+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3678484;
    I don't have the HID NON-USER INPUT DATA FILTER listed. I have 2 listings labeled...HID compliant consumer control device, 2 listings for...HID compliant device and 4 listings for...USB Human Interface Device. I did a mouse driver update, but it said I had the updated driver already.
    I saw some posts of other people who didn't have the HID NON-USER INPUT DATA FILTER either, and they went to HID COMPLIANT DEVICE, right clicked on it and then clicked update and it updated to HID NON-USER INPUT DATA FILTER. Try that, I hope it works. I know how annoying it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3678491;
    Here is what I found. I have 2 Internet Explorer's listed in my accessories. One is just IE and one is IE 64 bit. I am not sure how come I have two of them listed, but the IE will not work, even though the file is iexplore.exe. The IE 64 bit will work and the file for it is also iexplore.exe. The only thing is running the 64 bit, now none of my add ons work. I checked Internet tools and enabled them, but I keep getting that they aren't compatable with 64 bit. I have no clue why all of a sudden my Explorer is running in 64 bit. I changed my screen resolution, thinking that may have had something to do with it, but still nothing. I am running Vista with Windows 8 if anyone has any more suggestions and thanks for your help GuardianAngel!
    I will check this out further for you. I'm on another laptop right now, my normal laptop at work, has Vista and IE 8. I'd rather use that laptop to check it out. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

I know others have more success with Firefox using Vista, but I really haven't had any IE problems at all since switching to Vista (knock on wood)!

FORT Regular

ahmmm.....question???
    is there a spam protector application i can install to my pc???
    i hate spams..
    and i often stumble many of them...........

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3678491;
    Here is what I found. I have 2 Internet Explorer's listed in my accessories. One is just IE and one is IE 64 bit. I am not sure how come I have two of them listed, but the IE will not work, even though the file is iexplore.exe. The IE 64 bit will work and the file for it is also iexplore.exe. The only thing is running the 64 bit, now none of my add ons work. I checked Internet tools and enabled them, but I keep getting that they aren't compatable with 64 bit. I have no clue why all of a sudden my Explorer is running in 64 bit. I changed my screen resolution, thinking that may have had something to do with it, but still nothing. I am running Vista with Windows 8 if anyone has any more suggestions and thanks for your help GuardianAngel!
    Melitta, I'm no expert that's for sure. I've just self taught myself over many years with the help from online experts. From what I can see it appears there is a conflict somewhere between the two IE. I have a 32bit running Vista and IE 8 which I upgraded a couple of months ago from IE7.

Check this site. Some Web sites may not be displayed correctly or work correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 8

I would also try restoring my computer to a previous state. I find that I've had to do that a couple of times because Window's does its automatic update and sometimes it messes something else up.

Is it possible you upgraded to IE8 62bit instead of 32 bit? I would also try installing the IE 8 again. First go to All Programs, System Tools, Accessories, System Information, it will tell you if you have a 32bit or 64 bit Operating System. Then install the proper IE8. Hopefully it will ask you if you want to uninstal the wrong one, because uninstalling IE's can be a pain.

You can try restoring by doing this:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
    On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
    On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
    On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
    The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
    Click OK.
    If you successfully restored your computer

If someone else knows exactly what the problem is, I'd be interested in knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3679067;
    ahmmm.....question???
    is there a spam protector application i can install to my pc???
    i hate spams..
    and i often stumble many of them...........
    There are so many of them available. Depending on what Operating System you are using, Windows has Windows defender which is pretty good.

I use AVG, the free edition. AVG Free http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-vi…

I've used AdAware as well, but I find it deleted files that I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3679212;
    Melitta, I'm no expert that's for sure. I've just self taught myself over many years with the help from online experts. From what I can see it appears there is a conflict somewhere between the two IE. I have a 32bit running Vista and IE 8 which I upgraded a couple of months ago from IE7.

Check this site. Some Web sites may not be displayed correctly or work correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 8

I would also try restoring my computer to a previous state. I find that I've had to do that a couple of times because Window's does its automatic update and sometimes it messes something else up.

Is it possible you upgraded to IE8 62bit instead of 32 bit? I would also try installing the IE 8 again. First go to All Programs, System Tools, Accessories, System Information, it will tell you if you have a 32bit or 64 bit Operating System. Then install the proper IE8. Hopefully it will ask you if you want to uninstal the wrong one, because uninstalling IE's can be a pain.

