+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4686878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Does anyone know much about Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? I have Windows XP and it is phasing out in April 2014. I have to switch. I've heard that even though Windows 7 is older, it's better than Windows 8. Anyone have any experience? Most of the people at my office have XP too and they are in the same boat.
    My old dinosaur computer that I've had for 14 years has Windows ME. Yes, there really was such a thing. It's been unbelievably slow & had trouble with graphics, especially moving ones, for a long time. But the old thing just kept doing what it had to do untill this past Summer/Early Fall. It was a tough old bird. Then it got a Fatal Error every time I went on the Internet. Good for e-mail only.
    My better computer has Windows XP. It's now having problems too. Slow & not agreeable with a lot of sites.
    I felt it was time for an upgrade.

New computer just showed up. It has Windows 8, or 8.1, not sure. I have no idea what to do with the thing! It's totally unlike anything I've ever seen. It's going to be like completely re-learning computers. I'm also changing Internet Providers, so I won't be using it 'till the change over. Right now it's at my techie-guy friend's house getting set up & loaded. He's confused by it too. I've sat down with it a few times & am totally confused, but getting better.
    A lot of people are avoiding it because of the drastic difference. I mean DRASTIC!

The way I figured, if I hang onto a computer for 14 years, I'd might as well get the modern Windows. I guess it's trial-by-fire.
    I'm no spring chicken, so change isn't always my friend, but I figure I have to. Ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Thanks Miss Scarlet. You are confirming the horror stories I have read about. That's why I'm trying to find Windows 7. My computer is vital to my practice. I can't afford any down time. I wonder why the Windows people think that their 8 or 8.1 was a good idea. What are they sadists? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks Miss Scarlet. You are confirming the horror stories I have read about. That's why I'm trying to find Windows 7. My computer is vital to my practice. I can't afford any down time. I wonder why the Windows people think that their 8 or 8.1 was a good idea. What are they sadists? lol
    I considered that too. But Windows 7 has been around for a number of years. That means it will become obsolete a lot sooner. Seeing that I hold onto computers so long, that was a deciding factor for me.
    Apparently this is the wave of the future. I don't always like the waves of the future, but they have a habit of happening whether I like it or not.

Just think. In a few years, when everyone has to go with this type, I'll be an expert.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Debb, my HP computer died in early March and I bought a Dell with all of the bells and whistles, and yes, it has Windows 8. It was quite the learning curve but I figured it out. There is a free download for Windows 8.1 but I haven't made the switch yet. My old HP was from either 2004 or 2005 and I don't remember what operating system it has. My son's laptop was Windows XP and recently died. He is getting a new laptop for Christmas with Windows 8 and a touch screen, so we will see how it works out. If an old dinosaur like me can figure out Windows 8, I'm sure you can, too. Good luck!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Our desktop computer downstairs is not working. It just froze and it won't boot past the starting screen. We tried a few times now. System restore isn't helping either.

So what I'm trying now is a virus scan through safe mode.
    This is now resolved, for now.
    inthegarden likes this.

My sister just got a new Dell desktop and it has Windows 8 and she seems to be doing alright with it. She says it is an adjustment. When we bought my laptop from Dell we had it built with Windows XP because 7 just came out. I guess I need to take this in and have it updated.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    My old dinosaur computer that I've had for 14 years has Windows ME. Yes, there really was such a thing. It's been unbelievably slow & had trouble with graphics, especially moving ones, for a long time. But the old thing just kept doing what it had to do untill this past Summer/Early Fall. It was a tough old bird. Then it got a Fatal Error every time I went on the Internet. Good for e-mail only.
    My better computer has Windows XP. It's now having problems too. Slow & not agreeable with a lot of sites.
    I felt it was time for an upgrade.

New computer just showed up. It has Windows 8, or 8.1, not sure. I have no idea what to do with the thing! It's totally unlike anything I've ever seen. It's going to be like completely re-learning computers. I'm also changing Internet Providers, so I won't be using it 'till the change over. Right now it's at my techie-guy friend's house getting set up & loaded. He's confused by it too. I've sat down with it a few times & am totally confused, but getting better.
    A lot of people are avoiding it because of the drastic difference. I mean DRASTIC!

The way I figured, if I hang onto a computer for 14 years, I'd might as well get the modern Windows. I guess it's trial-by-fire.
    I'm no spring chicken, so change isn't always my friend, but I figure I have to. Ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.
    I bought a Windows 8 computer, wished afterwards I'd bought something older and more agreeable to me.

If I'd wanted a phone or tablet, I'd of bought one. Windows 8 seems geared more for that crowd than for those that prefer a computer. They even have computers with touch screens. Didn't quite make me want to scream, THAT came along after I tried locating what just to be simple on XP. Or even closing a window.

Not a fan, not even close.

Well, I'm up & running on the new Windows 8.1 computer. I've been playing with it & trying things out, at my techie friend's house, since it showed up, so I've gotten more comfortable with it. I found FORT easily, but can't figure out how to set favorites. It's a desktop with a very large monitor. I didn't go with touch screen. I figured I didn't want to constantly have to be cleaning the screen. I have to figure out how to adjust my brightness. This monitor is blinding me.
    Weird, my desk phone just rang. I'm so used to dial up busying out the line, it scared me when it rang. Darned phone solicitors!

One thing I didn't expect, I'm having an awful time typing on this new keyboard. I keep hitting the wrong keys & the CapsLock key is way too close to the "a". Plus some of the directional keys, like "end" "page dn" "page up" "delete" are in different places. I thought there was some kind of rule about that.

Anyhow, time for a test:
    This is bold
    This is italic
    This is underline
    Click to see Spoiler:
    This is a spoiler

This is blue
    This is red
    This is black again
    This is large
    This is a new font
    Hopefully this is normal again.

I haven't been able to do any of these for a long time.
    Ah, the joys of modern technology.
    Last edited by Miss Scarlet; 12-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Cootie likes this.

I'm listening to some nice music right now.

Something I'd not asked for.

From where?

Who knows?

Could be from about 5 different directions.

Windows 8 doesn't feel like sharing THAT way. Just feels like sharing.

Feel like smacking it. Just don't know which direction to smack.

Windows 8 likes to play mind games. At least I'm forewarned in the future.

Little vixen witch, Windows 8.
    Kip and Miss Scarlet like this.

I've come to the conclusion that it was made for people who do things I don't do & don't do things I do.
    It's huge on the whole "social media" thing, with instant access. I don't do that stuff.
    Also "aps". I'm not really sure what an ap is, & apparently don't use many of them.
    Also for big time gamers which I'm not. I do basic computer solitare games, soduko, word games, stuff like that. And I DON'T want some service keeping track of my scores & comparing them.
    I tried to find those games I like & it keeps wanting me to sign up for some kind of service - NO THANKS!
    It wants to keep track of darned near everything I do. Once again NO THANKS.
    It's idea of Shopping aps have nothing to do with the kind of shopping & sites I go to.
    It wants you to download all sorts of time waster play stuff.

All in all I find it intrusive. I can manage my own life. I don't want someone else keeping track of my passwords, preferences, & filling in my words & address bars & searches with what THEY think I should want. Little by little I'm trying to find ways to turn some of that stuff off.

But of all things, there's not a calculator readily available, nor is there any type of word processing software. I had to buy Microsoft Word & Excel, and install it. For cryin' out load, isn't that what a computer is for: computing?

If you don't have Windows 8.1, there's a free download for anyone with Windows 8. I'd recommend you do that. It adapts some stuff to what I found was a more user friendly method. Similar to the way it used to be. But only when you are on Desktop. Supposedly there is a way to set Desktop as the default when booting up, but I haven't found it. When accessing Internet Explorer browser, I'd recommend doing it through Desktop. Once there, there's a little drop down thing that you can choose "Classic". It's the way we know it.

On the plus side, the Weather ap is right there at the start screen, telling you the current local weather. I love weather. I'm weird like that.
    Accessing your e-mail is also right there & very visually nice. It takes a bit to figure out how to add to your address book. It keeps wanting you to do the whole "social media" thing, but once you figure it out, it's not bad.
    The "help" thing really is helpful.
    8.1 comes with a quite good Antivirus program included. It's not just a trial version, but I'm not sure if it's permanent or if I have to buy a renewal after a year or 2.
    Last but not least, this thing is FAST!
    I haven't watched any TV shows online yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

+ Reply to Thread