+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 44848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

I feel really very odd about something I just discovered. I'm kind of still in shock. I'm wondering if I have lost my mind! lol Have you ever been under one impression about something and then after a long while discovered you were incorrect. And the fact that you operated under this wrong assumption, has now caused you hours of unecessary work! OMG. This is what happened. I still can't figure it out. Maybe someone else can.

My business email is one that I use through At&T. I use Outlook Express for this. When in my office this all I use for business, however, when I would physically leave my office, I could access my inbox, but when I would try to send emails from Outlook Express out of my office, it woud bounce back and not allow it. The emails I attempted to Reply or send out would stay stuck in the Outbox, but never get sent, no matter what I did.

I spoke to my computer guy and several people at work and friends about it. They said yes, that was normal and that they used other ways to send theirs too. I even talked to At&T about it. So, I would send my emails either from At&t webmail or I would go to my Road Runner account and send them from there. I did this for years.

Yesterday, I was out of the office and checking my Outlook express inbox messages and without thinking sent a Reply, forgetting that I had to go to my Road Runner account or Att& webmail to do that. Only it went through. I was shocked. I then sent test messages and they went through. I dont' get it. I feel so foolish.

What has changed? Why did all my emails in the past not go out and why did others agree that theirs didn't either?

I'm super happy, because this saves me so much time in replying and sending emails when out of the office. I can just go straight from my At&t account. I just don't know how I missed this back in the day. Maybe in the scheme of life, it's no biggie, but for me this is huge! lol

Has Outlook Express changed something?
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

My Windows did an automatic update when I shut down my computer last night. Microsoft often sends out "fixes" during these updates. If yours has done that recently, maybe one of the fixes fixed your Outlook Express? A quick Google of "Outlook Express outbox" shows that a lot of people have had odd things happen with OE.

But the important thing is - now it works for you! YAY!!!!

I guess it's possible that it got fixed and I didn't realize it.

Yes. Outlook did have some very wonky things happen to it over the summer. I lost about a years worth of inbox emails suddenly. They were still there, because my computer guy located them, but they disappeared several times. I have no idea why and neither did he.. I've been blaming it on at&t. They are saved, but I can't access them. Oh well. One problem solved anyway! lol

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. I happened to see this one on display at Staples today and gave it a try. They're on and you can test them. I loved the look with the touch screen. It's impressive.

Here's a link for the details. It's a Lenovo Touchscreen. I've read the reviews on several sites and all of them have been great. One down side is that it doesn't have a CD drive. I sometimes need them for work. I'm not sure if you can get an adapter for that or not.

Also, I had a Lenovo years ago and it seems to me that the spell check was in French and I could never get it to switch to English. Anyone know anything about that?

Lenovo Flex Dual-Mode 15.6" Touch Screen Laptop | Staples®

My MacBook Air doesn't have a CD/DVD drive — which, for me, is no big deal.
    However, if I did need one, I could get an external CD/DVD drive. I think it would plug into the USB port. (Though I'm sure that by now there are wireless ones available. My external backup hard drive is wireless.)

There's gotta be something similar available for the Lenovo, I would think.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I would need that, because I sometimes get things on CD's from the police or client's as evidence and need to be able to view it. I'll look into the external one that hooks by USB port.

I'm still concerned about the spell check though. I think I'll call the company tomorrow and ask about it. If you can only have a french spell check, that's a deal breaker, but if that were the case, wouldn't you think that the reviews would mention it? It's a biggie, IMO.

I've also done price checking and while I can't believe it, Staples has the best price! That's a first. lol

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I did a little googling, and it appears that English IS available, but lots of people seem to have spell check issues with their Lenovos. It's a GOOD idea to check with the company!!!

I will. If my memory is correct, the Lenovo I had before only had French for spellcheck and gave you no other option. It was very frustrating.

I will check with the company and also confirm it by going back to Staples and checking it out on their display model.

Does anyone know of a way to backup my Desktop files onto my External Hardrive without having to drop and drag or save and send each file indivicually? Is there a way to do it all at once. I have been doing it individually, but it's going to take a while. I've googled and read a lot about it, but I can't seem to get my answer. Any tips would be helpful.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm not sure if this will work since I haven't tried it but on my computer at work, if I click on Documents or Computer from the start menu, there's a menu on the left side of the screen. Under Favorites, there's an icon labeled Desktop. When I right-click on Desktop, I get a menu that includes Send To. You can try using that option to send your desktop to your external hard drive. I'm not sure if that will copy the actual files to your hard-drive or just create a shortcut link to those files. Hopefully, it will copy the files.

I nearly forgot to mention, you can select more than one file by holding down the CTRL button while clicking on the files you want to copy.
    Last edited by pikachu; 11-18-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Masterchef 5 Pool: Registration Closed
    So You Think You Can Dance 11 Pool: Registration deadline: July 9th
    Face Off 7: TBA

+ Reply to Thread