You can try restoring by doing this:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
    On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
    On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
    On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
    The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
    Click OK.
    If you successfully restored your computer

If someone else knows exactly what the problem is, I'd be interested in knowing.
    GuardianAngel, first off let me say Thank You for all the advice you are giving me and taking the time to do it. I did upgrade to IE8, but that was about 2 months ago and up until last week, everything was fine with IE. Just one day last week the shortcut all of a sudden wouldn't work.

I am going to go in and try and restore to a previous setting. I know I was thinking of doing it before, but can't remember why I didn't do it.

I do have a 64 bit operating system. I checked that out, but like I said, I have had the computer for almost a year and no problems, then last week the shortcut quit connecting and now when I try adding Adobe Reader and add ons like that, they aren't compatable with 64 bit. Since I had them before, something changed and I don't know what. LOL. My kids like to play on POG.com and whichever add on is needed to play those games won't work. They are really bummed. LOL.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

OK, here is what I have now. I did the restore, I went back 10 days, just to make sure I was restoring to a good point. When I restarted, my shortcut was back to my original IE (I had removed it and added the IE 64bit shortcut). The shortcut still didn't work. I looked in system tools and IE 64bit wasn't listed anymore. Then Windows needed to do an update and when that was finished, the IE 64bit listing in system tools was there again, along with the regular IE. I checked in task manager and it is saying I am running in 64bit, I tried to do a browse and find my old IE, but there are a million things listed there and I don't know where to look. From what I am getting, Windows did an update and somehow switched me to 64bit. I looked in control panel and under the system it says, "64bit can not be your default". Well, 64bit is the only one listed...so how do I keep it from being my default? LOL

Thanks to anyone who can help and to those who have already given advice. I am to scared to change to FoxFire or Mozilla, I have never done anything like that and I am pretty sure I would probably screw it up. LOL.

Here is another thing. If I go into Help, Troubleshooting and Repair IE, I can access the internet that way. That is the way I was using before I found the 64bit listing and made a shortcut for it.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Is anyone else having trouble with Google?
    It's now iGoogle and it either shuts my computer down or just locks up. AArgh! Anyone else having this problem?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3679537;
    Is anyone else having trouble with Google?
    It's now iGoogle and it either shuts my computer down or just locks up. AArgh! Anyone else having this problem?
    That is some sort of annoying gadget that has been downloaded. Its suppose to be your own personalized Google page. I personally don't like it.

Check the top right hand corner somewhere on the home page, look for "Classic Home" or "Classic View", that should bring you back to your normal Google. Before you close IE go to Tools Internet Options, and make sure your home page is http:// google.com or whatever you want your page to be. Right now it might be http:// igoogle.com or something like that.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 08-26-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3679506;
    OK, here is what I have now. I did the restore, I went back 10 days, just to make sure I was restoring to a good point. When I restarted, my shortcut was back to my original IE (I had removed it and added the IE 64bit shortcut). The shortcut still didn't work. I looked in system tools and IE 64bit wasn't listed anymore. Then Windows needed to do an update and when that was finished, the IE 64bit listing in system tools was there again, along with the regular IE. I checked in task manager and it is saying I am running in 64bit, I tried to do a browse and find my old IE, but there are a million things listed there and I don't know where to look. From what I am getting, Windows did an update and somehow switched me to 64bit. I looked in control panel and under the system it says, "64bit can not be your default". Well, 64bit is the only one listed...so how do I keep it from being my default? LOL

Thanks to anyone who can help and to those who have already given advice. I am to scared to change to FoxFire or Mozilla, I have never done anything like that and I am pretty sure I would probably screw it up. LOL.

Here is another thing. If I go into Help, Troubleshooting and Repair IE, I can access the internet that way. That is the way I was using before I found the 64bit listing and made a shortcut for it.

That's what I originally thought. There is some sort of conflict with your 32bit and 64 bit and Windows update is trying to update something that doesn't need updating. The system doesn't switch from one to the other from what I've always been told. Some programs are not compatable with 32bit but your system might not be compatable with 64 bit.

I would take it to a professional to have it checked over for fear that more things will go wrong if the original problem is not corrected.

Maybe an expert can explain it better and fix it quickly. Hope it gets fixed for you Melitta.

+ Reply to Thread