+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plans for 4th of July?

Plans for 4th of July?

Anyone have plans for 4th of July? We used to go to the fireworks show, but it's gotten crazy busy the last few years, and it's just not fun any more (here, they fire them off a barge in the middle of one of our lakes, so you can see them from one of several lakeside parks, but they're ALL packed).

I bought some fireworks in Indiana, and will probably just shoot those off here at home instead.

We have a few really nice state parks in the area, so we'll head to one (Greenbo State Park) cook a few steaks, and get sunburned tooling around the boat fishing for bluegills. Good times
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Hey, we talked about either going to Greenbo or King's Island, Texi. I'll let you know if Mom and my sister decide they want to go to the lake.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, that sounds great! Drop me a PM if you decide on the lake
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'll have to live vicariously through everybody's plans. I had been out of the country the last five 4th of July's and as luck will have it, this time I'll be layed up on the couch loaded with Percocets. On second thought, watching the fireworks on t.v., should make things real groovy, baby.

p.s. John, can you get the good stuff, or are you stuck with bottle rockets and exploding snakes?
    Last edited by speedbump; 06-22-2004 at 11:40 AM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well, I'm going to DC for the our seasonly visit, so we're going to be on Capital Hill for the festivities. Well, we'll be watching them from a TV on Capital Hill, but that's almost the same, right? Before those start, though, there's usually a little family fireworks show, so I'll set off some fireworks, and I hopefully won't start any fires...

Our small town combines with the small town across the Maumee River and shoots off fireworks from a barge on the 3rd. The neatest place to watch it from is Fort Meigs, a War of 1812 reconstructed fort, but like John's parks, always packed. Fortunately, my husband's work is about 1/2 mile from the river, so we go there and watch from the front lawn. My FIL is the owner, so that's okay.

The 4th being on a Sunday, our church is having a big potluck/cookout at noon. (We need a fat smilie. )
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Well, there are virtually no legal firework zones left around here, so we are hosting a pool party & potluck barbecue for all our friends that night. We're doing it potluck because we're basically the only ones of our friends with a house so we "get stuck" hosting all the parties... we eventually started making most of our parties pot luck so we wouldn't have to buy everyone food ever time (not to be cheap, but we figured we never mind bringing stuff to other people's parties so why not.... :-)) We did it this way last year, everyone had a good time & ate and swam all night.

The highschool in this city usually puts on a spectacular fireworks show, and we can kind of see it from the house if everyone's sober enough still .... (I think most people missed it last year... lol)

Fireworks or not though, I love the 4th... =D
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by Boredom
    Well, I'm going to DC for the our seasonly visit, so we're going to be on Capital Hill for the festivities. Well, we'll be watching them from a TV on Capital Hill, but that's almost the same, right? Before those start, though, there's usually a little family fireworks show, so I'll set off some fireworks, and I hopefully won't start any fires...
    I used to go to The Mall in DC every 4th when I was down there for college. We used to make a day of it. I hope you have fun!

I don't have any plans yet. We've gone downtown before to listen to the Boston Pops and see the fireworks but it's always so busy. We'll see. . .
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    we eventually started making most of our parties pot luck so we wouldn't have to buy everyone food ever time (not to be cheap, but we figured we never mind bringing stuff to other people's parties so why not.... :-))
    Then I must have cheap friends, as those are the only kinds of parties we have. Pot luck all the way!!<----*could be turned into chant*

I always bring buns. I'm all about the bun.

No concrete July 4th plans yet. I enjoy spending part of them in a darkened theater. And at some point in the day, will probably witness my nieces and nephews smack each other senseless with windmill-like arms after cap gun play goes wrong.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast