+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I spilled soy latte on my laptop!

HELP! I spilled soy latte on my laptop!

If this needs to be merged with the computer help thread, so be it...but I wanted someone to notice my dire need for assistance.

I spilled an entire soy latte on my other laptop. I took the keypad off and ran it under water, figuring if the soy didn't ruin it yet, it would when it dried and that the water couldn't possibly hurt. It doesn't look like very much liquid got on the electronics inside the computer.

Did I completely ruin my machine? I got a big ole error message that said something about a hardware failure as soon as I spilled, but I really didn't read it; my first reaction was to unplug and turn the over!!!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I honestly can't think of anything that you can do if it's saying 'hardware error'. It might be fixable by professionals, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was messed up forever. Depends on how much latte got in it, I guess

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her laptop (well, it was coffee...) and her keyboard stopped working. She was able to hook up another keyboard to it and now it works just fine. Good luck!
    "I'm very tired of thinking. It doesn't seem to help very much."
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Boredom
    I honestly can't think of anything that you can do if it's saying 'hardware error'. It might be fixable by professionals, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was messed up forever. Depends on how much latte got in it, I guess
    The whole entire venti latte...and the soy is SO sticky...ugh. I KNEW I should've left the plastic lid on.

Hopefully it's just the keyboard, like ChiChiGirl said. I can always order a new keypad if that's the case.

Anytime you are cleaning stuff like that, you might want to consider using alcohol instead of water. It will ensure that all of it evaporates. Just make sure you don't try to put it back together or turn it on until you give it plenty of time to dry out. I hope it starts working again.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you spilled on your keyboard and received a hardware failure message on your computer, what are you working on now?

If you're able to work on the computer that suffered the accident, you're probably okay. I couldn't see a wrecked keyboard (even if it's totally gone) wrecking your computer.

You may be looking at a new keyboard, though, or at the very least, a very sticky one!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you spilled on your keyboard and received a hardware failure message on your computer, what are you working on now?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    I spilled an entire soy latte on my other laptop.
    I am on my work laptop right now. I spilled on my home laptop.

If this was a regular keyboard, I'd just slap it in the dishwasher. I don't want my entire laptop ruined because of this - if this keyboard doesn't work after it dries a day or two, I'll try and find a new keyboard. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    I am on my work laptop right now. I spilled on my home laptop.

If this was a regular keyboard, I'd just slap it in the dishwasher. I don't want my entire laptop ruined because of this - if this keyboard doesn't work after it dries a day or two, I'll try and find a new keyboard. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm SOL.
    :beat his forehead with his fist

Right, sorry. I should have read more closely about how this is a laptop. Of course that would be more serious than spilling on some keyboard that doesn't cover your computer's brains.

First thing I would do is keep it turned upside-down to let any liquid drain.

One thing you could do is lift the keyboard, but this can be tricky. Make sure it's unplugged, and look for a series of little tabs that "lock" your keyboard in place. Unlock the tabs and lift the keyboard. Blot dry what's underneath.

If you feel more comfortable with a professional having a look at it, bring it to your local computer shop and describe exactly what happened. They may be able to do nothing, or they simply may do what I suggested. And maybe they have some tricks I don't know.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to have a dead PC. The good news is that a computer shop may be able to salvage all or most of the contents of your laptop's hard disk.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Try this article, GG:

http://www.fidtitle.addr.com/sept__'02_tools.htm

Some sensible advice that I think may work. Again, good luck!

I took the keypad off and ran it under warm water for a while to get all the soy out. I figured if the latte didn't ruin it yet, the water couldn't possibly hurt anymore. If it doesn't work in a day or two, I'll see about finding a new keyboard on eBay and try it. All least it will be a cheap solution and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

It doesn't look like the unit itself has much liquid on the electronic components inside, but when I turn it on, only the fan works so far. Maybe it just needs to recover a bit.

I guess all I can do is wait and see. I just hate using my work laptop for personal stuff. I have to be too careful what I say and do.

ETA: Thanks so much you guys...I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast