+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Need help for a computer problem

I think I am at the point where I am going to have to take my computer to the repair shop, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone has had this problem. I know that several of ya'll are very knowledgeable with computers, I hope someone can help. Here is the problem...

My computer, a HP pavilion 533w running Windows XP, is turning off by itself. No rhyme or reason to when it will do it. It may run for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Mostly the 5 minutes. I am at like 75% free space.

Here is what I have done to try and fix the problem...Not necessarily in this order...
    Disk defrag.
    Registry Clean
    Scan for virus and spyware, came up clean
    Uninstalled all ACPI devices and reinstalled
    Reset BIOS
    Reset power supply
    Turned power supply to "Always On"
    Turned off hibernation and sleep mode
    The last thing I did was called a Destructive Recovery. It takes the computer back to all factory settings and files. Yep, you guessed it, I lost everything on my computer. Good thing I am not someone who does a ton of work on the computer. Anyway, that didn't work either.

Today I opened up the case and all I see is a ton of dust. So, I clean it thinking that maybe it is over heating and turning off. Hook it back up, turn it on, good sign... green light is staying on...AGHHHH... the monitor is now not working. It turns on, stays on about 5 seconds, then goes into energy saving mode and turns off. I can't even boot up to safe mode or BIOS, cause the dang monitor won't stay on. But, I am using the same monitor right now on another computer. WTH???

I really hope someone has an idea of what all this means. Besides of course, buying a new system.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

My only comment is I hate those HP computers. And Compaq. Dell or death for me.

When you opened the tower up, you might have dislodged the video card out of the slot. Check to see if all the cards are seated properly. That should help the monitor problem.

That's about all I got! Good luck!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Seems to me like it is an operating system failure. Especially without the typical hardware failure clues such as the triple beep etc.

My best guess is faulty power supply. Power supply will run you about 25 clams at www.newegg.com. Installing it by yourself is a whole other issue. (It's one of my least favorite things to do when I'm building my computers.)

A tech could do it for fairly inexpensively--it would be less expensive than buying a new computer, at any rate.

Other than that, I couldn't tell you without sitting in front of the PC myself.

Good luck!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

OK, checked to make sure everything was secure, it was.

Upon inspection with a flashlight I found what looks like 6 little cylinder looking things all in a row, located right next to one of the fans, with what looks like corrosion on the top of them. Like when a battery leaks and you get that acidy stuff. HP says that I need a new motherboard, but where the heck do I get one of those? And how can I be sure that they are putting the same product back in? I checked the HP site and they don't sell them. I have no clue where the motherboard is located or what it looks like to get the product number off of it to at least be able to compare with a new one. Radio Shack, Best Buy and CompUSA are approved HP repair shops.

Thanks for all the help!

Oh, one more question. This one is about a laptop. HP also, sorry. When you plug the phone line into the laptop, it makes the line full of static. I know it should have that when dialing out and on the net, but this is just plugging the line into the laptop. I should be able to use the handset, but when you turn the phone on all you get is static. Unplug the line from the laptop, static goes away and you get a dial tone.

The modem tries to dial out. You hear it dial and then nothing. Anyone have any clues on this one?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    OK, checked to make sure everything was secure, it was.

Upon inspection with a flashlight I found what looks like 6 little cylinder looking things all in a row, located right next to one of the fans, with what looks like corrosion on the top of them. Like when a battery leaks and you get that acidy stuff. HP says that I need a new motherboard, but where the heck do I get one of those? And how can I be sure that they are putting the same product back in? I checked the HP site and they don't sell them. I have no clue where the motherboard is located or what it looks like to get the product number off of it to at least be able to compare with a new one. Radio Shack, Best Buy and CompUSA are approved HP repair shops.

Thanks for all the help!
    Ouch. Sounds like you've got some busted capacitors on your motherboard. There's nothing a home user can do about that, unfortunately. HP is right, the only option is motherboard replacement. You may not have a choice except bringing your computer to an authorized repair shop to have the motherboard replaced. It's probably not available to consumers, but they should be able to get one.

The other alternative would be for you to buy a motherboard yourself and basically assemble your own computer, but I don't know if you're comfortable with that.

An aside: I thought busted caps was a problem the industry already fixed. Another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Oh, one more question. This one is about a laptop. HP also, sorry. When you plug the phone line into the laptop, it makes the line full of static. I know it should have that when dialing out and on the net, but this is just plugging the line into the laptop. I should be able to use the handset, but when you turn the phone on all you get is static. Unplug the line from the laptop, static goes away and you get a dial tone.

The modem tries to dial out. You hear it dial and then nothing. Anyone have any clues on this one?
    If you have DSL, that's to be expected. My DSL provider gave me some connectors to plug in between the wall and the phone to get rid of the static.

Ok, can anyone tell me what it means when I get an "error, cannot read C drive" message as I'm trying to boot up the computer?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Have you got a CD in?

+ Reply to Thread