+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 98 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Do you have any other info about the Toshiba, Gut? The HP would be okay, but if the Toshiba has a bigger processor (dual core) I'd get that one. With Windows Vista as the operating system, it's going to need all the help it can get with performance.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Does this help? It's all gibberish to me.

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit)
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60
    4GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM
    250GB HDD (5400rpm)
    DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
    Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

I've had good luck with other HP products but I've never had Toshiba.
    Count your blessings!

Once again, sorry for the double post -
    I found this about the Toshiba, too:
    -Vista Home Premium, SP-1
    -AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Transport Technology up to 800MHz)
    -AMD M690G chipset
    -4096MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM
    -250GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
    -ATI Radeon X1250 graphics with 128MB-831MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Seriously - if this makes any sense to you, we must live on different planets.
    Count your blessings!

Your second post is pretty much the same information as your first post

The Toshiba is a better computer and will perform much better. The HP would be okay too, it'll just be slower and may hiccup from time to time when running big programs (or DVDs). If you can afford it, I'd go with the Toshiba.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Thanks! Reading customer comments about the Toshiba Satellite series on Amazon (not that specific one) some complained about them overheating. Does anyone know if this is a significant problem?
    Count your blessings!

All laptops can overheat if they don't have room to breathe. You can buy "chill mats" to keep them cool, but generally if you just keep them on a hard surface they will be okay. You don't want to keep them on your sofa, say, where the fans can't suck in any air to cool the system down. We have all different types of laptops at work, and the Gateways get hot faster than other brands. I haven't noticed it to be a significant problem with Toshibas.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3220400;
    If you're using a router, you might have to go into the security settings for the router. Check the DHCP settings and make sure that it's assigning you an IP within the range it will accept, that it allows incoming connections, the password is correct, that sort of thing.
    I second this suggestion. Any time I have had trouble connecting wirelessly it has been a setting that I needed to tweak. Keep in mind that if you want your connection to be secure (which I highly recommend), you have to sync up the security settings. I generally use WEP, so I have to set the same WEP key thru my router and whatever peripherals we want to use wirelessly (laptops, Xbox 360, Nintendo DSs, etc).

I really don't know enough to know if I'm giving even enough information to answer this properly but here goes. We would like to be able to get on the internet wirelessly. We don't have anything at all that allows us to do that. Is all we need a wireless router that connects to our modem or do we need hardware or software changes also? Right now we are using a dsl modem that is not wireless connection.

justCoz, my mom ordered Internet service from her phone company (AT&T). She bought their router, which connects into her phone line, but doesn't tie up the phone line (does that make sense?). The router uses the WEP encryption that ClosetRTWatcher mentioned. I live right next door to my mom. I have a desk top, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a desk top wireless adapter, plugged it in, typed in her WEP code and I was connected. We are using 2 desk tops and a lap top off of the signal with no problems. I did notice that when I set up my Gateway desk top a few weeks ago, that the wireless adapter (had to buy a new one that was compatible with Vista) picked up another wireless signal other than my mom's AT&T, so I am not sure if you could just buy an adapter and pick up a signal or not. But like ClosetRTWatcher pointed out, WEP is more secure.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

justcoz, yes, you will need a router that hooks to your modem. and then how you pick up the wireless signal depends on what you have available on your computer. if it's a laptop with wireless capabilities, you won't need anything else. but if you have a desktop that's a few years old like mine, you'lll need something to pick up the signal. i have a USB wireless adapter. it's basically an antenna that plugs into a USB port and picks up the wireless signal from the router. i tried a couple of different brands of adapters and have had the best performance when the adapter is the same brand as the router (which is linksys for me).

my router was incredibly easy to set up as the on screen instructions were very easy to follow.

and melitta, our systems show there's another wireless network in our apartment building in addition to ours.

+ Reply to Thread