+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 98 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Does anyone have any idea why a user would be locked out from a network domain for no reason? Everyday I am locked out of my company domain and have to call the India Help Desk to unlock me. I can get into my account with my password, then an hour or so later, I get a message saying it's unable to verify my information. My local help desk is baffled by the whole thing.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3244147;
    Does anyone have any idea why a user would be locked out from a network domain for no reason? Everyday I am locked out of my company domain and have to call the India Help Desk to unlock me. I can get into my account with my password, then an hour or so later, I get a message saying it's unable to verify my information. My local help desk is baffled by the whole thing.
    One of my assistants has the same problem. then the IT guy comes & fiddles around and it work again until there are more updates that restart the computer then it happens again.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

It did all start with forced company "updates" and happens daily now. Maybe I should just have them give me admin rights to unlock my own account when it happens! They want to get me a new machine but all of the software that is on my machine will take almost 2 days to get onto a new machine and that's 2 days I won't be producing any programming stuff.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3244147;
    It did all start with forced company "updates" and happens daily now. Maybe I should just have them give me admin rights to unlock my own account when it happens! They want to get me a new machine but all of the software that is on my machine will take almost 2 days to get onto a new machine and that's 2 days I won't be producing any programming stuff.
    Do you re-boot your computer every morning, if not then I would suggest a re-start not just a log off and log on. If you do a re-start before you leave in the evening or leave you computer locked it is the updates that might be messing with your network (domain)connectivity.

When you login check to make sure you are logging into the domain and not the local computer. Sometimes the updates especially Microsoft will change the domain when they force a reboot.

Whoever is doing the updates is doing this remotely thru an update server which has a domain admin user and password or they would not be able to do the updates so no need to give them yours.

They should be able to take an image of your computer and load the image on you new computer so it is ready to go when they deliver to your desk. If they cannot do that they should have a copy of all your programming software and install in for you before they deliver it.

I manage a computer Help Desk, we have a software library which is where we keep all software installation disks, and an inventory of which computer has which software installed. We have a basic image which has all the standard software which we install on all computers, we then check our inventory to see what additional software is required for that user, and install it. We can have a new computer installed for any employee in under an hour.

Let me know if the rebooting helps.
    Last edited by chaserla; 12-03-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3243701;
    justcoz, yes, you will need a router that hooks to your modem. and then how you pick up the wireless signal depends on what you have available on your computer. if it's a laptop with wireless capabilities, you won't need anything else. but if you have a desktop that's a few years old like mine, you'lll need something to pick up the signal. i have a USB wireless adapter. it's basically an antenna that plugs into a USB port and picks up the wireless signal from the router. i tried a couple of different brands of adapters and have had the best performance when the adapter is the same brand as the router (which is linksys for me).

my router was incredibly easy to set up as the on screen instructions were very easy to follow.

and melitta, our systems show there's another wireless network in our apartment building in addition to ours.
    Thank you for your information. We wish to get a wireless router so that my husband's work computer which has wireless capabilities can access the internet. Would I still need an adapter for our old computer that does not have wireless capabilities if I still have a direct line into my computer? I don't need this computer to be wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3244870;
    Thank you for your information. We wish to get a wireless router so that my husband's work computer which has wireless capabilities can access the internet. Would I still need an adapter for our old computer that does not have wireless capabilities if I still have a direct line into my computer? I don't need this computer to be wireless.
    No, you can hard wire the desktop computer into the router with an ethernet cable. This is what we do at home since we don't need our desktop to function wirelessly either.

I am always surprised by how many people in my neighborhood leave their wireless connections completely unencrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3244872;
    No, you can hard wire the desktop computer into the router with an ethernet cable. This is what we do at home since we don't need our desktop to function wirelessly either.

I am always surprised by how many people in my neighborhood leave their wireless connections completely unencrypted.
    Thank you! That's what we thought but I wanted to check. My mom is coming at Christmas and she has a wireless laptop as well. We're trying to figure out what it will cost to upgrade

I actually piggyback off my neighbor's wireless. It's encrypted but it's the same password as my other neighbor. I guess they both went with the standard one!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3244210;
    In my experience, anytime the bosses offer you a new computer, TAKE IT. It's not an offer that comes along often enough.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3245436;
    In my experience, anytime the bosses offer you a new computer, TAKE IT. It's not an offer that comes along often enough.
    the problem is I love this machine and there's really nothing wrong with it. My boss approves everything without even blinking. I could have a new computer tomorrow no questions asked but I really do like my old one. It runs off of 2000 instead of XP which all of the new machines come with. I also have way more hard drive space on the old machine than any of the new machines have. It's been a day since I was locked out so I'm crossing my fingers that a couple of fixes I found on the net are actually working!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread