+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REAL PET..peeves?

Hamsters live between 3-4 years usually, and they are pretty low maintanance as far as pets are concerned. Have a proper cage for them, a gravity water bottle, some cedar shavings as bedding (changed out once a week) and some commercial hamster food available all the time.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    You might also want to ask grandpa if he had them sexed before he left the store...hamsters can be quite prolific...if he purchased a Mike & Carol you may soon have a Brady Bunch on your hands.

Believe it or not hamsters can be potty trained.

I have a very sensitive nose and finally allowed my kids to adopt a hamster from our neighbors who run a hamster rescue. Most shelters won't accept small "pocket pets", but that is a whole nother story. http://www.chekal.com/m-main.html

I found two different brands of hamster potties at a large pet supply store. (I think one brand was Habitrail.) You then fill it with a fine litter and empty it every few days. Because hamster tend to use the same corner to potty, figure out which one it likes and put the potty there. We've had two hamsters and both started using it within a couple of days.

Our set up is an aquarium, with LOTS of Carefresh bedding (no odor there either) and the potty in one corner. We have a glass custard cup for the food and a water bottle that hangs over the side.

And about the two hamsters, grown up hamsters are solitary and should be kept separate or they will fight, sometimes to the death, especially males. Pet stores are notoriously bad for "sexing" hamsters and although they may have assured Grandpa that they were both females or both males, don't be surprised by little pink peanut sized babies.

One of the best sites I know of for hamster care is http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters.asp There is almost an overwhelming amount of information on it.

Good luck!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

WP, on that pebwebsite, "teddybears" are known as "syrians".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    You might also want to ask grandpa if he had them sexed before he left the store...hamsters can be quite prolific...if he purchased a Mike & Carol you may soon have a Brady Bunch on your hands.
    I dunno, one of my girlfriends kid's had a *Mike and Mike* and one of them...well, no way to put this delicately, I guess...devoured the other one. Literally. *shudder*

I don't like rodents...period.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I dunno, one of my girlfriends kid's had a *Mike and Mike* and one of them...well, no way to put this delicately, I guess...devoured the other one. Literally. *shudder*

At first glance I thought that you said that Mike "discovered" the other Mike and I was going to ask you if they ran off to Maine and opened a Bed & Breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Me neither. If anyone ever gave me one, they would be in trouble.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

HaHa...I can see by their wide ends that they both appear to be male...I gave my daughter money and she bought 2 habitrols or trails ..with wheels and a bunk(they seem to thunk this is the toilet. I use pine bedding as I and my daughter are allergic to cedar.I also put the feed in custard dishes.
    I must admit that the aquarium was easy to clean...I just dumped the stuff and washed it out with Oxyclean soap.I am not sure about the cages ,I have to see next week. I put cut ends of kleenex boxes for hiding and shredded paper for nesting.(I think half the smell was the cedar that HE bought..it makes me sick....he did not read about them and did not know that it can cause respiratory probs in hampsters AND humans who are allergic.)
    Last edited by waypast40; 06-17-2004 at 01:27 PM.
    :

I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens!

LOL Waypast you sound just a tiny bit bitter lol. Darned grandpas.. they willl never learn!

My brother did about the same thing to me on my kiddo's 3rd bday. He showed up with a goldfish.. but he also came with aquarium, food and water ager so it wasn't as bad as it could have been .. I researched goldfish care on the internet and it's been pretty easy. The fish is alive and well (she turned 1 March 8th.. who knows hold old she really is and what sex she is, she's not big enough to tell yet)
    but here's the thing..
    Who is taking care of my kiddo's bday present?? ME thats who. She feeds it (with reminders) but I get to take care of the water and tank and all of that good stuff and now we are getting ready to go out of town for 2 weeks and I don't want to leave the fish in a hot house all alone so now I have to find Goldfish Daycare for her.. I'm thinking I should send the her back to the brother who gifted her in the first place
    Payback can be satisfying.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Had the fish...still have the aquarium!!!Kids love to feed them and the water was near black every week.GUESS who had to clean the tank?????
    :

I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast