You'll probably hear him bragging about knowing me, and saying things like, "I know WickedGood, I was in the same high school class as WickedGood."

Yeah, Doug brags all the time about knowing me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Dollywood is in a dry county. Is that true? They don't exist in Britain or Ireland.
    Not really a dry county, actually they've received a lot of rain recently.. but its in Sevier county TN, and I live in Jefferson County, so I'm not too sure how dry.
    ~*Tennessee Sweetheart*~

"Dry county" = no selling alcohol.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    :rolleyes
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    That's so cool, mstvfan! In June you have an annual Elvis festival?? I wanted to go to Graceland ever since I heard of it...now I want to stop by in Tupelo too! Gee, I haven't convinced any of my family to go to Graceland (they say I am showing my age and corny-ness :phhht )...but I bet they'd agree to going to Tupelo!
    That's right, we now have an annual Elvis Festival. I didn't get to go this year, but I think it went well. It started about six years ago, and I believe that it is catching on.

A lot of the Elvis fans who visit tend to combine a trip to both Tupelo and Memphis. Our part of the tour is probably more laid back, being that it's a small town atmosphere vs. the big city feel of Memphis. I think you get a more well rounded perspective of his background by visiting both locations.

Here in Tupelo, you can see his boyhood home, which is all of two rooms and a porch, his park, a chapel, and a museum. You can also visit the hardware store where he purchased his first guitar, his elementary school, and other landmarks. I also recommend a visit to our local public library (Lee County Library). In their Mississippi Room, there are many books, clipping files, and other resource materials of interest.

We also have a new automobile museum, a Tupelo museum, and there are campgrounds available at Elvis Presley Lake, Tombigbee State Park, or Trace Lake. Also lots of new hotels and restaurants are nearby for those who prefer less woodsy vacations.

We also are home to the Natchez Trace Parkway Headquarters and Visitor center. Here is a link to their site... http://www.nps.gov/natr/pphtml/facilities.html

The nice thing about combining a visit to Tupelo with a visit to Memphis is that once you've relaxed here, you can then take in the bluesy atmosphere down on Beale street, get a cheesy dose of big E at Graceland, tour Sun Studios, and take a dinner cruise on the Mississippi River. I've even gone to Memphis to visit their zoo and their very nice Museum of Art and also the Pink Palace-a cool science/history museum complete with an IMAX theater.

Tupelo and Memphis are about 70 miles apart and only a little over an hour's drive from one another, but you would probably want to plan at least a three or four day vacation in order to see everything at a relaxing pace.

I can relate to your family's reluctance to get fired up about a "very Elvis vacation." We've found that many folks who visit, or even the ones who live here, either love him or can't stand him. I think that probably could be said for any famous person from any given town. I like his music and appreciate blues, gospel music, country, and rock, so he's fine by me---except for that whacked out druggy portion of his life. He was basically a good guy who ventured down a path of self destruction. Oh well, we can all learn valuable lessons from that. :rolleyes

Even if they don't want to visit the Elvis landmarks, I'm sure they will enjoy the friendly hospitality, great local food, and lovely scenery of the south. Hope to see you here sometime!

Here is a link if you want to know more about the Elvis Festival. In the search box, type Elvis Festival.

http://www.djournal.com/tools/search.asp
    Last edited by mstvfan; 06-28-2004 at 01:51 AM.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

+ Reply to Thread