+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

. . . or simply toting the printer to the outside trash. . . .
    No, no, no!!! That's electronic waste and should be taken to a recycling center, or (as someone else posted) to Staples for credit on a new one. (Dumping electronics in the outside trash is illegal here.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yes RECYCLE. There are/could be small amounts of lead and/or mercury on/in the computer boards etc. that need to be recycled. Same with the compact fluorescent lights we now use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3405889;
    No, no, no!!! That's electronic waste and should be taken to a recycling center, or (as someone else posted) to Staples for credit on a new one. (Dumping electronics in the outside trash is illegal here.)
    Unfortunately, we don't have recycling centers around here; I think there are some closer to Atlanta, but that is at least an hour away, during business hours. So, around here, it's sad but true--it all goes into the same dump.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb, you may be able to just take it to any electronics store and let them know you don't want to throw it in the trash.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Bug, there is nothing wrong with my printer--the original post where I suggested putting a printer in the trash was a joke.
    If mine tore up I'd probably put it on Freecycle--there is always someone out there who will try to fix anything. Then it would be their problem, not mine.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

that's what I get for not reading every word... I'm lazy today.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Well, I was on the phone with the online help people from HP.,
    It's a hardware malfunction problem. No surprise to me as I'd tried all the usual things and nothing worked. They did offer me a deal on a reconditioned printer that would have a 1 year warranty. It is similar to mine - newer model - and it would be $90.
    I will have to see how that compares with he $50 rebate from Staples. I still think things are built for a very short shelf life these days. Sad, indeed.
    Living in an upscale part of So. Ca, I am always shocked by how many of my neighbors just discard computer / printers, etc. in the trash. CA says they're looking for ways to increase revenue. Perhaps, they should considering fining these violators.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

By the way, I did check into the Staples $50 deal.
    It only applies to the higher priced printers.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

When I went to Staples, the guy said that the printers or all-in-ones have to be regularly priced at $179 or above. But if one was on sale for say $129 or $149, but was originally priced at $179 or above, you would still get the $50 rebate. So you can get a decent printer or AIO for close to $100 after the rebate.

I got the officejet 6500 wireless, regularly priced at $199 on sale for $179 minus $50 = $129. It is a wireless printer, copier, scanner and fax, eco friendly, etc. Not a bad deal and I was able to dump my old printer on them. OF course, I paid $179 for it, and will get a rebate in the mail in the form of one of those $50 Visa cards. Still, I will have $50 to play with when that comes in the mail.

The only problem I had with the setup was when I was trying to tie in my daughter's laptop to the wireless printer. It took me a few tries before I realized that the new printer was not marked as her default printer. Duh!
    Last edited by MamaC; 04-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.

I'm intrigued by the Verizon Wireless Netbook offered for $200 with a monthly contract for service. Of course I know nothing about computers and am curious what you who do think of it. Does the monthly service mean I can take it anywhere and use it as a laptop?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread