+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 98 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

CCL

Re: Computer help desk

I don't think so. It wasn't giving popups it was just making the internet slow and, like I said, google wasn't working properly. Also, when using google, at the bottom it would say "7.7.7.0" when it was searching. I did a yahoo search of that term and it seemed like a problem others had been having, too, and the tech guy said he had seen it before.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3260327;
    Was it that "Antivirus 2009" thing? That tried to attack me yesterday. It wouldn't let me close the pop up, telling me I had a trojan and had to download Antivirus 2009 to get rid of it. I finally closed the window and went to the Microsoft site, it said that AV2009 was a virus. When you download to fix the problem, it loads it and it is a bugger to get rid of.
    Ugh. Over my Christmas vacation we got infected at home with a piece of Malware. It dropped a little red shield icon in our system tray and was constanly popping up a message saying something like "You have a security problem!" One of my kids is an avid WoW player and he was having a fit because this thing kept trying to take control and boot him out of his game! Anyway, I ended up kicking my kids off the computer until I could solve it because I didn't want them making it worse. If you actually clicked on the message it would route to a web page that looked a lot like the system status summary your virus software would give you. However, this site would try to get you to download something. It was tricky because the pop-up that tried to make you download only had Save and Run buttons - no Cancel or Exit! From my research I discovered that if you follow the path it sets out for you it will try to get you to buy some kind of "antivirus software" to solve the malware problem - who knows what it actually does!! I was able to download the freebie version of some anti-malware program that was able to identify and remove this for me!!!

On another note, has anyone been having issues with Mozilla Firefox lately? It has been my regular browser on my work computer for some time now, but over the last few months it seems to just get flakier and flakier. For example when I click certain buttons on a number of webpagea - like the Edit button on something I have posted on FORT - it just churns and churns and never actually does anything. I try the same action on IE it works just fine. And then yesterday and today I have tried to click on actions on a couple of sites and the browser just goes off into lala land and I have to kill it completely. I checked for new versions and it says I have the most recent. thought I would see if anyone else was having this kind of trouble before I try to reinstall it from scratch.

CCL

Is it Firefox 3? I've heard there were/are some problems with it loading pages and stuff. If you do a google search some tips should come up; maybe they will help.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3277846;
    Is it Firefox 3? I've heard there were/are some problems with it loading pages and stuff. If you do a google search some tips should come up; maybe they will help.
    Actually it is Firefox 2. Interesting because when I checked for updates it didn't even tell me there was a Firefox 3! I'll have to look into it and if I find good news I'll try upgrading. Thx!!

ETA - Well, I did very little research and then decided it couldn't be any worse and went for the upgrade. SO FAR it is looking much better!! Thx CCL for getting me to clue in to the release I was running on!!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.

I have a really, really stupid question I hope someone can help me with soon - I need to download the latest version of itunes on my computer and a box pops up asking if I want to run it or save it. Which do I want?
    Count your blessings!

if you run it, you will run it from 'their' location, and it should install. If you save it - you will have a copy of the program to run, but you then have to run it anyhow.
    Depends if you want to keep a copy of the executable on your hard drive.

Thanks schmoo2 - if I understood you, I can just run it and it will install. I don't have a lot of memory, so I don't want to save it if that's not necessary.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3281274;
    Thanks schmoo2 - if I understood you, I can just run it and it will install. I don't have a lot of memory, so I don't want to save it if that's not necessary.
    You can just run it and it will install, but I wanted to point out just a couple of things...

(1) I am assuming by "memory" you mean space on your hard drive. Even if you click Save and then run it, you can delete the original piece you saved because it is only necessary for the install. After that you don't need it anymore.

(2) I would consider clicking Run completely safe in this case because it is iTunes you are dealing with, but if it was coming from a less than stellar source it is a good idea to click Save and scan it with an anti-virus program before running it.

hi everyone...thanks to all of you who provide help in this forum...i lurk alot and usually get my answers ...however i can't find a solution to my problem...i am running vista..IE 7...lately..when i click on favorites and choose where i want to go..my system freezes..if i click any other application that is open..then go back to my favorites..the page will suddenly take me to my favorite which i originally clicked on..i've tried cleaning my cache..temp files etc..doesn't seem to help..any suggestions? thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3282873;
    hi everyone...thanks to all of you who provide help in this forum...i lurk alot and usually get my answers ...however i can't find a solution to my problem...i am running vista..IE 7...lately..when i click on favorites and choose where i want to go..my system freezes..if i click any other application that is open..then go back to my favorites..the page will suddenly take me to my favorite which i originally clicked on..i've tried cleaning my cache..temp files etc..doesn't seem to help..any suggestions? thanks again
    Have you installed service pack 1? We had all kinds of weird slow and erratic behavior on our Vista system, but it seems to have gone away since we installed the service pack (for now anyway).

To see if you have the service pack:
    1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Look in the Windows Edition section at the top right side of the window. If the service pack is installed, you will see a reference to Windows Vista SP1 displayed.

If you do not have it you can use Windows Update to check for updates (which will include the SP), follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
    2. In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
    3. After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
    4. Click to select the check boxes for the updates that you want to install, and then click Install.

+ Reply to Thread