+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 98 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3245442;
    the problem is I love this machine and there's really nothing wrong with it. My boss approves everything without even blinking. I could have a new computer tomorrow no questions asked but I really do like my old one. It runs off of 2000 instead of XP which all of the new machines come with. I also have way more hard drive space on the old machine than any of the new machines have. It's been a day since I was locked out so I'm crossing my fingers that a couple of fixes I found on the net are actually working!
    If the new ones come with XP, I would take the new one too!! Especially if it has a wide screen. I got a new laptop at work this year with a wide screen and I love it!!! On the other hand, if the new ones came with Vista I would run away screaming and never look back. I don't care what Microsoft claims in their commercials, I have been very unhappy with the instability I have seen in my Vista desktop.

Well I believe I figured out the problem!!

I had a hidden scheduled task that was so old it had a bad password attached to it. It tried to run every morning and once I deleted the task I haven't been locked out since. Crossing my fingers!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Anyone have a suggetion on why my Vista won't keep my settings? Everytime I turn off my computer it loses the setting for the screen saver. With XP when powering off it would show "saving your settings" each time. Vista doesn't or at least mine isn't. I worry that if I don't remember to reset it before I leave the house, I am going end up with images burned into my screen.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3246281;
    Anyone have a suggetion on why my Vista won't keep my settings? Everytime I turn off my computer it loses the setting for the screen saver. With XP when powering off it would show "saving your settings" each time. Vista doesn't or at least mine isn't. I worry that if I don't remember to reset it before I leave the house, I am going end up with images burned into my screen.
    I have never tried to change the screen saver on mine because our monitor goes into power save mode pretty quickly and turns off if we leave it for too long. However, I can try changing mine and see what happens!!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3246281;
    I have Vista and mine keeps my settings. I'm not sure why yours is doing that. I have it set so my screensaver comes on after 15 minutes of the computer being idle and it always does.

I keep my laptop on overnight and today I woke up and the screen said "Internal hard drive cannot be found" and I had to restart like 3 times before I could get it to do anything. I just got this laptop in Sept. so I'm not happy. I have no idea why it did that.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3246316;
    I keep my laptop on overnight and today I woke up and the screen said "Internal hard drive cannot be found" and I had to restart like 3 times before I could get it to do anything. I just got this laptop in Sept. so I'm not happy. I have no idea why it did that.
    That kind of error is my queue to make sure I have everything important backed up before it happens again (and possibly doesn't come back)!!!!

I have my screen saver to come on after 4 minutes. The power supply is set at...turn off display in 3 hours and put the computer to sleep in 4 hours. This all works until I turn my computer off. Then the settings for the power revert back to whatever they were and the screen saver reverts back to start after 1 minute, but it never starts. It is just a pain to have to keep resetting the screen saver every day. I guess I could just keep the monitor at factory settings which is turn off display in 15 minutes, and leave the computer to turn off after 4 hours. But ya know, I have pictures that I sometimes just like to sit and watch the screen saver run through them. Oh well, I guess.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I never have screensavers on any of my computers. It takes up so much space but then again, I don't have to pay for the screens either!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm having to very carefully check everything I type because letters keep getting substituted--I'll type an "O" get "r', "u' makes "y" etc...but not every time. If I type "U" 15 times, I get 12 "u's" and 3 "y's". Woll replacing the keyboard correct this?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

probably. sounds like the one I replaced a few months ago.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread