+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: REAL PET..peeves?

REAL PET..peeves?

I could not find a thread about this so here goes...

Did anybody here ever get a pet they did not want ?

Grandpa went out and bought the kiddies TWO hampsters (teddybear) and assumed that everyone else would love to smell po*p..and clean the cage(he did not buy a cage either. He thought that because they had an old aquarium around that someone (ME) would not mind cleaning that .
    He hid them from me until the B-DAY party (grandaughter 9 years old) because he KNEW!!! :phhht
    :

I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens!

Ugh! How annoying. My sympathies to you, WP. I guess you can't exactly take them away at this point...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

NO!! I can't.I don't even know if you leave food in the cage all the time ...or just put it in at the time they wake.(Which is at night when they travel on the wheel ALLLLL night!)
    :

You can leave the food in there all the time, I went through at least one of every kind of pet when I was a kid. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll turn out that hamsters have a pretty short lifespan
    So what about this? Last week my fella said he had caught a great big kingsnake and was going to give it to one of his coworkers that's crazy about reptiles. Well, I used to be really into 'em too, so I told him to put it in a pillowcase and bring it over for me to check out, so he did. I played with the snake a while, and put it back in the bag. So, the next morning we get up and, guess what? No snake; upon examination there was a small hole in the seam of the pillowcase that we missed. Searched the house, no luck. I'm not afraid of the snake, but I hope it can find its way back outside before it starves to death; this guy was 5 feet long , and if he dies in the house...p-u! I don't even want to think about it.
    Last edited by queenb; 06-17-2004 at 09:48 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Yeah 2 years...Oh boy ! Dealing with death too! Grandson is 4 years old !!!
    :

Waypast40, that's a shame. Pets should NEVER be given as gifts, and certainly never without parental permission. That's extremely rude.

Personally, I would make Grandpa take the hamsters (you can give him the cage if you want), and tell the children that they can see them when they visit.

Yeah ...but I am grandma...I don't want to take them home either..It is bad enough that I do the cleaning at my daughter's house!!
    :

Ah, sorry wp40, I thought you were the daughter, and your dad was the one who bought the hamsters.

I'm not sure what advice to give you, other than having a serious talk with your husband about not buying animals as gifts. Humane societies are overrun with dogs and cats purchased for others as gifts - when will people learn that it's not cool to do. You wouldn't drop off a child and say "hey, I know you like kids, so I picked one up for you. I think you'll like him!"

You are so right. That's why he hid them fom me...I would have made him take them back ....and he knew that!!
    He was talking of puppies just last week and I told him to FORGET ABOUT IT!P.S...He spoils them rotten..I think it could have been a plan!
    :

FORT Fogey
    Did I read correctly in your post that you have them in an aquarium? If so, that could be part of the odor problem. Aquariums are designed to be not only water but also air tight - except for the top of course - and depending on what sort of lid you are using, all of the odor, the smell of urine, feces, just sits there stewing, waiting to be released into the room.

I know the last thing you want right now is another headache and/or expense, but a regular bar cage or plastic "habbitrail" type of cage is designed for mamals and would help out in so many ways.

They have top and side ventilation, they breath, allow the air to be moved more freely. If you change the cedar chips enough, this type of cage can litterally act as a pot-pourri and make the room smell better. Plus a regular cage is better for the animals as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast