+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 397980818283848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Sorry I have never even heard of spam digest.

Ok thanks.

I still haven't found any information either. I'm going to have to write Mr Gates, I seem to think this might be a Vista update.

Can't get my Yahoo Msger to pop up for me to login. I just used it the other day and it was working fine. I haven't made any changes to anything. I've tried reinstalling it and that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: I'm running Windows 7

ETA2: Problem fixed.
    Last edited by sweet_lady; 02-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3812659;
    I'm having an issue that I cannot figure out. If someone is familiar with this, I will be very gratefull!

Suddenly, my junk email, which usually would just go into my junk folder, Microsoft Outlook, is now going into one big email called Spam Digest. Every day or so, I get an email in my junk folder called "Your Daily Spam Digest", once you open that email, all your junk email is in there. So for eg, there might be 20 emails, all junk, each email has a hyperlink, if you want the email, you have to release it, add the address to a whitelist, and it gets re routed into your in box. The hyperlinks are all mushed together, its impossible to read each title and figure out what's what, and the worse part is it sends perfectly normal emails I get from normal senders into that Spam Digest.

I have found sites where you can "simply" change the settings of your Spam Digest, that would be great, if I could find the Spam Digest program!! No where does it tell me, where this came from, or where I can find it.

Here is an example of what the email looks like:

53.8 Good Assortment Of Quality Software. ***hyperlinks would be here*****SPAM 01/26/2010 at 01:17:51 AM ****more links**** Whitelist***click these links here if you want to add the sender to your safe list....*****Release****click these links if you want to release the email and send it to your in box...****

There are so many of these in a row, no spaces inbetween and very difficult to read. If you convert it to plain text, you loose the ability to release the email.

Any information would be appreciated.
    Sorry for quoting myself, but I just flipping found the problem! My email through work, is rerouted to my outlook. I very seldom go to the server email, because its a duplicate of my Outlook, and I don't like the program they run it in. After checking every option available in Outlook, I decided to check that other server program's option settings. Low and behold,

Spam Digest
    This feature sends a periodic email that summarizes spam that your account received. Current Status: Disabled Daily Weekly Monthly
    Sort Results By: Date Score
    As you can see, it is now disabled.
    In case anyone else ever has this problem, I thought I'd post my findings, finally!

I hope someone can help with this.

For the last few weeks I've been having trouble opening threads in the forums here. I am able to open some threads, but not others. The ones I can open take a few seconds to a minute to open, and then when I change pages, but they do load. For example, one of my favorite forums is Dancing With the Stars. I can open most of the threads, but have not be able to open the "Jake and Chelsie" one at all. It goes to a blank white page most of the time. Sometimes it will go to "Internet Explorer cannot open this page." Today, I was not able to access the media thread unless I logged out. The minute I log in, I cannot open it.

I have reset the security settings on my computer and tried using a different server - didn't make any difference.

It's frustrating! I can't even access my private message box to pm a moderator about this.

Is it happening to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions? When it first started I hadn't made any changes to the computer. It was fine one day, and not the next.

This is discussed a little in the Annoucements/Help forum. It's not just you, it's everyone. TVGuide is mucking with the servers because they want us to be on their internal server. We have found that changing the number of posts that display in a thread to 20 or so can help you open up the bigger threads. Other than that, there's really nothing we can do.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Beachmom,

I've had intermittent problems, but usually just when there's too much traffic on the site - like during Bachelor, or sometimes when I try to open a link someone's posted, etc.

Why don't you just do a system restore?
    That always seems to work for me when I'm suddenly having a problem.

Good Luck!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3868687;
    This is discussed a little in the Annoucements/Help forum. It's not just you, it's everyone. TVGuide is mucking with the servers because they want us to be on their internal server. We have found that changing the number of posts that display in a thread to 20 or so can help you open up the bigger threads. Other than that, there's really nothing we can do.
    Thanks hepcat! I did what you suggested and my problems are gone!

norealityhere, thanks for the advice! I thought about doing a system restore, and that was going to be my next step, but last time I did that it ended up being nothing but problems! It was probably because one of my kids had downloaded a "safe" - yeah, right - music site!

Okay, I'm having some weirdness with my Dell laptop. It's like the battery has been run down to zero, even though it's been plugged in. It was plugged into what I think now is a bad outlet, so the battery may have run down and then the machine shut off. Right now, I've got it plugged into another outlet and there is power coming through the cord. I switched to a different battery too. My problem is that I can't figure out how to check the charging status on the battery. It's not showing up down on the status bar like it usually does. I'm worried that, if I unplug it, it will just turn off, which is what it did a while ago.

Anyone know how to check the battery charge status AND have you had this problem before? I rarely use this machine on battery power, so I'm sort of surprised that it pooped out on me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3942498;
    Okay, I'm having some weirdness with my Dell laptop. ...Anyone know how to check the battery charge status AND have you had this problem before? I rarely use this machine on battery power, so I'm sort of surprised that it pooped out on me.
    I might be able to give you specifics if you tell me your model # and OS version. In my OS (Windows 7) there's a battery icon down on the bottom taskbar, and I can hover the mouse over it and I see what % the battery is charged.

How old is the laptop? Batteries wear out, and oddly enough one of the worst things for them are to be left in the computer fully charged while the computer is plugged in to the wall. They are doing nothing but absorbing heat and losing capability. In that long term desktop situation it's better to take the battery out of the computer. But that's water under the bridge, eh?

Bottom line is that if the battery is several years old, it may be time to get a new one.

Just as a matter of course, at the two year mark, I like to:
    • Buy a new battery
    • Replace the memory with bigger RAM chips
    • Put in a new hard drive
    • Upgrade or reinstall the operating system and all the programs

It adds up to about $350 of upgrades, and it refreshes the computer to the point where I can easily get another year or two out of it.

+ Reply to Thread