+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 98 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

MRD

Re: Computer help desk

Is there anyone that can talk me through changing over the server for my email?

Since we moved, we got a different internet company and I haven't been able to figure out how to change the settings so I can send and receive email from the new provider.

I have outlook express.

Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3218842;
    Sorry to double post, but this may be another option for me. My neighbor bought Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 and never installed it. She has given me the CD. Could this be an option for me to install this version of XP on my computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? Is Home Edition way different than Media Edition? It seems that the version I am running on my computer was not sold in retail stores. I was trying to find a store too buy a CD and then came across an article that said it wasn't sold in retail stores. Also, if Home Edition isn't compatabile, can I just use the CD to get to the Recovery console? If so, how? I haven't tried the CD in my computer yet, cause I don't want to make things worse. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Oh, another error message I am getting is:

c:\system volume information\_restore {3DBD88D2-9FFC-498B-A689-A4771362F918}
    RP1252 is corrupt and unreadable run chkdsk utility
    No Melitta, you won't be able to use her CD. Is your computer under warranty? You might be able to call the manufacturer and get a cd sent to you. Or they might want you to send it in. I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're going to have to reinstall your operating system.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3220181;
    Is there anyone that can talk me through changing over the server for my email?

Since we moved, we got a different internet company and I haven't been able to figure out how to change the settings so I can send and receive email from the new provider.

I have outlook express.

Thanks
    Open up Outlook Express and go to TOOLS > ACCOUNTS. On your default mail account (should be a list in the box) click on PROPERTIES and from there you can change your account settings to whatever the new provider gave you.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Burntbrat, thanks for the reply. I finally just took it in to be serviced and the CPU was shot. Or so they are saying right now. They are still working with it, but said that the Pentium 4 is no longer made, which is what they are saying is wrong with it. I am no computer wizzard, so I hope they are telling me the truth. The computer is just over 3 years old. I am really irked that I had that computer customized and built with exactly what I wanted it too do and then to find out parts are already discountined for it. I am now looking at getting a new computer, but I can tell you it will not be a fancy, expensive model like my Dell.

My next question would be, I have a laptop that I bought a wireless card for. It picks up the signal and gets full strenghth, but it will not connect to the Internet. I know there is probably something that I need to check or uncheck, but can't find it. The laptop was used for dial up before the wireless card. Anyone have any ideas?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Are you connecting directly to your service provider wirelessly or are you using a wireless router?

If you're using a router, you might have to go into the security settings for the router. Check the DHCP settings and make sure that it's assigning you an IP within the range it will accept, that it allows incoming connections, the password is correct, that sort of thing.

If you're connecting directly to a provider, make sure that all of your other network connections are disabled so they won't interfere. Go into internet explorer and go to TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > CONNECTIONS and make sure that your lan settings are correct and that there aren't any bad connections in there. Your service provider should have instructions on what you need to set up here.

MRD

Thanks burntbrat, I got that far, I can't make it accept the "settings" for the new server.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Some of you were so helpful finding the right laptop for my older daughter last year. I have a younger daughter who will be heading to college in the fall and the Walmart Black Friday flyer caught my eye... hp G60-121WM, 3GB memory, 160GB hard drive for $448. Also a Toshiba Satellite L30SD-SS897 with 4GB memory and 250 GB hard drive for $548. Since I have no context/experience to know if these are good deals/ good computers, I would once again love those of you who know to weigh in.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to double-post but this is what I've found about the HP with a little digging. One person's comment was that the single core processor with 3GB memory wasn't good. Remember - I have NO idea what that means. Someone else commented that any computer model ending with WM means it was made exclusively for Walmart and of lesser quality. Is that true? I don't want to get her a lemon, but she doesn't need anything too fancy. HELP!!

HP G60-121WM laptop
    3GB memory
    AMD Sempron SI-40
    single core Processor
    2.00GHz, 512KB L2 Cache
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    3073MB DDR2 system memory Super Fast!!!!!
    160GB Hard Driver
    Intergrated Microphone
    Supermulti 8x DVDR/RW Drive
    15.6 Bright View HD
    3 USB 2.0 Ports
    Wireless LAN
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3239612;
    Sorry to double-post but this is what I've found about the HP with a little digging. One person's comment was that the single core processor with 3GB memory wasn't good. Remember - I have NO idea what that means. Someone else commented that any computer model ending with WM means it was made exclusively for Walmart and of lesser quality. Is that true? I don't want to get her a lemon, but she doesn't need anything too fancy. HELP!!

HP G60-121WM laptop
    3GB memory
    AMD Sempron SI-40
    single core Processor
    2.00GHz, 512KB L2 Cache
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    3073MB DDR2 system memory Super Fast!!!!!
    160GB Hard Driver
    Intergrated Microphone
    Supermulti 8x DVDR/RW Drive
    15.6 Bright View HD
    3 USB 2.0 Ports
    Wireless LAN
    I found those same comments for other computers also. Depending on what she wants to do with it it could be a good one or not. If you're looking at spending those kinds of dollars, can you just buy one from the website of the manufacturer?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm afraid that with my total ignorance of what anything means, I'd be lost trying to buy from the manufacturer. She is not that savy herself. She's going to be a culinary student, so I imagine she'll need to write papers, possibly hand them in electronically, and look up recipes. For personal use she'd want to watch DVDs and burn CDs, both of which it does, and send e-mails and check her myspace, AOL, whatever. Does that computer seem like it would cover the basics?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread