+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Um. Maybe. (it's the home computer, I can't check). But if I do, it's been in there for ages.

Honestly, I think the computer's dying. It takes forever to boot up. I've gotten the C drive error twice in three days. The first time I rebooted and it worked ok. The second time was last night -- I decided to let it defrag while I slept, and so I started that and then woke up this morning to the C drive error. I hit control-alt-delete to reboot, went to put on makeup, and came back to a completely off computer.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

That's happened to me once. Had one in for awhile, then got the same message after I had use it several times.

So I should try just taking the CD out?

I had left one in for quite sometime, had used my computer several times since, then one day it wouldn't start up. I got the same message, took the CD out and it started up. I'm by no means a computer guru, but that has happened to me.

Thanks, Unk. I'll try it. I certainly like the idea of that as the solution, more than my fear that it's just dying altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Ouch. Sounds like you've got some busted capacitors on your motherboard. There's nothing a home user can do about that, unfortunately. HP is right, the only option is motherboard replacement. You may not have a choice except bringing your computer to an authorized repair shop to have the motherboard replaced. It's probably not available to consumers, but they should be able to get one.

The other alternative would be for you to buy a motherboard yourself and basically assemble your own computer, but I don't know if you're comfortable with that.

An aside: I thought busted caps was a problem the industry already fixed. Another one?
    Well, you at least give me hope that I can get the computer fixed. I was really not looking forward to having to buy a whole new system. I believe my next system will be either a Sony or Dell. Consumer Reports have them at the top 10, where HP and Gateway are at the bottom. Figures.

Nope, I couldn't put the computer together myself, but I do have friends that could. I think I will let Best Buy do their thing and then let my friends check it out to make sure all is well.

I cleaned off the corrosion and couldn't find where it had leaked from. I should have found a crack or hole or something, right?

Thanks for the help.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    If you have DSL, that's to be expected. My DSL provider gave me some connectors to plug in between the wall and the phone to get rid of the static.
    Someone else suggested this also. We are using dialup. It worked fine, then all of a sudden as soon as you plug in the phone line to the modem you can't use the phone. It is almost like once you plug the line into the modem, the modem is trying to dial out without being prompted to. You may be right though we may just need those connectors.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    I cleaned off the corrosion and couldn't find where it had leaked from. I should have found a crack or hole or something, right?
    I'm not sure. This site has some good pictures of what are clearly bad capacitors, and I don't see any obvious holes or cracks. In any case, there really isn't much you can do except let the shop fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I'm not sure. This site has some good pictures of what are clearly bad capacitors, and I don't see any obvious holes or cracks. In any case, there really isn't much you can do except let the shop fix it.
    Thank You! I have a friend who can put one of these replacement kits in for me. I knew someone on this great site would have valuable information! Now to find out if he has a kit for my computer. Thanks again!

HELP!
    My computer may have died. Last night I rebooted because it was going slow, and never could get back to even where the desktop loads. I was getting "General Failure reading drive C" errors -- which suggests to me the hard drive is dying. And then I was getting various other error messages, like "Windows protection error" and something about not being able to find a "VK" device. I don't even know what that is.

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new, not-too-expensive desktop computer (Dell? HP? Anyone have a preference?) but would love to be able to revive my old one long enough to frolic online until a new one arrives. Anyone have any ideas how to get past these errors? I can't even get far enough at this point to run any scans or anything that might help. I was ready to take it out and shoot it last night.

By the way, it's a 1999 Dell, running Windows 98. And I have the original manual and I THINK the original disk. Although the manual is no help -- its troubleshooting section has things like how to connect the mouse. Thanks, I got that -- where's the section for "Six years later, when things go bad"?
    Last edited by Lucy; 06-28-2005 at 01:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread