+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 107 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: drinks and keyboards

There are some things you can do. You should shut down your computer before doing them however. Then, if your keyboard has a plug, unplug it from the outlet.

First thing to try is a can of compressed air to remove most of the dust and grime. What I do after that is to use a small think screw driver or knife to pry the keys off. I put all the loose keys in a cup or mug or anyplace where you won't lose them. Then you can mix a little water and isopropyl alcohol and use a damp cloth or moistened q-tips to clean beneath the uncovered keys. You can even mix a mild dish detergent with water and soak the unplugged keys in it. Worst case scenario is to unscrew the back of your keyboard and use a microfiber cloth dipped in alcohol to clean the inside, keeping away form the circuitry.

Most important of all is to make sure everything is completely dry before you put the back on or replace the keys. I've done all of the above at one time or another without any harm.

Again, just make sure you shut down the computer, unplug everything before cleaning, and don't put anything back together or restart until completely dry.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Computer help desk

Does anyone know why your Back button may only work on certain links? Sometimes it goes back and brings me back to the boards, but other times, nothing happens, so I cancel out of the link I went to, but it not only cancels me out of the link I went to but also away from FORT. Then I have to start over to get back to FORT. It's getting more frequent lately.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

To the right of the Back button is a down arrow. Click on that and it will show the most recent pages you've been to. You can select a page you want to go back to that way if the Back button isn't working. That tip is also helpful for going several items back so you don't have to keep hitting the Back button multiple times.

I searched for reasons why the Back button doesn't always work and here's what one site had to say:

Why does my Internet back button sometimes not work?

A new window or tab was opened
    When browsing the Internet, some pages may open a link to a new window or tab. When this occurs, all your previous search history will not move over to the new window. You can determine if this is the cause of your issue by looking at the color of your back button. If the back button is gray or not highlighted, it's more than likely that you're in a new window. To get back to your previous window, close the browser window you're currently in.

A web page automatically forwarded you to an alternate page
    Often, this issue is caused when the web page you're visiting has automatically forwarded you to a different page or new page. When this occurs, if you press the back button, you're sent back to the page that re-directed you to the new page that forwards you back to where you just came from.

To resolve this issue, you can try one or more of the below solutions.

1.Press and hold down the mouse button on the back button.
    2.Press the back button two or more times quickly, this will almost always get you back to a previous page. If this makes you go back too far, go forward.
    3.Most new browsers have a small down arrow next to the back button (as shown below). Pressing this button displays the last few pages you have recently visited. Once this list is displayed, you can select the page you want to go back to.

Other script preventing you from going back
    There are scripts that can be used maliciously to prevent you from going back; when these pages are encountered, usually one of the above two recommendations allow you to get back. However, if you find neither of these solutions allowing you to get back, we suggest you close all your browser windows and start over.
    Last edited by pikachu; 04-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Does anyone know how to get your laptop to reveal your passwords? I'm on what I call my crazy laptop and I've purchases a new one that I will be switching over to. I want to get my passwords, which I have saved on this laptop, but since it's an automatic thing that kicks in when you go to the site, I'm not sure how to get them spelled out. Any suggestions?

Oh, I do have the one for FORT safely tucked away. lol

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I think it would depend on what browser you're using. If you go to Google and type in something like "show autosaved passwords for firefox" there's info.

I keep mine on a password-protected Word document . . . several pages long. LOL.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

Well, there are some instructions on it, but they are over my head. I tried going to the site, highlighting the password, right clicking on Element, then what? A bunch of screens appear and it's confusing as to where to go then then. ?? I'll keep trying, though. THANKS AZ.
    AZChristian likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I keep my passwords on a Word document, too. I have so many sites I visit on a regular basis plus tons that I've signed up for and only visit once in a blue moon so if I didn't have my list available for reference, I would have a heck of a time remembering all those passwords!

One thing you might want to do before migrating to this new computer, Debb, is go to the sites where you have to use a password and make sure your email address is current. If you're going to be getting a new email address when you switch computers, sign up for a free email account (gmail, hotmail, etc). Then, when you log in from your new computer for the first time, if you have to, you can choose the option that you forgot your password and have a temporary password sent to you so you can reset yours.

It won't help to do the password reset thing if the email is sent to an account you no longer use.
    AZChristian and Debb70 like this.
    Current Pools: Big Brother 17, Masterchef 6, So You Think You Can Dance 12
    Upcoming Pools: America's Got Talent 10, Face Off 9, Project Runway 14
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Wise words, Pik. We just went through that when we moved in October. What a mess!!!
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

Good idea. I'm considering switching email addresses. I have to arrange the timing or it could be a big problem.

If you use Firefox, download Password Exporter.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread