+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 98 FirstFirst ... 387879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3679879;
    That is some sort of annoying gadget that has been downloaded. Its suppose to be your own personalized Google page. I personally don't like it.

Check the top right hand corner somewhere on the home page, look for "Classic Home" or "Classic View", that should bring you back to your normal Google. Before you close IE go to Tools Internet Options, and make sure your home page is http:// google.com or whatever you want your page to be. Right now it might be http:// igoogle.com or something like that.
    THanks so much. I had clicked on the classic when I first saw it, but it was not the classic in the upper right corner, so perhaps that is why it did not work.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3679881;
    That's what I originally thought. There is some sort of conflict with your 32bit and 64 bit and Windows update is trying to update something that doesn't need updating. The system doesn't switch from one to the other from what I've always been told. Some programs are not compatable with 32bit but your system might not be compatable with 64 bit.

I would take it to a professional to have it checked over for fear that more things will go wrong if the original problem is not corrected.

Maybe an expert can explain it better and fix it quickly. Hope it gets fixed for you Melitta.
    I am going to call Best Buy today and see if this problem is covered under the warranty that I have on my computer. I wanted to see if I could fix it myself, with help from others on here, since it is such a pain to disconnect the computer and take it in. I don't even have the option of restoring and NOT doing the windows update since the original IE shortcut still won't work when I do that. I now can't click on any links in my emails cause they are still trying to use the "old" IE connect. Anyway, Thanks to all who gave advice, if I find a solution, I will post it just in case anyone else has this happen to them.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Please do post the solution Melitta. I'd be interested in knowing as well. Its such a pain to disconnect everything, but good luck, I'm sure they can figure it out.

After spending most of the day yesterday on Microsoft forums and doing each suggestion that has been recommended on there (I am one of MANY people that this problem is happening to) nothing worked. So, I took a deep breath and put the big girl panties on and downloaded FireFox. Guess I didn't need the big girl panties for it, as it loaded right up and all add ons and web sites were back to normal. LOL. I didn't remove IE, but that may be a possibility once I learn FireFox. I am finding I kind of like FireFox better than IE. I have already downloaded their ReminderFox and loaded the baseball and softball schedules for the kids on it...it's awesome!

Anyway, during my searches yesterday I have found that I have corrupt files that are associated with the system running in 32 bit. I am not sure how to get in there and fix them as yesterday it kept telling me I wasn't allowed in that certain Log file. I don't have an administrator set up on this computer and that may be why it isn't letting me in. So, here's a new question. Since I can download FireFox and all add ons and applications are now working...then that means it is an IE problem and not Vista...Correct? I did try a new install of IE8 yesterday and it told me that it wasn't compatiable with my system. Ummm, I upgraded to IE8 about 2 or 3 months ago...it was compatiable then. LOL.

Stupid computers, they get to change their minds and make up rules as they go along! Much like women! I speak for myself. I had a heck of a time upgrading to IE8 a couple of months ago, but I finally got it working with my Vista and have not had any problems. I'm glad firefox worked for you. Sounds like the corrupt files running in 32 bit is what was giving you the IE problems.

I know many people had alot of problems with Vista and will never use it again, so who knows. I like it and other than the upgrade to IE8 I have not had any issues. (knock on wood, hate to jinx myself!)

Happy computing Melitta, until we run into another problem!!

Safari and OS X. No problems at all. Looking forward to trying it with Snow Leopard as soon as I get it loaded in.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3682561;
    Safari and OS X. No problems at all. Looking forward to trying it with Snow Leopard as soon as I get it loaded in.
    Good for you! Hope it all goes well!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3679214;
    There are so many of them available. Depending on what Operating System you are using, Windows has Windows defender which is pretty good.

I use AVG, the free edition. AVG Free http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-vi…

I've used AdAware as well, but I find it deleted files that I wanted.
    thankss...
    they really do....and well... i don't like Adaware either....
    hahaha

Even with downloading FireFox, I was still having issues. So, I just wiped the whole system back to the day I brought it home. It took several days for all the updates to install, as I had to reinstall almost a years worth of them. Anyway, everything is back to normal. My only thing is now...my service pack 2 for Vista wants to install and so far I haven't let it. I am not sure if that was the one that messed everything up or not. I guess I can install it and then if things mess up, just take it off...just the thought of anything with the computer other than playing on it, is not what I want to do. LOL. I have also paid for PC Matic for my "all in one" security, driver loader, spyware...you name it, it does it. For $50 I got a years worth of service and can load it on up to 5 different systems. I have always had really good luck with PC Pitstop so I think I made a good choice in purchasing their PC Matic protection...at least I hope so. Big thanks to all who tried to help me out with the issues I was having!

I'm having an issue that I cannot figure out. If someone is familiar with this, I will be very gratefull!

Suddenly, my junk email, which usually would just go into my junk folder, Microsoft Outlook, is now going into one big email called Spam Digest. Every day or so, I get an email in my junk folder called "Your Daily Spam Digest", once you open that email, all your junk email is in there. So for eg, there might be 20 emails, all junk, each email has a hyperlink, if you want the email, you have to release it, add the address to a whitelist, and it gets re routed into your in box. The hyperlinks are all mushed together, its impossible to read each title and figure out what's what, and the worse part is it sends perfectly normal emails I get from normal senders into that Spam Digest.

I have found sites where you can "simply" change the settings of your Spam Digest, that would be great, if I could find the Spam Digest program!! No where does it tell me, where this came from, or where I can find it.

Here is an example of what the email looks like:

53.8 Good Assortment Of Quality Software. ***hyperlinks would be here*****SPAM 01/26/2010 at 01:17:51 AM ****more links**** Whitelist***click these links here if you want to add the sender to your safe list....*****Release****click these links if you want to release the email and send it to your in box...****

There are so many of these in a row, no spaces inbetween and very difficult to read. If you convert it to plain text, you loose the ability to release the email.

Any information would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread